Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 AM
.-. .-. started this thread

157 posts, read 370,941 times

Advertisements

FYI
It was just a fee. Guess it was hard to enforce. Now residents must list pets on their personal property tax.
Durham County now collecting pet tax :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,139 times
No big deal. We register our dog and pay the very reasonable fee anyway so we can take advantage of Durham's great dog parks.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM

63 posts, read 216,756 times
PET Tax!?!?! ... really ... PET Tax!?!?! no matter how low a fee it is, government is really getting ridiculous with the taxing of "things" in general and they seem to mess more stuff up along the way. Next thing you know someone will tax my Diabetes!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks76 View Post
PET Tax!?!?! ... really ... PET Tax!?!?! no matter how low a fee it is, government is really getting ridiculous with the taxing of "things" in general and they seem to mess more stuff up along the way. Next thing you know someone will tax my Diabetes!
It's been around for a while, they're basically just changing the name to make it more enforceable.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Exactly, it's a longstanding thing. We got a bill after we first adopted our cat but haven't gotten anything recently. Not a big deal and a good incentive to spay/neuter.

Why shouldn't pet owners have to pay the fees that cover animal control and the like, rather than burdening every citizen with the costs?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Exactly, it's a longstanding thing. We got a bill after we first adopted our cat but haven't gotten anything recently. Not a big deal and a good incentive to spay/neuter.

Why shouldn't pet owners have to pay the fees that cover animal control and the like, rather than burdening every citizen with the costs?
Just for fun, now, really ...

Schools too? Pet owners and Parents?
Don't we all benefit indirectly from animal control and the education of the kiddies?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Don't we all benefit indirectly from animal control and the education of the kiddies?
Yup, everyone does benefit, and in that sense maybe animal control should come out of the general fund. Also, since compliance is pretty low, it could be argued that pet owners who pay are being taxed for being responsible pet owners.

However, the structure of pet fees in Durham and most of the cities around here is also designed to give owners an incentive to spay or neuter their pet, and I support that. Since my spayed dog and cat do wear tags with my town name and the tag number, I also assume my fees go towards returning my pet to me should she be lost, and I am happy about that. So in general, I don't mind paying the license fee/tax/whatever.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Ah, true, Mike -- except kids are necessary for the propagation of the species and society, and I have an interest in public education in wanting to have a successful economy and a skilled workforce!

Love my pets as I do, the costs of services like Animal Control really only exist because people choose pets (and, really, because a subset of *them* are irresponsible pet owners.)

But I'll agree to disagree with you on this one!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
I'm ok with paying it since it might make life better for the poor pets at the shelter. I just got my bill today for my doggie that died

Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Ah, true, Mike -- except kids are necessary for the propagation of the species and society, and I have an interest in public education in wanting to have a successful economy and a skilled workforce!

Love my pets as I do, the costs of services like Animal Control really only exist because people choose pets (and, really, because a subset of *them* are irresponsible pet owners.)

But I'll agree to disagree with you on this one!
BCR,
I can't "agree to disagree"ment.
1. It was "just for fun." See vs ? We can't have THAT!

2. See Number 1.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary