U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
Could they have been guinea hens?

There are a lot of them on farms in the area. They make a lot of noise, too. Do a google image search and you'll see they look pretty similar.
That's what it was exactly! Very cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,290 times
Yes, we do have wild peacocks, pea hens, and even quail. I am born and raised on St.Thomas out on the east end of the island. I saw them all the time. I used to see them most up in the hills around north side and four corners. I also used to see them on the east end around harmony estates. We also have deer and boa constrictors.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
I saw a peahen between Kinston and New Bern. I had to do a triple take.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,125,454 times
Sure it wasn't a wild turkey? We've seen several the last few weeks.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,631,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Oh! I used to see peacocks in Tampa a lot. The pea hens must have been going rogue - I'm glad they didn't get run over, and also glad I saw them before my dog did! They were quite loud.
Where in Tampa? I haven't seen one yet, maybe the gators ate them. I rented an apartment in Raleigh that had two peacocks near the mailboxes and clubhouse. They were kinda aggressive and my girlfriend was terrified of them. All the neighbors complained about them, but the apt. manager never did anything.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,801 times
Yes, I'm sure you saw peacocks/peahens. I boarded my horse at a farm here and the owners had 1 peahen. After a few months, a peacock showed up. They had no idea where he came from.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Where in Tampa? I haven't seen one yet, maybe the gators ate them. I rented an apartment in Raleigh that had two peacocks near the mailboxes and clubhouse. They were kinda aggressive and my girlfriend was terrified of them. All the neighbors complained about them, but the apt. manager never did anything.
I used to see them past Town and Country headed to Oldsmar (I forgot the name of that road, but it's a main road). Funny that they're here too.

After I posted the first post I went back to the dog park and there was a guinea hen ON THE FENCE about to jump in to the dog park. My dog was losing her mind, That farmer would have had one fewer hen had that happened, I'm sure

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,631,753 times
Tampa Rd/Hillsborough Ave.? I went through there today on my way to Palm Harbor and didn't see any, but I wasn't looking. I'll pay more attention next time I'm in the area. My dog would've made lunch out of that hen.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Tampa Rd/Hillsborough Ave.? I went through there today on my way to Palm Harbor and didn't see any, but I wasn't looking. I'll pay more attention next time I'm in the area. My dog would've made lunch out of that hen.
Yup, that was it! This was a long time ago. Maybe the dogs got them :-/

Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM

820 posts, read 2,501,389 times
Quote:
I'm not kidding, I've seen one in the drive-thru at Burger King. That was actually the first time I've seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary