U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times

Advertisements

This morning I saw two grey peahens just outside of the Chapel Hill dog park, just like in the photo below (hoping it's not against TOS to link to it?)

(these are not the ones I saw, my cell battery was dying so I couldn't take a picture)

http://www.farschman.com/Birds/slides/peacok%20and%20peahen.jpg (broken link)

They were walking away from a property with a horse fence, I don't know if they belonged to those people, or do we have wild peacocks/pea hens in the triangle?

My dog was very interested in these two.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Links are OK, please only post pix you've taken yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,806,115 times
Peafowl are a non-native species and the only way they would exist in this area is if someone brought them in as pets. So, it is possible that you saw someone's rogue pet peahen wandering around.

They became a big problem where I used to live in south Florida because people brought them into the US as pets. They can fly and can only be contained in completely enclosed pens, so they were all over the place after owners would just let them out in the yard. They were a big nuisance because they ate a lot of the native plants, had few predators (population explosion), their waste is large and messy, and the males attack shiny surfaces (cars, windows, etc.). Not to mention the noise!

Certainly pretty to look at, but you don't want too many of them running around as they please.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Oh! I used to see peacocks in Tampa a lot. The pea hens must have been going rogue - I'm glad they didn't get run over, and also glad I saw them before my dog did! They were quite loud.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,874,045 times
i always thought having a modernist house on a couple of acres with some terraced landscaping and some peacocks walking around would be very fun and whimsical...

Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,806,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i always thought having a modernist house on a couple of acres with some terraced landscaping and some peacocks walking around would be very fun and whimsical...
It would be, until you stepped in a pea-pie, or had to scrape one off your car hood!

They are lovely, but I have had much better experiences photographing them in an aviary than dealing with them on a daily basis.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM

546 posts, read 1,463,516 times
When I was a kid, my father was a vet and loved animals. He decided one day he wanted to own peacocks. While pretty, they are just a royal pain in the behind. The noise!!! There is nothing more annoying than being abruptly woken up at 5 am to a peacocks call. And if they fly away, enjoy chasing them all over the neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
I'd love to have peacocks on my estate.

I remember camping at St. John, in the Virgin Islands, and they had the run of the place. So gorgeous. I don't remember being awakened by them. I do remember being kept awake by hermit crabs scraping against rocks, and we were up on a hill. And some animal was chomping in the woods all night. We had no idea what kind of animal it was, but it was very close and very loud. Maybe a goat.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,579,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
It would be, until you stepped in a pea-pie, or had to scrape one off your car hood!

And they make the most horrible high pitched screech at the crack of dawn. My old neighborhood in Portland had a wild mated pair. A neighbor got a brand new shiny truck and the male peacock saw it's reflection in the bumper and attacked the truck...scratching it up.

No, I do not miss the peacocks one bit.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
I want to be rich enough to have our groundskeeper put the peacocks in a large barn far out on my estate each evening so I wouldn't hear them screech in the morning (and so the coyotes wouldn't get them) and also rich enough to easily replace my peacock-scratched vehicles.

If I'm going to dream about peacocks on my estate, I might as well go whole hog.

Quote:
And they make the most horrible high pitched screech at the crack of dawn. My old neighborhood in Portland had a wild mated pair. A neighbor got a brand new shiny truck and the male peacock saw it's reflection in the bumper and attacked the truck...scratching it up.

No, I do not miss the peacocks one bit.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 AM

305 posts, read 660,261 times
Could they have been guinea hens?

There are a lot of them on farms in the area. They make a lot of noise, too. Do a google image search and you'll see they look pretty similar.

Last edited by panchodog; 01-30-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary