U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: NC
4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
Reputation: 4720

Advertisements

I thought I'd add this for newcomers I found an old thread with some suggestions - including using trash bags to turn your child into a human sled

Good sledding hills.

Here's a Raleigh post from the same thread, this is from a local:
From UncleTupelo:-

sledding
Grant avenue has long been a Raleigh favorite. It runs parallel to to Wade between Brooks and Baez. As a kid, we used to sled down Kidd's Hill behind Crabtree Mall. Lake drive off St. Mary's is always good. The drive way to Dorthea Dix(off Western) is another. Ray Road in north raleigh has a a great hill as does Shelly Road below North Hills drive. Grant avenue is my favorite.

And, this from WRALTV, GOLO:
A steep hill that is on the Dorothea Dix campus, right off of Boylan and Western Blvd. It looks absolutely perfect for sledding.

And, from About.com:
Chapel Hill -one of the best sledding hills in the Triangle is located at the intersection of Tadley and Markham Drives in Chapel Hill.

Happy sledding!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 01-28-2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: oops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
 
16 posts, read 26,244 times
Reputation: 13
The big hill at the top of Meadowmont in Chapel Hill seems to be a favorite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,356 posts, read 3,467,755 times
Reputation: 955
I'd be careful w/ the Dorothea Dix one. Regardless of the weather, staff still has to come and go. If it's the road I'm thinking about, it sees a decent amount of traffic w/ shift changes, etc. Maybe there is a hilly side road or hilly area on the grass- like the one you said WRAL recommends. Sounds safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,193,251 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I thought I'd add this for newcomers I found an old thread with some suggestions - including using trash bags to turn your child into a human sled

Good sledding hills.

Here's a Raleigh post from the same thread, this is from a local:
From UncleTupelo:-

sledding
Grant avenue has long been a Raleigh favorite. It runs parallel to to Wade between Brooks and Baez. As a kid, we used to sled down Kidd's Hill behind Crabtree Mall. Lake drive off St. Mary's is always good. The drive way to Dorthea Dix(off Western) is another. Ray Road in north raleigh has a a great hill as does Shelly Road below North Hills drive. Grant avenue is my favorite.

And, this from WRALTV, GOLO:
A steep hill that is on the Dorothea Dix campus, right off of Boylan and Western Blvd. It looks absolutely perfect for sledding.

And, from About.com:
Chapel Hill -one of the best sledding hills in the Triangle is located at the intersection of Tadley and Markham Drives in Chapel Hill.

Happy sledding!
Clarify something for me.Everyone is scared to drive in this weather,hence the bread milk thing, and there is no problem closing schools and businesses at the slightest hint of snow,yet getting in the car and searching the triangle for sledding on public streets is childs play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 AM
 
9,558 posts, read 26,408,859 times
Reputation: 9679
Anybody know where you can sled that is around Bedford or Falls River in North Raleigh? I don't want to have to drive somewhere. I don't have a sled but thought I might try and get some pictures of people enjoying the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
 
1,840 posts, read 5,125,454 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Anybody know where you can sled that is around Bedford or Falls River in North Raleigh? I don't want to have to drive somewhere. I don't have a sled but thought I might try and get some pictures of people enjoying the snow.
I suspect you can find a good spot to sled on the falls lake dam. Plenty of hill, mowed, only trick will being finding a spot to stop that doesn't end in rocks, trees or water. I suspect there's a spot towards the south end, near the play structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,530 posts, read 7,922,722 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Anybody know where you can sled that is around Bedford or Falls River in North Raleigh? I don't want to have to drive somewhere. I don't have a sled but thought I might try and get some pictures of people enjoying the snow.
How about the hill on Falls River Ave about 1 mile in from Durant. I remember watching cars "sled" down during that snow/ice event in 2005. Another might be Grassy Creek Dr in Falls River...decent hill with a nice runout and wouldn't have the traffic that FR Ave has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Reputation: 11064
The best place to sled is somewhere you can get to without driving there! Of course the best sledding is when it's fresh, at which point nobody needs to be out driving in it--please be safe, folks!

Unfortunately, in my 'hood, all of the big hills are where the roads are. And, the last sled I owned was the one I had as a kid in the '70s, which was a hand-me-down even then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
Reputation: 4456
Huntleigh Drive in Brentwood is always closed when it snows, and people enjoy sledding down it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,193,251 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The best place to sled is somewhere you can get to without driving there! Of course the best sledding is when it's fresh, at which point nobody needs to be out driving in it--please be safe, folks!

Unfortunately, in my 'hood, all of the big hills are where the roads are. And, the last sled I owned was the one I had as a kid in the '70s, which was a hand-me-down even then!
The old Flex flyers were the best.Older they got the more flexible they became.Unlike myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top