Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 13,031 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to Cary after the school year ends and we are so confused because of all the school issues and would love some advice! We have a daughter who will be a freshman in hs and a son who will be starting middle school. Since the HS will be on traditional calendar, we really want our son to be on the same schedule. After thinking we knew the n-hoods that had traditional middle schools, today we realized there is a lot of rezoning planned for the fall! Are there certain n-hoods that will be least affected next year? If we have to do a year round school, is there a track similar to HS schedule? We tend to like the newer construction and have been considering Weycroft, Cary Park, Glenkirk, maybe Preston Village. Any suggestions? (oh - also airplane noise is a consideration!) Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Does it have to be Cary?

You might consider Abbington and Haddon Hall in Apex, too.

Current traditional MS assignments and extremely convenient neighborhoods, particularly Haddon Hall.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,399 times
Unfortunately dealing with scool reassignments in our area is one of our growing pains. In a 'normal' year the school board typically deals with minimal reassignments - triggered by new schools - however with several new school board members causing quite a stir we arent clear that we will even have year roud schools in the near future - with any home sale there is an asterick, that school assignements may change in the future - in no way is this a guarantee but historically the larger and higher priced communities tend to be well organized in their protest to any unfavorable reassignments.

On the housing side - you mentioned you like new construction - I suggest checking out Copperleaf - it starts in the 700's and tops out in the 1.3 range, so its on your high end but it's one of Cary's hottest selling new home communities, its located in west Cary, close to the Cary Park area - the homes are built on large (avg .5 acre) wooded lots- many of which back to a trail!

Welcome to the area, from a Cary native

Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM

Doesn't have to be Cary, but want a fairly easy commute to RTP where my husband is working. Will check out the Apex n-hoods. I know the school thing can change from year to year, but figure we can at least start with knowing the traditional ms will stay that way for 2 years - then he would just have 1 more yr. til high school. Thinking it would be a nightmare to have my daughter on a complete different schedule than my son! So for now that is the first criteria for n-hood! Any other suggestions would be very welcome!!!! thanks!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcurtin View Post
Doesn't have to be Cary, but want a fairly easy commute to RTP where my husband is working. Will check out the Apex n-hoods. I know the school thing can change from year to year, but figure we can at least start with knowing the traditional ms will stay that way for 2 years - then he would just have 1 more yr. til high school. Thinking it would be a nightmare to have my daughter on a complete different schedule than my son! So for now that is the first criteria for n-hood! Any other suggestions would be very welcome!!!! thanks!
I mentioned Apex, partially because of your reference to airplane noise.

I imagine you have seen this by now:
http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours_11x17.pdf (broken link)

Basically, the farther out the lines, the less intrusive the noise from plane traffic.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM

189 posts, read 507,716 times
All the neighborhoods you have listed above have Airplane noise issues except Glenkirk. Regarding the Traditional calendar and Year Round Schools schedule, every neighborhood is assigned a Year Round and Traditional Calendar school, although that may not be the nearest school.
It is common for families with a High schooler, to request for a Traditional Middle or Elementary school for the younger sibling to keep them on the same schedule.

You may want to widen your home search to Apex, South Cary and Holly Springs. There are many nice neighborhoods in your price range in those areas - Abbington, Regency, Windermere, Wrenn Meadow, Jamison Park, Park at West Lake, Sunset Oaks and Sunset Ridge etc.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
All the neighborhoods you have listed above have Airplane noise issues except Glenkirk. Regarding the Traditional calendar and Year Round Schools schedule, every neighborhood is assigned a Year Round and Traditional Calendar school, although that may not be the nearest school.
It is common for families with a High schooler, to request for a Traditional Middle or Elementary school for the younger sibling to keep them on the same schedule.

You may want to widen your home search to Apex, South Cary and Holly Springs. There are many nice neighborhoods in your price range in those areas - Abbington, Regency, Windermere, Wrenn Meadow, Jamison Park, Park at West Lake, Sunset Oaks and Sunset Ridge etc.
Glenkirk has plane noise.
It is just outside the disclosure area, as are Cary Park and Weycroft, but that is not indicative of no plane noise. It just has less than is considered necessary for disclosure.

Althought commuting difficulty is quite subjective, it is difficult to suggest Jamison Park, Park at West Lake, others in that area as "fairly easy commute to RTP."
Beautiful homes, but commute time tends to be long, IMO. It can be up to an hour in the evenings.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks again for more info. We really like Weycroft and Cary Park, but realize the middle school will be the new year round one MillsPark next year. Is there any chance the new school board can change that to a traditional calendar school? If not, would we pretty much be guarateed a spot at West Cary Middle since that is where parts of those n-hoods went this year? So confusing!!! May be easiest to stay around Glenkirk where the schools will still be traditional next fall???

Old 01-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcurtin View Post
Thanks again for more info. We really like Weycroft and Cary Park, but realize the middle school will be the new year round one MillsPark next year. Is there any chance the new school board can change that to a traditional calendar school? If not, would we pretty much be guarateed a spot at West Cary Middle since that is where parts of those n-hoods went this year? So confusing!!! May be easiest to stay around Glenkirk where the schools will still be traditional next fall???
As far as lifestyle in a location, I love the location of Glenkirk.
And $500,000--$700,000 puts you at the lower end of the scale there.

Subject Area Improved Sales - 0314064

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,085 times
Those homes should still be under John Weilands warranty which is a goodwarranty to have. They take care of their buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary