U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,725,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
That seems to be a Southern thing as well as a New England thing.

Blecchhh!!!
Well, you're the one who claims to be a "Southerner"...

And your "survival guide" is presumably written to acclimate folks from outside the area to what folks in this area in general do, not what you personally do. If you're going to put yourself out as an "ambassador to the area", then "Southern things" are exactly what needs to go into the guide, even if it's not the way you did it up North where you grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,599,727 times
Quote:
b) In a pinch, table salt will work to melt ice on your front steps.
I've had many NYers tell me not to salt concrete or brick. The salt causes the concrete to crack as the salt increases the temperature and then the weather causing freezing and it discolors the brick.

Another tip I'm going to add, is if you don't have a sled for the kids keep an old cookie sheet and can of Pam on hand for them.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,824,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Another tip I'm going to add, is if you don't have a sled for the kids keep an old cookie sheet and can of Pam on hand for them.
Or some 30-gallon Hefty™ trash bags -- cut a hole for head and arms and wear one like a shirt. Lie on your back at the top of a hill and you'll go zipping down. Great fun!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM

272 posts, read 780,756 times
As a well water user, I strongly concur with filling up the bathtub with water. We do this for hurricanes and storms. Of course we do NOT drink this water. We use it to flush the commodes which do not work when the power to our well pump goes out. Enough water remains in the water lines to drain them one last time and we capture last of the water for the kitchen, not flush it away.

Other Tips from our home:
--Fill spaghetti pots, plastic cake carriers and any other large container with lid with water and keep them in the kitchen. Fill 2 qt pitchers with water and keep one in each bathroom for pouring into minicups in the bathroom.

--Use battery powered holiday candles in bathrooms for light. We do have an oil lamp we continue to use for nostalgic reasons and keep it in the den by the fireplace. We have 2 gas bottles for the BBQ grill and they are full.

--Get cash before you come home in case the ATM's stay down

--Fill cars with gas (no electricity to the pumps) before coming home for the storm. It's possible during a damaging storm that the roads return before the power does.

--Make coffee the night before and keep it in a thermos.

--Charge your cell phone overnight for maximum charge

--Set to 'silent' your UPS's so the annoying alarms do not wake you in the middle of the night.

--Use kitty litter for traction on your front steps instead of salt.

We live in old Green Level and before that by the Jordan Lake. Our power goes out so frequently for decades and decades we forget the many ways we've adapted our lives to country living. Our power was out twice in the last 2 weeks already (car accident and unknown reason).

PS: Southerners plow dirt and scrape snow. I've always heard it said that way!

Last edited by 4alark; 01-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: One more tip!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,879,983 times
I am a Northerner. Yet Ich bin ein Southerner. And as I mentioned in another post, I'm as much as a Southerner as JFK was a Berliner.

The guide IS for newcomers from the North from someone who grew up in the North and who has been here for 17 years. If it was from a "Southern" perspective, it could not have effectively identified those things that are different from the North, such as "scraping" snow.

And it wasn't meant to explain everything that everyone (especially Southerners) do.

If anyone, from anywhere, wants to eat snow, yellow or not, they are free to do so. But YUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, you're the one who claims to be a "Southerner"...

And your "survival guide" is presumably written to acclimate folks from outside the area to what folks in this area in general do, not what you personally do. If you're going to put yourself out as an "ambassador to the area", then "Southern things" are exactly what needs to go into the guide, even if it's not the way you did it up North where you grew up.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM

11,810 posts, read 27,519,329 times
Quote:
I am a Northerner. Yet Ich bin ein Southerner. And as I mentioned in another post, I'm as much as a Southerner as JFK was a Berliner.

The guide IS for newcomers from the North from someone who grew up in the North and who has been here for 17 years. If it was from a "Southern" perspective, it could not have effectively identified those things that are different from the North, such as "scraping" snow.

And it wasn't meant to explain everything that everyone (especially Southerners) do.

If anyone, from anywhere, wants to eat snow, yellow or not, they are free to do so. But YUCK!!!
Snow cream is NOT made from yellow snow. Duh. I'm pretty sure anyone, northerner or southerner would know better. You use FRESH CLEAN SNOW and it is delicious and very much a southern thing!

Anytime anyone tries to speak for a whole group, you are going to get SOME negative feedback. After all, it is apparant that most of us on this forum have our own opinions of which things are "southern" or not!

Vicki

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM

331 posts, read 513,884 times
Good Tips...One note about storing water...we have several 5 gallon collapse-able plastic jugs...we fiil these with tap water and use for drinking or cooking,,,since we just moved here we were not aware of the city vs. well water differences so we filled our jugs and have 15 gals of clean...filtered water to consume,,,the idea of filling the bath tub for water in the toilet had not occurred to us. This storm apparently is not as crippling to the area as you make them out to be...at least not this time...the local... within walking distance... Food Lion was open and a snow plow was clearing the parking lot...I saw numerous vehicles out traveling on New Bern Ave...Not saying I would do that... as these people prolly dunno how to drive safely in it YMMV...Irrespective of the fact that I came from the N.E. its how things are done here that I have to deal with. So we have to adapt to our surroundings you know what they say..."When in Rome"....

Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM

331 posts, read 513,884 times
As far as eating "clean" snow is concerned...it may look clean but it isnt...there are airbounre pollutants that get trapped in the snow . Things like automobile hydrocarbons and other assorted junk...yeech. When I was a kid... eating snow that had either maple syrup or even pancake syrup was pretty good... So the idea of eating flavored snow is not exactly a southern thing.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,879,983 times
I was joking about yellow snow. I never speak for a group. I speak for myself...as does everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Snow cream is NOT made from yellow snow. Duh. I'm pretty sure anyone, northerner or southerner would know better. You use FRESH CLEAN SNOW and it is delicious and very much a southern thing!

Anytime anyone tries to speak for a whole group, you are going to get SOME negative feedback. After all, it is apparant that most of us on this forum have our own opinions of which things are "southern" or not!

Vicki

Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,595,849 times
Quote:
This CDC link explains water safety during a power outage. It makes no sense to fill a bathtub for hurricanes, either, unless you use well water (because the electric water pump wouldn't work): CDC | What You Need to Know When the Power Goes Out Unexpectedly Because most municipal water treatment plants have backup power, I don't think there is any need to worry about water safety or water availability.

One day out of school per inch of snow? Never heard that one in all the time I've been here. I don't think so. It can snow two inches, and the next day, it can be VERY warm. So that rule of thumb doesn't seem to make any sense to me. It snows so infrequently here, I don't even know how such a formula could have evolved.
Up until the mid 2000's..there was at least one or two good snows every year we were in NC. 1 day per inch is exaggerating a little bit; but not really an out of this world estimation. Maybe 2 inches per day. I know when we got the 2 feet the kids were out of school for two weeks (missed 9 school days total); and I believe they were out for one week for the 8+ incher in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary