U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,791,423 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people are getting on lovebrentwood's case about the "guide." Of course it's all his personal opinion. Anybody who can't figure that out needs to PM me so I can sell them some Amway. It's so good, it practically sells itself.

BTW, I do not eat snow, nor do I drink rainwater that hasn't been through a treatment plant. Nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,824,253 times
Agree with Skaternum here. Apparently being inside all day today has made some of us a little cranky and testy.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,308,227 times
I used to eat snow as a child and my children LOVE to eat the snow outside (what child doesn't??) BUT...

I won't do it now. There is an "ick" factor to me as I've aged.

I read one of the recipes and it said to put a bowl out to catch freshly fallen snow for your recipe. The recipe didn't sound quite so bad until I thought I'd NEVER put a jug out to catch freshly fallen rain and drink that! I'm sure if we had no fresh water and it was for survival I would.

I guess like just like any other regional food item...some will love it and some will not. Personally it's not for me, but I can see the appeal of the recipe (if I think of it in terms of shaved ice) and appreciate the regional differences.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,234,188 times
Wish you could see this smile on my face. I got tickled reading the bashing back-and-forth.

One woman here in my own neighborhood posted a request just yesterday that people stay out of her yard, and not mess-up her snow.

Ah, but to eat snow or not to eat snow. Now, that IS the question, no?
Whether tis nobler to eat snow, or not to eat snow. . .

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
Bashing? Nah. I think of it more as a good-natured culture clash.

And that's hysterical about the woman and her yard. Today a flock of geese landed in our front yard. The little critters left little webbed footprints all over our beautiful snow! Dang 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Wish you could see this smile on my face. I got tickled reading the bashing back-and-forth.

One woman here in my own neighborhood posted a request just yesterday that people stay out of her yard, and not mess-up her snow.

Ah, but to eat snow or not to eat snow. Now, that IS the question, no?
Whether tis nobler to eat snow, or not to eat snow. . .

Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,503,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Bashing? Nah. I think of it more as a good-natured culture clash.

And that's hysterical about the woman and her yard. Today a flock of geese landed in our front yard. The little critters left little webbed footprints all over our beautiful snow! Dang 'em!
Considering geese, you're lucky that's all they left on your lawn (LOL).

Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 PM

37 posts, read 51,211 times
I definitely agree on the idea of stocking your kitchen for a snow storm. It doesn't matter how much snow we get, my husband and I get to Harris Teeter as soon as we hear it's coming. Mostly because we don't have a car so we walk and take the buses to get around town. And until I read about the idea of keeping instant coffee on hand, I hadn't given it any thought. I don't know what I'd do without my Larry's Beans though! We see more snow here than Texas but not as much as when I lived in Illinois. (Thank God!) It didn't matter how much snow we got there, life went on as usual, and there I was scraping ice off the windshield and shoveling the driveway. Yuck! Thanks lovebrentwood for all your advice!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
Just a note -- at the suggestion of our friendly moderator, I posted the Triangle Guides to my blog, so in the future, they'll be easier to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary