Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,427,227 times

Advertisements

There are indeed times when snow is pouring, rather than falling. Pouring connotes falling at such a heavy rate that it appears to be raining or a deluge. Usually, this is a wet snow with high moisture content; thus, the term "pour" is rather accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The guide IS for newcomers from the North from someone who grew up in the North and who has been here for 17 years. If it was from a "Southern" perspective, it could not have effectively identified those things that are different from the North, such as "scraping" snow.

And it wasn't meant to explain everything that everyone (especially Southerners) do.
Of course it isn't meant to explain everything, but it also should not mention things that are directly contrary to the way things are done in NC, if it purports to be a "guide for newcomers" to NC. Eating snow in the form of snow cream is very common in NC and your personal disdain for it was an editorializing statement that is not consistent with the other "this is what they do in NC" points in the "guide". The matter of eating snow or not eating snow shouldn't have been mentioned at all as part of a "guide", or at very least clarified with "They like snow cream here, though I personally think it's gross to eat snow", etc.

Anytime one publishes something intended to be a serious "guide" that will be referred to later, one should refrain from interjecting one's personal opinions, or at least one should flag them as such, that's all I'm sayin'.

PS--this is one reason it's always a good thing to have several people get together on some sort of general consensus before "publishing" anything that is trying to be a true "resource", rather than have just one person do it. Things get left out or edited, and unfortunately, C-D interface sucks for editing posts after a short time (which I've never understood).

Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
I found the 'guide' entertaining. Thanks for posting lovebrentwood!

And, yeah, I don't eat the snow...

Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Snow Cream Recipes

Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Come on, Francois, do you really think that many people in North Carolina or anywhere EAT SNOW? It's filthy.

Of course I'm editorializing. It's a guide I wrote. No one is paying me not to editorialize. It's all my opinion. It's just for fun, with a little usefulness. Everyone is more than welcome to add whatever they want in the thread.

If I was writing a "real" guide, I would not have mentioned the newspeople and their snow commentaries.

Let me make a few blanket statements here:

• Whatever I write, it's always my opinion. I speak for no one else. It is one person's opinion (mine) who has lived in both the North and the South.
  • I'm writing for free here and for FUN. I'm the assignment editor and the writer. I assigned myself the snow guide today.

You can assign yourself whatever you want.

I have no client who is paying me to write anything serious or humorous here on CD.

It is up to the reader to determine what I intend as serious and what I'm saying with humor. I'm pretty straightforward, so it's usually quite obvious. (If they find value in it, fine, if not, that's fine, too.)

Fun. It's just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Of course it isn't meant to explain everything, but it also should not mention things that are directly contrary to the way things are done in NC, if it purports to be a "guide for newcomers" to NC. Eating snow in the form of snow cream is very common in NC and your personal disdain for it was an editorializing statement that is not consistent with the other "this is what they do in NC" points in the "guide". The matter of eating snow or not eating snow shouldn't have been mentioned at all as part of a "guide", or at very least clarified with "They like snow cream here, though I personally think it's gross to eat snow", etc.

Anytime one publishes something intended to be a serious "guide" that will be referred to later, one should refrain from interjecting one's personal opinions, or at least one should flag them as such, that's all I'm sayin'.

PS--this is one reason it's always a good thing to have several people get together on some sort of general consensus before "publishing" anything that is trying to be a true "resource", rather than have just one person do it. Things get left out or edited, and unfortunately, C-D interface sucks for editing posts after a short time (which I've never understood).

Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

PS--this is one reason it's always a good thing to have several people get together on some sort of general consensus before "publishing" anything that is trying to be a true "resource", rather than have just one person do it.
I'm going to agree with Francois on this one. Anyone can, of course, write such a "guide" but it should be noted that the suggestions are just the author's personal opinion.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
As far as eating "clean" snow is concerned...it may look clean but it isnt...there are airbounre pollutants that get trapped in the snow . Things like automobile hydrocarbons and other assorted junk...yeech. When I was a kid... eating snow that had either maple syrup or even pancake syrup was pretty good... So the idea of eating flavored snow is not exactly a southern thing.

We just had a huge rainstorm a few days earlier. Im quite certain the pollutants got wash down besides if there was pollutants it would be in the first inch if you receive more than 2 it should be ok.
Besides I havent heard on the news people getting sick from eating snow
btw I found if you mix Hershey Quik you get a nice chocolate snow cream.
Maybe yall come from big cities where it is a problem.
It still mostly rural around here, eat snow
Yall not from around here are ya

Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

3. Stay home and watch the local TV meteorologists go crazy with happiness

4. Know that every station puts reporters out on the roads, in miserable weather, so they can explain what the snow looks like, as if none of us has ever seen snow, or as if, for some reason, we are locked inside our homes and can't see it for ourselves.

The reporters always bend down, pick up the snow (videographers get the closeup), and attempt to explain what the snow is like.

The stations will report on the snow for hours on end, all the while bragging about their extensive coverage, and reporters will get very tired of explaining what snow is and what it feels like.

Hmmmm....they do this in NY too. It gets a little tiresome when we have one of those winters where we get 8 feet of snow!

P.S. I enjoy your guides, whether serious or not. I guess I feel qualified to agree or disagree without making a federal case of it!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Besides I havent heard on the news people getting sick from eating snow
btw I found if you mix Hershey Quik you get a nice chocolate snow cream.
That's it - I insist on one more snowstorm so I can try snow cream! I need chocolate snow cream, I really do!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
How do you make snow cream???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary