U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will students return to school after the "blizzard"?
Monday, at the regular time 2 2.67%
Monday, on a delayed schedule 6 8.00%
Tuesday, or later in the week 56 74.67%
Don't know/don't care 11 14.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,440,890 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to the Makeup days by county

County-by-county snow make up days :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM

255 posts, read 465,849 times
I would prefer a delay to another whole day off. Today probably should have been a 2 hour delay, but it wasn't decided that way. Let's hope that Friday turns into nothing.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,236,648 times
Well, I'm not psychic or anything, but I think the kids will be back in school on Thursday, with a one-hour delay.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 AM

462 posts, read 927,811 times
I understand why we had off Monday ...would not attempt to drive until later in the day when more snow melted but to be off Tuesday and Wednesday??! Ok fine.. but then a 1hr delay today. Thank goodness my daughter is tracked out and she can go to the ymca program still. Now I'm wondering what they plan for Friday with pending snow/rain coming??? :P

Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,236,648 times
One of the reasons for the one-hour delay was exactly what the local news has reported just north of us on one of the main roads -- 'black ice.' While you may be an excellent driver, and you might trust the child's bus driver is an excellent driver, it is all of the other fools on the road that create problems for you. Six car wreck this morning.

You need to understand that schools will err on the side of caution. I would not want the liability of 30+ children, potentially injured or worse, in an accident to, or from, school. Parents would do well to plan for such possibilities, especially living in an area that doesn't get much snow, and when it does, the precipitation shuts everything down for a couple of days. If you already have a plan to cover a day or two, expand it to a week, if necessary.

School systems do not just arbitrarily call a 'snow day,' as all days missed have to be justified to the State, and you can bet school officials would be just as happy to have the little darlings in the classroom, and the staff there, teaching, as to have to makeup a day -- which, if it's at the end of the academic year is a moot point. Like, any more instruction will happen on June 11 than what went on June 10?

I have never seen such a whiny set of people as on this forum. Retired HS English teacher, and parent myself, I would bet some of you are the very parents that some of us as teachers felt like all you wanted us to do was to babysit your children. Is it less about the actual instruction and more about them being out of your hair, out of the house, and not your concern for about 6 hours?

I was out on the roads Tuesday afternoon, and many of the roads were icy, slushy messes, and there were enough cars on the side of the road who had already run into problems to make me think WCPSS made the right call. I still have an icy mess around my home and neighborhood -- perfect for someone to, even in spite of being careful and taking all of the right steps (pun intended), suffer a fall, break a limb, or end up with a concussion. This was what children and staff would be coming into many of the school buildings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It incensed me that the spokesman for WCPSS made the comment that the schools' closing was 'for the safety of the students, and not the convenience of the staff.' I agree, but still, take a chance with losing a valuable staff member when many of us native North Carolinians are not accustomed to weather and conditions such as these? You can bet those teachers were at home doing something 'school-related,' not taking into account all of the other hours in the days and weeks spent on school-related tasks.

Lastly, I would ask, when you whine and complain about the schools being closed, what message exactly do you think you convey to your children? And how do you think that helps anything but to foster the notion that schools, government, officials, the powers-that-be are stupid and ineffective? Or that you as a parent merely wish they were in school and not at home?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 AM

5,702 posts, read 8,315,165 times
I haven't been out of my complex this morning, but the roads there were really icy and people were spinning out all over the place - delay definitely warranted!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

616 posts, read 1,266,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
One of the reasons for the one-hour delay was exactly what the local news has reported just north of us on one of the main roads -- 'black ice.' While you may be an excellent driver, and you might trust the child's bus driver is an excellent driver, it is all of the other fools on the road that create problems for you. Six car wreck this morning.

You need to understand that schools will err on the side of caution. I would not want the liability of 30+ children, potentially injured or worse, in an accident to, or from, school. Parents would do well to plan for such possibilities, especially living in an area that doesn't get much snow, and when it does, the precipitation shuts everything down for a couple of days. If you already have a plan to cover a day or two, expand it to a week, if necessary.

School systems do not just arbitrarily call a 'snow day,' as all days missed have to be justified to the State, and you can bet school officials would be just as happy to have the little darlings in the classroom, and the staff there, teaching, as to have to makeup a day -- which, if it's at the end of the academic year is a moot point. Like, any more instruction will happen on June 11 than what went on June 10?

I have never seen such a whiny set of people as on this forum. Retired HS English teacher, and parent myself, I would bet some of you are the very parents that some of us as teachers felt like all you wanted us to do was to babysit your children. Is it less about the actual instruction and more about them being out of your hair, out of the house, and not your concern for about 6 hours?

I was out on the roads Tuesday afternoon, and many of the roads were icy, slushy messes, and there were enough cars on the side of the road who had already run into problems to make me think WCPSS made the right call. I still have an icy mess around my home and neighborhood -- perfect for someone to, even in spite of being careful and taking all of the right steps (pun intended), suffer a fall, break a limb, or end up with a concussion. This was what children and staff would be coming into many of the school buildings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It incensed me that the spokesman for WCPSS made the comment that the schools' closing was 'for the safety of the students, and not the convenience of the staff.' I agree, but still, take a chance with losing a valuable staff member when many of us native North Carolinians are not accustomed to weather and conditions such as these? You can bet those teachers were at home doing something 'school-related,' not taking into account all of the other hours in the days and weeks spent on school-related tasks.

Lastly, I would ask, when you whine and complain about the schools being closed, what message exactly do you think you convey to your children? And how do you think that helps anything but to foster the notion that schools, government, officials, the powers-that-be are stupid and ineffective? Or that you as a parent merely wish they were in school and not at home?

There will probably be a delay again tomorrow and who knows maybe a day off if its snowing at 6am which it might be. This was a wasted week. Then having make up days on saturday mornings for 1/2 half days is well a non learning day and you know it. Traditional make ups have a better chance of learning happening except one of the days is on a holiday so who knows how many will show.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-04-2010 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM

8,266 posts, read 21,833,404 times
I see sand all over the roads everywhere I go right now. It's a HUGE MESS. I wish they wouldn't use it and just let the snow melt on it's own! I don't care about a couple of snow days! I knew it woudl be at least Wednesday before the kids went back after enjoying the snow days!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,019 times
I know I went skidding this morning and almost went sideways when I hit some ice unexpectedly. Not fun at all, Especially with a 2 year old in the car.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM

5,702 posts, read 8,315,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I see sand all over the roads everywhere I go right now. It's a HUGE MESS. I wish they wouldn't use it and just let the snow melt on it's own! I don't care about a couple of snow days! I knew it woudl be at least Wednesday before the kids went back after enjoying the snow days!
Are you serious? You'd trade safety for more pretty snow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary