U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 PM

22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Don't worry, people complain about the snow removal in the North too...
Anybody not been plowed out yet?
That's right. And we love our complaining!

When my husband was stationed at Bragg there was an ice storm like this (happened twice actually) and post was mostly closed for the week. If you lived off base, you didn't report to work. It was a big storm system so a number of bases were closed. After sitting around for a couple of days we started driving around town to see if there was anything open. There were only a few other vehicles on the road, so you didn't have to worry about being in an accident. Donut's at the Cliffdale/401 intersection, whoo hoo!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM

494 posts, read 1,193,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
I think you might be on to something there. I get the feeling that the city data folk tend to be more of the "stay at home and bake cookies" crowd rather than the "get out there and get on with your lives" crowd.

I went down to the shops again today, curious to see the post-apocalyptic ice-age described on this board. So I pulled on my Road Warrior boots, grabbed my shotgun and topped up the mini-van with nitrus-oxide.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, at the amount of people out and about, risking their lives and others. Dare-devil Mums and Dads pushed their kids around the supermarket, whacko teenagers went to their jobs at McDonalds and, incredibly, some people even had the audacity to risk renting a movie from Blockbuster - must have some kind of death-wish! Even the Liberty Insurance guy was dancing around on the side of the road in his Statue of Liberty costume (ok, so he really is nuts).

This isn't the blizzard of 2002 people (or whenever it was that y'all keep talking about). Go outside and take a look for yourself.

Oh, and, for what it's worth Hwy 401, North of Fuquay, is bone dry (get's a little slushy in town).
The fear is insane and so rediculous.No basis,no common sense,sheep laying down for the slaughter.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
I drove 65 on I540 this morning to the airport. My sub division road looks like the one posted above, completely covered in snow. Just don't floor the gas pedal and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-31-2010 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary comment.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Even Millbrook Road from Capital to Falls was lousy.

Parking lots were very hazardous for walkers.

My wife had removable shoe grippers we bought for the last ice event. They were like studded tires on a car,

Good to have around.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times
This was weird - I was walking my dog up Old Chapel Hill Road in Durham and not only was the road salted, it was also sanded. I wonder if the businesses paid someone to do that? (funny that it got both salt and sand).

The road was bone dry and easy to drive on, I will add

The brined roads around it, not so much (but ok)

Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM

93 posts, read 187,327 times
Little snow negates the need to spend big bucks on equipment. I think most people would prefer to either keep their tax burden low or use what taxes they pay for more worthy causes. Racking up debt or increasing taxes for such equipment is a stupid thing to do in an area such as this. Kudos to the politicians for not investing in something we very rarely ever need and hats off to the people working hard to clear the major roads.

I have no complaints, other than the possibility of my employer not closing up shop tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
Little snow negates the need to spend big bucks on equipment. I think most people would prefer to either keep their tax burden low or use what taxes they pay for more worthy causes. Racking up debt or increasing taxes for such equipment is a stupid thing to do in an area such as this. Kudos to the politicians for not investing in something we very rarely ever need and hats off to the people working hard to clear the major roads.

I have no complaints, other than the possibility of my employer not closing up shop tomorrow.
perfect!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 PM

421 posts, read 1,224,398 times
No complaints here either. We came here from Colorado. A snow event there would have had us outside for hours shoveling, because life goes on as usual unless it's a full blown blizzard with several feet of snow.

A snow event here? We spent a lovely weekend where our kids had no place to go, eating good foods and enjoying each others company. No complaints whatsoever.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I just don't feel it's kind when people leave their sidewalks clogged up so that people who have trouble walking through snow, people with kids in strollers, etc., can't make it through if they need to get to the store or something.
OMG, you're kidding. Who on earth takes a stroller out in the snow, especially if, as you claim, nobody clears the sidewalks?

Snowfalls like this past one are exactly the reason people stock up on groceries before any chance of a snow--which causes you Northerners such merriment untold and mockery of us yokel locals. And now perhaps you are seeing a big reason why. Locals know to stock up before the snow and then you won't have to go out to the snow (particularly if you have young children).

Taking a stroller through snow...LOL...

Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,676,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
OMG, you're kidding. Who on earth takes a stroller out in the snow, especially if, as you claim, nobody clears the sidewalks?
Um, my wife and I frequently took our daughter out in her stroller when she was younger, snow or no snow. Fresh air is essential for babies, and a good walk does a lot to alleviate cabin fever.

Get out there, be a good neighbor, and clear your sidewalks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary