U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM

406 posts, read 697,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Capt, one could also argue that it's a failure on your part since you don't have snow tires and chains to put on your car, do you? People from northern states have these things, but people here don't. Again, the investment just isn't justified.
Chains are illegal in some states.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,037,772 times
Doesn't matter how many people live here, they're not going to spend the $$$ to have the kind of solution you outline for a once-per-18-month-on-avg snow event. Maybe it's not fair, but that's just the deal with living in an area where it rarely snows. And of course it's not the snow, it's the ice. Look at other southern cities. Atlanta? Would be brought to it's knees too.

I grew up in a very snowy northern town and snow tires & chains were the norm and even then, the side streets would pile up and this is a place where winter came and stayed for 4 - 5 months every year. And yes, when there were icy conditions people had to stay home and hunker down.

At least this will melt within the next few days.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,733,325 times
When it gets this cold...the brine/salt is useless. More plows would be helpful though, but I think most NC'ers are kids at heart and look forward to a snow day or two or five once every couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Wrong answer, have all of it. Even blizzak snow tires, spend a bunch of time up north even now. this is an embarrassment
I'm not embarrassed, it just looks like the non-locals are embarrassed.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM

616 posts, read 1,268,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Capt, one could also argue that it's a failure on your part since you don't have snow tires and chains to put on your car, do you? People from northern states have these things, but people here don't. Again, the investment just isn't justified.

Wrong answer, have all of it. Even blizzak snow tires, spend a bunch of time up north even now. this is an embarrassment

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM

616 posts, read 1,268,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
When it gets this cold...the brine/salt is useless. More plows would be helpful though, but I think most NC'ers are kids at heart and look forward to a snow day or two or five once every couple years.

Brine salt useless.... Then why does the DOT put on the stupid show?? they have now used the brine 3 times this season. seems to me someone up the food chain in the DOT should be fired.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,879,983 times
The government could substantially increase our taxes, and we could have a great snow-removal system in place for the rare times it snows. It could pay for mountains of salt, hundreds of the most up-to-date snow-removal vehicles, and a staff of thousands ready to jump at a moment's notice to clear snow that usually melts in a couple of days.

Or we could just stay home and off the roads one or two days every few years. In the 17 years I've been here, I really remember only two other instances where it was bad enough to stay off the road: the big "flash frozen" event (no snow, no ice storm, but everything just froze), and the time when 2 feet of snow fell, and the city was closed for a week.

Having snow removal resources on hand isn't worth the taxes.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,733,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Brine salt useless.... Then why does the DOT put on the stupid show?? they have now used the brine 3 times this season. seems to me someone up the food chain in the DOT should be fired.
The brine helps initially when the snow falls and temps are not in the teens. But when the rates get heavier, the salt cannot melt the snow as fast as it is coming down. Tonight all the salt in the world will not melt any of the slush that is refreezing.

The last I looked snow sticks on the roads up north no matter how much salt they put down.

Lastly this is sleet and ice on top of snow and melted snow water. It's a dangerous combo and even the best plows will not scrape down to the surface.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM

996 posts, read 2,515,147 times
The state just does not have the resources to deal with snow, its that simple. I'd rather deal with some ice for a few days then having my taxes go up to buy more snow plows.

They need to drop salt and sand mixture like up north. I am not worried about it, just drive slow and take your time. Enjoy the weekend indoors.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM

42,315 posts, read 49,965,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
I don't really know if I should blame because I don't understand the dynamics of preventing some of these ice issues. But there is a LOT of ice on side neighborhood streets.

Anyone know how cities similar to Raleigh, but in a snowy climate handles situations like the one we had today?
We also suffer from winter icing and snowing, and like your area, we don't get it very often, so people have a harder time handling it.

Since we're practically guaranteed a few events every winter, though, TXDOT has responded.

There has been a good effort (in my opinion - and I have a 50 mile round trip commute that I have to do regardless of weather) to always have trucks ready with Mg mixtures or sand (depending on the mix we're getting) if the weather report even smells of snow/ice.

I have actually been pleased and impressed. The major roads are usually cleared well and in a timely fashion.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM

412 posts, read 931,729 times
I agree with the others who don't think NC tax dollars need to be spent on a bunch of snow removal equipment/materials to sit in garages needing constant maintenance for the "once every 2yr snow/ice event" that we have here.

JQ Public got it right...deep down us NC'rs actually love a few snow days! Its a chance to slow down, have fun and relax. When it comes right down to it, a small percentage of people really need to be out in this weather...as much as we all like to think that we are important, the majority of us are not missed for a few days. And if all the truly non-essential people would stay off the roads, then the essential personnel could get around more safely, as well as the road crews would have an easier time.

But hey, who am I to stop people from running to Walmart and McDonalds and Blockbuster??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary