U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,805,166 times

Advertisements

From my 3.5 year experience here, it seems very difficult to accurately predict the type of winter weather this area will experience, especially when systems approach from the west (those pesky mountains!). And at that, we don't get significant winter weather very often. I think it would be a waste of resources to prepare for "completely clear roads" in the VERY few instances that we actually might need it. Especially when dealing with ice, thaw and refreezing situations - it's completely unpredictable. I saw plows come down a few streets today that I know for a fact are probably icing over at this very moment. Was that taxpayer money well spent? Not IMHO.

I personally welcome the FEW snow days that we have gotten since I've lived here (maybe 2-3). How bad is it really? How badly do you really want to go to work on Monday? Are you really that hard pressed to find something fun to do at home?

I don't know about anyone else, but I was able to walk to a diner for breakfast, walk around the neighborhood and do some sledding, then walk to a neighborhood pub for a pint today. I had a really good day, no car necessary!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,821,378 times
I think it's a little whiny of us to sit around griping that the NC DOT didn't make the roads perfectly dry for us. We got snow and ice, and it happens so rarely. We're not that important, people. We can stay home for a few days and the world won't end.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times
Capt Chill, I totally agree with you. It's funny, I read this thread as I'm watching ABC 11 news, and I just saw a man on the street (man in the car) interview with a couple visiting from NYC who said they've never seen such a coating of ice and though they're used to driving after snow up north, they don't want to drive in it here (too late) (they actually said they wouldn't move here because of it! Bad time to visit, I guess).

Look, the state is doing better than a lot of other states. It wouldn't kill them to store some salt and get some spreaders, but it might kill others not to. This melt-freeze-melt-freeze thing that goes on for days does not need to happen.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 AM

6,306 posts, read 7,987,919 times
At least by Tuesday I'll be able to get out and get to the store and be able to stock back up. And Mon. will be a telecommute day (which makes me sooo happy). By the time they'd get to spread sand/salt around, the temps would rise enough to melt the snow & ice and then people would complain about that too.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM

616 posts, read 1,264,568 times
A huge issue is well over 50% of all roads in the triangle have not been treated with anything. There really is not one street in Fuquay that has a drop of SAND on them. The main road 401 a state highway is a total embarassment right now!! 12 hours since the last flake and sleet pellit hit the ground. not saying clear street completly but MAKE THEM SAFER by using material during and after the storm. Putting a stupid brine soultion down before with nothing during or after is just idiotic and wasteful. Again brine solutions are used up north as the first line then there is material put down during and after. sorry enough of the excuses. Oh I get a day to slow down People fire, First aid businesses all need safe streets. This will be an issue to wednesday or later this week and possible more snow friday again!! The excuses by all are ridiculous.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 AM

616 posts, read 1,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
At least by Tuesday I'll be able to get out and get to the store and be able to stock back up. And Mon. will be a telecommute day (which makes me sooo happy). By the time they'd get to spread sand/salt around, the temps would rise enough to melt the snow & ice and then people would complain about that too.

You have a 4 inch ice pack, temps will not rise over 32 much all week. This will be an issue late in the week.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 AM

222 posts, read 472,541 times
Having just moved from New England, I will say that they do shut down up there depending on the amount or the type of snow. I remember maybe two years ago in Providence, school children were stranded in their school buses on I-95 until the early morning hours. The reason? 18 inches of snow fell during the day. Sure, that's practically a sneeze in a few places like Buffalo, where my husband is from, but that was a huge snow event for Providence, which is used to the 6-8 inch events. So yes, a place that is used to snow every week all winter long with a whole arsenal of machinery can be caught with their pants down under extraordinary storms. For NC, this was an extraordinary storm. Here, though, the school children wouldn't have had to huddle together and sleep in their school bus in the middle of a major interstate because they would have canceled everything ahead of time knowing they wouldn't be able to handle it!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 AM

1,301 posts, read 4,492,732 times
I've lived in NC since 1996. This is only the second time that I couldn't leave my house due to icy roads. So, no, I'm not understanding the pleas for the government to buy snow removal equipment and invest in deicing measures.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
I copied this from anifan21 me and her are good friends but we carry the same view

Quote:
Here is my feeling about this subject and is not directed to anyone in particular. So let's get that out of the way upfront.

This is the perfect example of what the natives have been saying about folks moving here and causing the cost of living to go up. Y'all came down here b/c everything was so much more reasonable - in fact, many of you say "cheap." Then, the first thing you do when the same services you were paying higher taxes for (or - higher rent) are not provided, you start whining and complaining about your rights.

Unbelievable.

The ice will go away in a matter of hours. Til then, do what the rest of us do and stay inside and watch TV, play your xbox, clean out drawers, read a book. It ain't that big a deal, people.

Just be glad your power hasn't gone off. That is the only thing I have been concerned about. My street is a sheet of ice; my driveway is a sheet of ice. The streets are icy even if they have been plowed/salted.

We told ya to get your supplies ahead of time. And many of you have snickered about how we "shut down" here. Uh, well, now you know why. Hope you bought your milk for your cereal and your bread for your peanut butter sandwiches.

I lived in Kansas, which believe me, got MORE snow than most of you folks got in the Northeast. But that didn't mean all the driveways, sidewalks and parking lots were cleared quickly after an ICE storm. Ice posed different problems. Ice is never easy to deal with. It just isn't feasible! I didn't expect it, either. So even big metro areas wh/ keep the roads cleared from snow have problems dealing with ice. Here no one has the $$$ to invest in equipment to even offer the services folks offered back in KS - to clear off parking lots - (there is no ROI!!! too infrequently used!!!!) but even if we did, ice is a whole different situation to tackle.

We have all been dealing with these occasional ice storms our whole lives. Adjust, folks.

I have never had the occasion to help a native out in the snow. That's b/c the natives know to stay home. The newcomers think that since they are from areas where it snows, they are so much more accustomed to dealing with snow, that they aren't gonna have problems here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-31-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 AM

6,306 posts, read 7,987,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
You have a 4 inch ice pack, temps will not rise over 32 much all week. This will be an issue late in the week.
Monday: high projected 41 degrees
Tuesday: high projected 43 degrees
Wednesday: high projected 45 degrees
Thursday: high projected 47 degrees

Based on past history and knowing that ice DOES melt when it's 40 degrees out, I know I'll be able to get out and to the store and will be able stock up for the next storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary