U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,428,149 times

Advertisements

It may snow up north a bunch in a month but here it happens so rare maybe once or twice a year
sometimes no snow that year
It crazy to have to budget for this extra equipment, manpower (budget deficit means higher taxes).
Raleigh is suppose to get up to 36 today
Mother nature will take care of this for FREE

its the weekend relax
trust me by monday afternoon alot of this is going to melt, prevent higher taxes
mother nature bless her heart does it for free
your in the south now
you move here for the lower cost of living.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM

2,275 posts, read 5,558,796 times
The hospitals are helping their employees in that respect.

I used to work for a bank's support center. When hazardous weather conditions were forecast, they provided hotel rooms for designated personnel, so they could walk to work.

Yankees may know snow, but they don't know snow in the South. If Yankees don't like the way things are done here, they can take their happy butts back up north. I'm not anti-transplant; I'm anti-transplant-trashing-the-south.

I look forward to snow days. So does my boss. I'd much rather have a bonus day off (or telecommute) than pay the higher taxes necessary to do what people are suggesting.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,257,995 times
Well, this couldn't have been said any better. Some folks would do well to just 'chill.'

Folks around here, in my neighborhood, who were out in their vehicles were just out 'looking,' not trying to get to businesses, hospitals, and the like. I do think there are emergency plans in place for people who experience emergencies and need to get to those places -- many people with four-wheel drives and personal snow equipment are generally on 'lists,' and willing to help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I copied this from anifan21 me and her are good friends but we carry the same view

I have never had the occasion to help a native out in the snow. That's b/c the natives know to stay home. The newcomers think that since they are from areas where it snows, they are so much more accustomed to dealing with snow, that they aren't gonna have problems here.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM

31,767 posts, read 55,686,317 times
Talking "Embarrassment?"

Embarrassment? How the heck did that work its way into the thread?
It seems appropriate to quote the great contemporary philosopher, Larry the Cable Guy.
"I don't care where you're from. THAT'S funny."

It is SO easy to embarrass oneself. (And often so much fun!) The height of laziness absolutely has to be laying around waiting for the weather to do it for you.

I was down in Brighton Forest this week. I bet those beautiful shaded streets are covered in ice.

Yep. It was a "non-event" every winter when I lived in the north for 40+ years, when the first snow flew, and hundreds of people ran into guard rails, and into ditches, trees, light poles, each other, and every other non-highway item in sight.
Such a "non-event" that the body shops closed down all winter; insurance adjusters went on the dole for lack of work; and no one left for jobs 90 minutes early due to road conditions.
Or not....

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM

20,692 posts, read 22,884,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Well, this couldn't have been said any better. Some folks would do well to just 'chill.'

Folks around here, in my neighborhood, who were out in their vehicles were just out 'looking,' not trying to get to businesses, hospitals, and the like. I do think there are emergency plans in place for people who experience emergencies and need to get to those places -- many people with four-wheel drives and personal snow equipment are generally on 'lists,' and willing to help others.

We were out and about "looking" yesterday! It was definately different from Michigan snow...We were told this last February and laughed when we first heard it..snow is snow---so we THOUGHT...

Watching the kids on their saucers zooming down the road (we have some really nice hilly roads in our neigborhood) and the parents driving to the nearest hills (sledding at Buffalo and US 70) was wonderful!!

We anticipated 99% of businesses to be closed, and found 15-20% were OPEN!

We even saw a guy running down the road trying to catch the mail truck. He was doing pretty good on the ice, but was NOT going to catch the truck. We pulled over and took his letters and caught the mailtruck up the road. Unbelievably, the mail person was kind of RUDE and said the guy needed to fix his flag if he expected his out-going mail to be picked up. He even made it sound like he KNEW the guy was trying to catch him!

If we did not have a 4 X 4, we would have never made it out of our neigborhood up the first hill!

Anyhows, as we know, it has done this for years (snowed periodically) and the method seems to have been working for years and my wife and I are just loving it...

Might have a day or two extra off work BUT that will mean LESS days for SPRING BREAK!!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,307,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It may snow up north a bunch in a month but here it happens so rare maybe once or twice a year
sometimes no snow that year
It crazy to have to budget for this extra equipment, manpower (budget deficit means higher taxes).
Raleigh is suppose to get up to 36 today
Mother nature will take care of this for FREE

its the weekend relax
trust me by monday afternoon alot of this is going to melt, prevent higher taxes
mother nature bless her heart does it for free
your in the south now
you move here for the lower cost of living.
100% agreed....its already starting to melt. Just relax people, if you're not comfortable driving...then dont.

That said, I drove Friday night during the snow and I drove yesterday afternoon after it had a chance to "ice over" and honestly...it was easy as pie. I had no issues. Again, if you're not comfortable then do us all a favor and either learn how to drive, or stay off the roads.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,166,664 times
Snow removal isn't as simple as buying a few plows. Imagine the overtime pay!

In the north there is an endless cycle of plowing up roads, then having to do lots of repairs as soon as the weather warms up. they get some of them fixed just in time for the next snowy season to start.

And we don't put SAND on the roads anymore. It isn't free. It isn't even cheap. Municipalities can no longer afford sand. They use cinders...yes, black burnt stuff. So that creates an endless cycle also...in the spring we anxiously await the arrival of the street sweeper to clean that crap up.

Wouldn't it make more sense in the case of a freak storm to call northern cities and ask to rent their personnel and equipment to come down and clear the roads? Here in NY we have temps in the teens but nothing on the ground.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM

6,385 posts, read 8,074,214 times
Honestly, if I was working in a field/industry where I HAD to be able to get to work no matter what, and I knew if it snowed I'd be in danger of not being able to get to work, and I chose to live in an area where it does occasionally snow/ice over I'd:

1. Live as close to work as was feasibly/reasonably possible and/or
2. Have (or have access to) a 4-wheel drive vehicle that could handle most snow/ice conditions and
3. Keep an 'emergency' fund so if I needed to get a motel room right near my work for an evening or 2 or 3, I could (afford) to do so.

I mean seriously. It snows maybe once a year (actually less than that, on average). Contingency plans CAN be made. For instance, one could arrange to rent a big 4-wheel drive SUV for a week (and arrange to pick it up before the snow comes). No it's not FREE to do this, but if you HAVE TO be able to get on the roads to get to work then there are ways to do it more safely.

What about working with your employer to make such contingency plans? Employers know the score here--if it snows/ices then the roads might be unsafe. If a job requires an employee show up no matter what, then maybe the employer can help formulate plans.

Expecting that the city/town/state should come and leave a trail of salt/sand from the edge of your car, down your driveway, down your street, on every side road you might travel, and then on your exact path to get to wherever it is you simply must go, is not very realistic. I mean sure, it would be nice and I personally would appreciate them doing that for me, but let's get real here.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM

616 posts, read 1,270,287 times
This is a matter of poor planning by the DOT. Again why have they spend thousand of dollars on equipment to spread brine? Money much better spent on buying sand cheap dump trucks can be used for other things and spreaders, cheaper than brine making and spreading. If you will not be putting material down after brining the brine is a huge waste of money. But it a feel good WRAL picture taking time before the storm to give what 675 people who had accidents the first 12 hours of the storm a false sense of security.?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 AM

616 posts, read 1,270,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Honestly, if I was working in a field/industry where I HAD to be able to get to work no matter what, and I knew if it snowed I'd be in danger of not being able to get to work, and I chose to live in an area where it does occasionally snow/ice over I'd:

1. Live as close to work as was feasibly/reasonably possible and/or
2. Have (or have access to) a 4-wheel drive vehicle that could handle most snow/ice conditions and
3. Keep an 'emergency' fund so if I needed to get a motel room right near my work for an evening or 2 or 3, I could (afford) to do so.

I mean seriously. It snows maybe once a year (actually less than that, on average). Contingency plans CAN be made. For instance, one could arrange to rent a big 4-wheel drive SUV for a week (and arrange to pick it up before the snow comes). No it's not FREE to do this, but if you HAVE TO be able to get on the roads to get to work then there are ways to do it more safely.

What about working with your employer to make such contingency plans? Employers know the score here--if it snows/ices then the roads might be unsafe. If a job requires an employee show up no matter what, then maybe the employer can help formulate plans.

Expecting that the city/town/state should come and leave a trail of salt/sand from the edge of your car, down your driveway, down your street, on every side road you might travel, and then on your exact path to get to wherever it is you simply must go, is not very realistic. I mean sure, it would be nice and I personally would appreciate them doing that for me, but let's get real here.

You too miss the point, major roads have not been adequately maintained. I am not advocating salt and sand on every inch of road, but hilly areas, main roads all should be treated with a minimum of SAND and GRIT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary