U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM

6,308 posts, read 7,990,836 times

Advertisements

Instead of complaining on a forum, why don't you write letters to the governor of the state, the DOT, and other agencies? Why don't you start a campaign and get signatures to address the issue? You could easily get one of the news stations to talk about this issue--you could even be interviewed if you wanted (the media here are always looking for stories).

Are you in contact with your town's commission? Why not? How is complaining on a message board going to fix the problem? Do you want to fix the problem--or is the goal to complain until someone else figures it out? You seem properly motivated and bothered enough...why don't you become the agent for change and take the issue on?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM

616 posts, read 1,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Instead of complaining on a forum, why don't you write letters to the governor of the state, the DOT, and other agencies? Why don't you start a campaign and get signatures to address the issue? Are you in contact with your town's commission? Why not? How is complaining on a message board going to fix the problem? Do you want to fix the problem--or is the goal to complain until someone else figures it out? You seem properly motivated and bothered enough...why don't you become the agent for change and take the issue on?
yes we have, However the old boy network down here is difficult to navigate. I am just putting my opinion out on the forum to gauge the attitude from others. Obviously most are unwilling to pay for services. Fine by me. I am just making an observation, but being pennywise and pound foolish can have unwanted consequences.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
yes we have, However the old boy network down here is difficult to navigate. I am just putting my opinion out on the forum to gauge the attitude from others. Obviously most are unwilling to pay for services. Fine by me. I am just making an observation, but being pennywise and pound foolish can have unwanted consequences.
There are 'old boy networks' in every state, in every jurisdiction. Nothing is impossible if you're motivated enough. Run some cost figures...show how much better it would be for sand/grit/salt to be put down than the brine solution they use now. If you can put together a logical argument then you can take it anywhere and get lots of attention. People are not unreasonable--but you have to do some homework and be persistent.

How do you think Raleigh's first dog park came to be? The city wouldn't do a thing. It was ALL volunteers! Volunteers going to city council meetings, volunteers campaigning for it, volunteers who actually did the work involved in clearing the trees, shrubs, logs, planting grass seed, obtaining sources of mulch, etc. to maintain the park. All the city did was agree on a 2 acre storm-damaged area that could be used, and they eventually paid for a fence around the area. That's it. Everything else was done by people who were passionate enough to get it done! Volunteers brought in heavy equipment, volunteers worked every weekend, and often during the week too. THAT'S how it got done. And then volunteers staffed the dog park so the rules could be enforced. ALL volunteers. Of course the Mayor and city council were only too happy to show up for the official opening and to get their pictures taken and get the credit, but that's the game here.

You want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen, and you'll find kindred spirits who will join you to make it happen.

Or you can sit there and complain about it.

Your choice, ultimately.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There are 'old boy networks' in every state, in every jurisdiction. Nothing is impossible if you're motivated enough. Run some cost figures...show how much better it would be for sand/grit/salt to be put down than the brine solution they use now. If you can put together a logical argument then you can take it anywhere and get lots of attention. People are not unreasonable--but you have to do some homework and be persistent.

How do you think Raleigh's first dog park came to be? The city wouldn't do a thing. It was ALL volunteers! Volunteers going to city council meetings, volunteers campaigning for it, volunteers who actually did the work involved in clearing the trees, shrubs, logs, planting grass seed, obtaining sources of mulch, etc. to maintain the park. All the city did was agree on a 2 acre storm-damaged area that could be used, and they eventually paid for a fence around the area. That's it. Everything else was done by people who were passionate enough to get it done! Of course the Mayor and city council were only too happy to show up for the official opening and to get their pictures taken, but that's the game here.

You want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.

I am not arguing with you here I agree with everything you are saying. I am just trying to see what the real public opinion is here on the forum, and yes trying to incite in a constructive way.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
Quote:
I think you need to talk to some people in your town to get a better handle on the situation. What you have posted here today in this thread shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of how road maintenance is executed and financed (both here and up North).

Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think you need to talk to some people in your town to get a better handle on the situation. What you have posted here today in this thread shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of how road maintenance is executed and financed (both here and up North).

Not true NRG

Was on the board of a town in NJ. We knew how much it would cost we knew how much we went over the budget. It was important to our community that during winter weather roads were to be maintained. money was allocated from other places when we went over budgets. look if they want to do nothing down here its fine by me. It just seems to me that an area with close to a million people and where it does snow and go below frezing that money should be allocated for at least SAND and GRIT to be spread on roads. Its much less expensive than the brine show that we see everytime its gonna snow the 1 inch on WRAL.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
look if they want to do nothing down here its fine by me.
Obviously it's not fine by you. So you have data that was gathered from your time up north, you can extrapolate costs and show why it might be better to use funds for sand/salt, and even how much it might take?

So what are you going to do with this information? You expect the folks currently on the board of your town to figure it out by themselves?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,222,084 times
I dont want this to become another nanny state
Whatever happen to personal responsibility

Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 11,859 times
Quote:
Not true NRG

Was on the board of a town in NJ. We knew how much it would cost we knew how much we went over the budget. It was important to our community that during winter weather roads were to be maintained. money was allocated from other places when we went over budgets. look if they want to do nothing down here its fine by me. It just seems to me that an area with close to a million people and where it does snow and go below frezing that money should be allocated for at least SAND and GRIT to be spread on roads. Its much less expensive than the brine show that we see everytime its gonna snow the 1 inch on WRAL.

With all due respect, I had an idea that "Was on the board of a town in NJ" might play into it somewhere. But here's a little perspective on winter storms in the south. It's neither financially feasible nor a prudent use of resources to apply the same theory for removing snow in Raleigh compared to a town in NJ. While Raleigh may, or maynot, get some crippling storms every year or so, there is no comparison to what the north east gets or how long it sticks around. And, as with any storm in the south, anything having to do with ice is the most dreaded. Raleigh and the surrounding areas have continued to increase in population and the usual complaints concerning acquiring more snow removal equipment or widening the roads ASAP are usually from those who have moved from a larger, northern city. I agree with another poster. Did you buy snow tires, chains? Do you own a four wheel vehicle? What exactly is it that puts you at a disadvantage because of the weather? What usually is the culprit is a complete inability to use common sense or control patience for many. I'm sure others have given thought to what you have expressed too but, we just take it in stride with events such as this.

Ice is something we all could do without but sometimes we have to take the treacherous with the beautiful and deal with it.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Yankees may know snow, but they don't know snow in the South. If Yankees don't like the way things are done here, they can take their happy butts back up north. I'm not anti-transplant; I'm anti-transplant-trashing-the-south.

I look forward to snow days. So does my boss. I'd much rather have a bonus day off (or telecommute) than pay the higher taxes necessary to do what people are suggesting.
Exhibit A - regarding my statement that the anti-transplant sentiment is so tiresome.

OK, that's fine. We can just leave ice all over the road. Why clear it? We're in the south now! Cars work better here! Drivers are more astute here! No need.

(I'd pay the taxes to make the roads a little safer than they are in the early mornings a couple of times a year, but that's me)

Edited to add: they're already spending the money on the brine. Why not replace it with salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary