U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM

5,704 posts, read 8,348,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense in the case of a freak storm to call northern cities and ask to rent their personnel and equipment to come down and clear the roads? Here in NY we have temps in the teens but nothing on the ground.
Actually that does seem like a great idea and would give those people a chance to make some nice extra cash

They could also bring down a stockpile of sleds and sell them!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,383,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Exhibit A - regarding my statement that the anti-transplant sentiment is so tiresome.

OK, that's fine. We can just leave ice all over the road. Why clear it? We're in the south now! Cars work better here! Drivers are more astute here! No need.

(I'd pay the taxes to make the roads a little safer than they are in the early mornings a couple of times a year, but that's me)

Edited to add: they're already spending the money on the brine. Why not replace it with salt.

mother nature will do it for free if transplants
could just develop southern patience
this isnt a nanny state
personal responsibility is key

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
mother nature will do it for free if transplants
could just develop southern patience
this isnt a nanny state
personal responsibility is key
ok - let's just stop brining too!

Why stop there - eliminate all guardrails and traffic lights! Yes!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 11,895 times
Quote:
Snow removal isn't as simple as buying a few plows. Imagine the overtime pay!

In the north there is an endless cycle of plowing up roads, then having to do lots of repairs as soon as the weather warms up. they get some of them fixed just in time for the next snowy season to start.

And we don't put SAND on the roads anymore. It isn't free. It isn't even cheap. Municipalities can no longer afford sand. They use cinders...yes, black burnt stuff. So that creates an endless cycle also...in the spring we anxiously await the arrival of the street sweeper to clean that crap up.

Wouldn't it make more sense in the case of a freak storm to call northern cities and ask to rent their personnel and equipment to come down and clear the roads? Here in NY we have temps in the teens but nothing on the ground.

The south is more prone to hurricanes; some of which occur as "freak storms" after endless amounts of forecasting. Should we ask northern cities to come down and clean up after the hurricanes too? But one thing we do have on our side. We try to plow our roads clean and not plow them up.

As the bartender says, drink the beer being served or............

Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 12,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Why stop there - eliminate all guardrails and traffic lights! Yes!
Guardrails and traffic lights have uses beyond the occasional snow event.

You are being silly.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykell View Post
Guardrails and traffic lights have uses beyond the occasional snow event.

You are being silly.
It was a joke in response to Sunny's post about personal responsibility

Anyway, I'm out of the debate, I've got crock pot food to eat! It's not getting any younger!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM

763 posts, read 1,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Capt, one could also argue that it's a failure on your part since you don't have snow tires and chains to put on your car, do you? People from northern states have these things, but people here don't. Again, the investment just isn't justified.
I have a hard time justifying buying my kids snow boots & snow pants each year because again, the cost is not justified paying for something that may not happen. I do not wish to waste my tax money on anything other than what they do now. If you want perfectly clear roads, you'll have to go up north!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM

763 posts, read 1,603,039 times
And by the way, aren't the taxes up north WAY higher than here??

Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 AM

20,653 posts, read 22,841,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
And by the way, aren't the taxes up north WAY higher than here??

Painfully higher I might add...

Can't we just let it snow and enjoy?

Whether from the comfort of the couch or the driver's seat of our cars...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,990,588 times
Quote:
This would mean taxpayers funds would be funneled out of the state. Better to pay locals to do it so the money stays in the local economy, especially in a recession.

Personally, I'm happy to let it melt, but boy did we get lucky that this came on a weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary