U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Not true NRG

Was on the board of a town in NJ.
Towns don't handle the roads here. It is the state, so I would say it would be much different. Unless I am wrong.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-31-2010 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Fixed the quote

Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM

6,310 posts, read 7,990,836 times
Quote:
Can't we just let it snow and enjoy?
Unless you have a way to stop it from snowing? ;-D

Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,970,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
I have a hard time justifying buying my kids snow boots & snow pants each year because again, the cost is not justified paying for something that may not happen. I do not wish to waste my tax money on anything other than what they do now. If you want perfectly clear roads, you'll have to go up north!
Don't worry, people complain about the snow removal in the North too...
Anybody not been plowed out yet?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It may snow up north a bunch in a month but here it happens so rare maybe once or twice a year
sometimes no snow that year
It crazy to have to budget for this extra equipment, manpower (budget deficit means higher taxes).
Raleigh is suppose to get up to 36 today
Mother nature will take care of this for FREE

its the weekend relax
trust me by monday afternoon alot of this is going to melt, prevent higher taxes
mother nature bless her heart does it for free
your in the south now
you move here for the lower cost of living.
There is an old saying: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Most people LIKE the snow holiday! Like Sunny said, RELAX. So what if you can't get to Wal Mart for another day?!!

This reminds me of the controversy over Wake County Schools. Because the complainers are the ones that you hear, you forget that plenty of us are happy with Wake County schools. It makes you wonder when you hear that only 30% of parents completed the surveys. Does that mean that 70% are happy with the way things are done?

Vicki

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM

467 posts, read 1,552,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Capt, one could also argue that it's a failure on your part since you don't have snow tires and chains to put on your car, do you? People from northern states have these things, but people here don't. Again, the investment just isn't justified.
That's not entirely true. I grew up in the upper part of Michigan, right on Lake Superior, and we never put snow tires on our cars, and know very few people who dealt w/ chains - they certainly weren't legal for the main roads, and were used by people who were working way off the beaten trail, if that.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM

616 posts, read 1,264,727 times
Here we go for Monday already...

Roads 'likely to be a nightmare'; schools start closing :: WRAL.com

Oh and the forecast for next weekend...

Friday: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

This will trend colder and we could be looking at more snow. You could end up with 5 to 8 days with school closed if this verifies. Oh and the roads...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,419,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Most people LIKE the snow holiday! Like Sunny said, RELAX. So what if you can't get to Wal Mart for another day?!!
Vicki
I'm sure City-Data is not an accurate reflection of the population and excludes the large number of people who, if they can't get to work on a particular day, DO NOT GET PAID. For someone living paycheck to paycheck, trying to get as many hours of work at their jobs as they can, being forced to hibernate at home for several days is a significant hardship. For some, this will be three or four days of being unable to earn income. Alas, landlords and utility companies won't be discounting their monthly rates because of the impassibility of the roads.

That said, I understand the snow-removal limitations. It'd be nice, though, if more than 2% of homeowners would go out and shovel the sidewalk in front of their houses. It's just being polite.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Well, I just went outside to clear off my car and found that not only was my Saturday paper delivered, so was my Sunday one. And, the mail was delivered yesterday.

And here I thought NC shut down completely when it snowed... guess you can't believe everything you read on a message board!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
Just a friendly reminder about what the Terms of Service have to say:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.
So let's please keep things polite, folks.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I'm sure City-Data is not an accurate reflection of the population and excludes the large number of people who, if they can't get to work on a particular day, DO NOT GET PAID. For someone living paycheck to paycheck, trying to get as many hours of work at their jobs as they can, being forced to hibernate at home for several days is a significant hardship. For some, this will be three or four days of being unable to earn income. Alas, landlords and utility companies won't be discounting their monthly rates because of the impassibility of the roads.

That said, I understand the snow-removal limitations. It'd be nice, though, if more than 2% of homeowners would go out and shovel the sidewalk in front of their houses. It's just being polite.
I understand the economy and I understand that there are people that live paycheck to paycheck.

However, anyone that lives here or moves here should understand the sitution that occurs when we get any accumulation of snow. And if it is something that you just can't live with...you have alternatives.

When hubby worked at Wake Med., he HAD to get to work. It was a REQUIREMENT. He either parked at the top of the driveway so that he could get to work OR he called ahead and let it be known that he had to be picked up. Most hospitals have a group with 4 wheel drive jeeps/cars that can pick up those that must be at work. He was responsible for getting himself to work.

I do not have a sidewalk in front of my home but if I did... I would not shovel it. If someone feels the need to go and walk around neighborhoods and simply can't wait for the snow to melt, then you should not expect others to clear the way for you. There are many elderly folks that simply cannot shovel snow and I would never consider them impolite.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary