U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,726,148 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if I'm repeating something already said, I just flew back into RDU Friday night so I'm a bit behind ...
If you have a requirement to be driving (work, health, etc.) you need to be prepared. Don't expect the local government to clean the roads here. It doesn't happen and I doubt it ever really will.
Being prepared means having a vehicle with the proper tires for the conditions and being alert for rapidly changing road conditions (by rapidly, I mean expect to go from dry to a sheet of ice in an instant). As silly as it sounds, we have a set of proper snow tires on a second set of wheels that we keep in the crawl space for times like these. Driving skill is still paramount, but a good set of real snow tires will go a long way.
I do have a good laugh every time I hear "but it never snows in Raleigh". I wonder how many times you get to be a snow virgin?

Frank

Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,082,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Look I know the song, we don't get much snow and ice in the winter and we close everything when it does, but almost a million, yes 1,000,000 people now call wake and surrounding counties home. Road response is a major concern. It is a total failure. the idiotic brine before does nothing. See Rt 401 from Fuquay to Raleigh right now. A Scary mess. Schools will be closed for a good part of the week, it is not going to warm up really until wednesday afternoon at the earliest. there is area wide 2 to 3 inches of ICE on the roads, not snow its ice. The storm was mostly sleet. ICE!! Time to spend some tax dollars to be able to make roads passable with salt and grit when weather like we have happens. Heck long term for next friday is another winter storm. Financially for this area it is a huge lost weekend which will fall over into the week.

The politicians around these parts should be ashamed.
The politicians should be ashamed?? Oh good grief

You yankees are killing me, lol. The politicians work for the people. And THE PEOPLE don't want higher taxes - at least the southern people here don't.

For your entertainment, there is a similar thread on the Charlotte board:

development doesnt plow driveway?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,040,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Here we go for Monday already...

Roads 'likely to be a nightmare'; schools start closing :: WRAL.com

Oh and the forecast for next weekend...

Friday: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

This will trend colder and we could be looking at more snow. You could end up with 5 to 8 days with school closed if this verifies. Oh and the roads...
In the 30 plus yrs I've lived here I do remember this scenario happening one other time...not bad when you look at how infrequently it happens.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,277,878 times
I hope we get more snow! Our species managed to survive snow for 200,000 plus years before the invention of plows, and I suspect we will be just fine slowing life down for a few days.
I would also agree with several posters; no need to spend more tax money we do not have for equipment we would rarely use.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM

574 posts, read 1,077,829 times
I'm not paying higher taxes for salt and plows for an every other year occurrence. But if it bothers the Northerners so much, I'd be happy to see a tax instituted when you hand over your NJ, NY, MA tags at the dmv. "Thank you, that'll be $750 in plow tax and welcome to our lovely state!"

Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM

181 posts, read 292,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
I'm not paying higher taxes for salt and plows for an every other year occurrence. But if it bothers the Northerners so much, I'd be happy to see a tax instituted when you hand over your NJ, NY, MA tags at the dmv. "Thank you, that'll be $750 in plow tax and welcome to our lovely state!"
Excellant..A great idea....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,420,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I understand the economy and I understand that there are people that live paycheck to paycheck.

However, anyone that lives here or moves here should understand the sitution that occurs when we get any accumulation of snow. And if it is something that you just can't live with...you have alternatives.

When hubby worked at Wake Med., he HAD to get to work. It was a REQUIREMENT. He either parked at the top of the driveway so that he could get to work OR he called ahead and let it be known that he had to be picked up. Most hospitals have a group with 4 wheel drive jeeps/cars that can pick up those that must be at work. He was responsible for getting himself to work.
It's great that he had other options like that. People who work at McDonald's or at REI, which frankly aren't as life-critical as a hospital, may not have that option. The owners figure that no one can get out to shop anyway, so they might as well stay shut. Not great for them, but at least they save on paying salaries to their hourly workers. For the folks working there, though, it's not so good.

Quote:
I do not have a sidewalk in front of my home but if I did... I would not shovel it. If someone feels the need to go and walk around neighborhoods and simply can't wait for the snow to melt, then you should not expect others to clear the way for you. There are many elderly folks that simply cannot shovel snow and I would never consider them impolite.
I wouldn't consider people who CAN'T shovel snow to be impolite. Others I would. I just don't feel it's kind when people leave their sidewalks clogged up so that people who have trouble walking through snow, people with kids in strollers, etc., can't make it through if they need to get to the store or something. (Like the sidewalk in front of my house, which is right on a major walking path to the local elementary school. Without snow removal I doubt it would be completely clear before school starts up again, due in part to the fact that it gets little direct sunlight at this time of year.)

Everyone talks about how much nicer people are in North Carolina; they're more polite driving, they pay more attention to you in the store, etc. But failing to take responsibility for the walkability of the sidewalk in front of your house seems a little un-neighborly.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 PM

406 posts, read 695,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
But failing to take responsibility for the walkability of the sidewalk in front of your house seems a little un-neighborly.
And a liability.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,678,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Everyone talks about how much nicer people are in North Carolina; they're more polite driving, they pay more attention to you in the store, etc. But failing to take responsibility for the walkability of the sidewalk in front of your house seems a little un-neighborly.
I agree with this. I grew up in an area that regularly got snow in the winter. If there weren't laws on removing snow from the sidewalk, there was at least an understanding that it's something you do. It might take you a little longer than the driveway, but you do it nevertheless. And if there's someone who's elderly or ill, it's understood that someone just does their section of the sidewalk without making a fuss.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM

477 posts, read 1,237,269 times
Quote:
I do not have a sidewalk in front of my home but if I did... I would not shovel it. If someone feels the need to go and walk around neighborhoods and simply can't wait for the snow to melt, then you should not expect others to clear the way for you. There are many elderly folks that simply cannot shovel snow and I would never consider them impolite.

Vicki
Huhh??? We shovel our sidewalk AND the sidewalk of our elderly neighbor. I don't want her to fall and break a hip! And I would hope that our neighbors would do the same for me someday when I am elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary