U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,264,939 times

Advertisements

Look I know the song, we don't get much snow and ice in the winter and we close everything when it does, but almost a million, yes 1,000,000 people now call wake and surrounding counties home. Road response is a major concern. It is a total failure. the idiotic brine before does nothing. See Rt 401 from Fuquay to Raleigh right now. A Scary mess. Schools will be closed for a good part of the week, it is not going to warm up really until wednesday afternoon at the earliest. there is area wide 2 to 3 inches of ICE on the roads, not snow its ice. The storm was mostly sleet. ICE!! Time to spend some tax dollars to be able to make roads passable with salt and grit when weather like we have happens. Heck long term for next friday is another winter storm. Financially for this area it is a huge lost weekend which will fall over into the week.

The politicians around these parts should be ashamed.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM

71 posts, read 229,313 times
I don't really know if I should blame because I don't understand the dynamics of preventing some of these ice issues. But there is a LOT of ice on side neighborhood streets.

Anyone know how cities similar to Raleigh, but in a snowy climate handles situations like the one we had today?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,744,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
I don't really know if I should blame because I don't understand the dynamics of preventing some of these ice issues. But there is a LOT of ice on side neighborhood streets.

Anyone know how cities similar to Raleigh, but in a snowy climate handles situations like the one we had today?
Well, (since I never made it to NC, I'm in CT), snow is different. It is actually much easier to remove effectively than this awful ice stuff you all are getting. According to accounts I'm reading here, you have ice and sleet? That's some nasty stuff, and you can't plow ice. The only way to get improvement is dumping tons of salt and sand, and even then, the side roads and intersections will still be bad. The heavy use of snow/ice clearing substances have their own environmental side effects-which is a whole 'nother can of worms.
It sounds like you are having a bad ice storm, which would cause closeures here, NC, or anywhere

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM

712 posts, read 3,708,928 times
Quote:
More heavy equipment (like plows), and large stockpiles of salt and sand. Things like that just aren't a good investment here, used too infrequently (once a year or less) and personally I'm fine with my tax dollars not going to those things.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 PM

71 posts, read 229,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
More heavy equipment (like plows), and large stockpiles of salt and sand. Things like that just aren't a good investment here, used too infrequently (once a year or less) and personally I'm fine with my tax dollars not going to those things.
Oh ok. Same here, this area gets snow like this once every couple years. I think the DOT did the best they could with what they got. :kanyeshrug:

Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 PM

406 posts, read 695,652 times
Quote:
Salting the roads, (not brine) plowing without break untill all major roads are clear, then...without break clearing all secondary roads. Salting again. In northern cities/towns the 5-8 inches of snow that fell in the Triangle would be a non event. By this time most of the major roads would be dry as a bone.
Not the extremely hazardous skating rink the roads currently are.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Oh ok. Same here, this area gets snow like this once every couple years. I think the DOT did the best they could with what they got. :kanyeshrug:

It is quite possibel that again within this week we have another winter event. It is showing in the modles.

Sorry but the cost factor of NOT doing it becomes a financial problem for an area with 1 million people. IT does snow we do get ice here in this part of NC. The closing down of everything is a joke. People still need to get to hospitals businesses etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Brine without additional material during the event is a HUGE waste of tax money, but it looks good. The DOT knows it does not work. It was washed off after the first hour of snow that quickly melted and then was washed off the road and onto the cars driving. Then there was NOTHING on the roads and no extra salt and sand put down. Sorry you cannot have it both ways down here. Its a total mess right now. Unacceptable.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM

712 posts, read 3,708,928 times
Capt, one could also argue that it's a failure on your part since you don't have snow tires and chains to put on your car, do you? People from northern states have these things, but people here don't. Again, the investment just isn't justified.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,744,509 times
I can see what Capt is saying. I mean, here in CT schools and such might get closed a day here and there, but it almost never is more than ONE consecutive day. If it was, there would be much wailing and nashing of teeth. It's expected that the roads will be cleared, but we pay much higher taxes, and the roads get torn up from the plows and salt. It is a tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary