U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

425 posts, read 652,849 times
Default thinking about a family vacation within a days drive

Wow, this winter weather has gotten me down, or else it's just been the busy busy work, kids, etc. It seems like Christmas was ages ago.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a family vacation destination that is within a days drive that involves staying at a hotel or "resort" of some kind (that is in quotes because it doesn't need to be luxury), where you can check in and basically walk to the attractions?

I am looking for something that doesn't involve getting the kids (a toddler and preschooler) in and out of the car a million times a day.

Last year we went to Williamsburg for a long weekend and it was great. The only down side was that it was very hot when went and so the walk from our hotel to the attractions was kind of brutal, and the hotel room was small (we opted for the smaller one to save money) so after the kids went to bed we were prisoners in a sense of not being able to turn the lights or TV on.

I am interested in beach stuff, but haven't found the right place yet in terms of price or attractions. With the kids being so young it's not like we want to spend each day on the beach all day. They obviously can't go in the ocean on their own and they shouldn't bake in the sun too long either.

We did a trip to the Blowing Rock area which was nice and our son enjoyed Tweetsie but it was a lot of driving and our daughter is too young for most of those rides.

Any great ideas?

ETA -- I am hoping to go in the spring -- just want to get something planned so I have something to look forward to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,998,924 times
Home | Great Wolf Resorts

Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 PM

OK, someone else had suggested this IRL recently. I wasn't sure my kids would be old enough but perhaps they are. Is it fun for adults there? If the kids are happy and mom and dad can relax, then that's good -- even if that means watching the audioanimitronics! My sister used to do such a great impersonation of the ones from Chuckey Cheese when we were little!

The spa is a plus!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM

997 posts, read 2,910,706 times
Downtown Charlotte is small but walkable and has a very nice Children's Museum. Can't remember the name of it off hand.

Hilton Head and a bit warmer there. Not beach weather but comfortable weather. There are dozens of hotels and resorts so you can stay somewhere with a budget in mind or go all out at a resort. You could walk the beach. Mini golf. Stroll through some shops etc. Bike riding. Depending on where you stay on Hilton Head you can walk.

Charleston if you stay in the Historic District. A bit warmer too. Take a carriage ride through the historic district. Stroll through some shops. There is an aquarium. Lots of restaurants. You won't need a car unless you want to see one of the plantations, Ft. Sumter, USS Yorktown etc.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 AM

421 posts, read 799,172 times
I second the Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg!!! Fabulous! Also, Mrytle Beach (Broadway at the Beach has shopping, eateries, movies, aquarium).

Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

14,540 posts, read 7,527,028 times
Virginia Beach is a favorite of ours.

We rent a house (with a pool) in Sandbridge and drive to the attractions in the area. There's a small zoo and aquarium and of course the beach is there.

Areas like Williamsburg are a short drive away (about an hour and half...nice for a daytrip). We've gone to Bush Gardens and Water Country USA in that area as well on daytrips.

Norfolk is also very close as well. There's a nice children's museum there that was hands-on as well as lots of dining options.

We've taken our kids almost every year since and have experienced the area with kids ages 8 months to 10yrs...there is something for all age groups there or a quick drive away.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM

133 posts, read 290,284 times
Beaufort, NC is also very nice and just 3 hours from Raleigh. It is much smaller than Charleston or Savannah and doesn't offer the horse drawn carriage rides, but it is close to beaches, has a very nice waterfront with shops, restaurants, etc, and is a nice small town. They have events throughout the Spring and Summer - Crystal Coast NC | Emerald Isle NC | Events Calendar (http://www.crystalcoastnc.org/eventscalendar/ - broken link)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was sorry I forgot to mention that I am definitely open to the "real deal" of walkable cities and towns. Sometimes one forgets that they do exist!

I had looked into Charleston a while back and found that the hotels were superexpensive in the walking districts (like $300/night and such). I did go for an overnight with DH and we had to stay across the river.

Beaufort! I spend a decent amount of time there as child. I think it's more upscale now, in terms of shops and all, hadn't even thought of that, thanks.

Hilton Head I have also been to as a child (stayed with friends in a regular house, not hotel) and I have looked some on-line but had a hard time gauging how things were laid out and just how walkable it is. But it sounds like an option.

Myrtle Beach I went to for "seniors week" in high school, LOL. I didn't get to any cultural attractions but I imagine they are there.

VA I am not as familiar with so that's worth checking out again, beyond Williamsburg.

We are lucky to live with so many options so close!! In Chicago Wisconsin was the only place I liked to go that was drivable!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

8,523 posts, read 13,879,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
I second the Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg!!! Fabulous! Also, Mrytle Beach (Broadway at the Beach has shopping, eateries, movies, aquarium).
Yep, you just read my mind. Great places to go!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Ah, mjmama! I just clicked the link and saw you were referring to BO-furt, not BEW-furt!

I stand corrected, I have never been to Beaufort, NC!

(I have been to Beaufort, SC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary