U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 PM

14,960 posts, read 8,256,198 times

Advertisements

This thread has amused me thoroughly!

I was born and raised on LI and then moved to Western NY and lived there for about 10yrs. Terrible pizza, terrible bagels and where were all the bakeries???

I did not care much for the regional food there. Everything "french" and garbage plates...eh, not my cup of tea.

AND...I also concur...a REAL pizza joint would never make wings. Ohhh, and a real pizza joint also serves meatball heros, baked pasta dishes, garlic knots AND zeppolis. God how I miss my Zeppolis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 23,900 times
This thread has done 2 things for me:
1. Taught me that people can become very defensive about the pizza they grew up with (myself included)
2. Provided some great laughs

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,427,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
This thread has amused me thoroughly!

I was born and raised on LI and then moved to Western NY and lived there for about 10yrs. Terrible pizza, terrible bagels and where were all the bakeries???

I did not care much for the regional food there. Everything "french" and garbage plates...eh, not my cup of tea.

AND...I also concur...a REAL pizza joint would never make wings. Ohhh, and a real pizza joint also serves meatball heros, baked pasta dishes, garlic knots AND zeppolis. God how I miss my Zeppolis!
I must stop you there...pizza and wings go together like...hydrogen and oxygen. Any good WING place is going to have good pizza as well. A good pizza place doesn't necessarily need to have good wings to be a quality restaurant; but to say that a restaurant that serves pizza and wings would have substandard pizza is just...ridiculous.

And the Garbage plate is not something people eat on a regular basis like pizza and wings are.

I never though I'd get defensive over something as silly as a regional food (especially since I've ever considered there to be such a thing as "WNY pizza"; but I'll be darned if a Long Islander is going to dis the pizza and wings combo made in heaven when they likely put semi-liquefied salmon parts on their bagel.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,936,895 times
How about Roma's Italian in Cary. They're from upstate NY:

http://www.dinewithusclub.com/menu/3717_DWUC_menu.pdf

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I must stop you there...pizza and wings go together like...hydrogen and oxygen. Any good WING place is going to have good pizza as well. A good pizza place doesn't necessarily need to have good wings to be a quality restaurant; but to say that a restaurant that serves pizza and wings would have substandard pizza is just...ridiculous.

And the Garbage plate is not something people eat on a regular basis like pizza and wings are.

I never though I'd get defensive over something as silly as a regional food (especially since I've ever considered there to be such a thing as "WNY pizza"; but I'll be darned if a Long Islander is going to dis the pizza and wings combo made in heaven when they likely put semi-liquefied salmon parts on their bagel.
LOL, lox is nasty! Don't assume that all LI'ers like that. Actually, I don't know anyone that likes lox. I believe it's more of a Jewish food item if I'm not mistaken and LI does have a high concentration of the Jewish population. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

And I stand by my statement, pizza and wings don't go together, at least not where I was born and raised.

I do miss Bill Grays from WNY though. Dh and I were talking about that place the other day. Haven't ventured out to try any burger joint here but if anyone has any recommendations for something similar to that place that would be great!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
How about Roma's Italian in Cary. They're from upstate NY:

http://www.dinewithusclub.com/menu/3717_DWUC_menu.pdf
I've been to and organized several events that were catered by Roma's. I have not had their pizza but their catering is pretty good.

Moreso, their customer service is outstanding! They are very easy to work with, esepcially when requesting an item that is not on the menu. They are also spot on with their estimates for quantity.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,427,968 times
Quote:
LOL, lox is nasty! Don't assume that all LI'ers like that. Actually, I don't know anyone that likes lox. I believe it's more of a Jewish food item if I'm not mistaken and LI does have a high concentration of the Jewish population. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

And I stand by my statement, pizza and wings don't go together, at least not where I was born and raised.

I do miss Bill Grays from WNY though. Dh and I were talking about that place the other day. Haven't ventured out to try any burger joint here but if anyone has any recommendations for something similar to that place that would be great!
I'm not sure if you lived in Buff or Roch but in Rochester we have Schaller's which is actually better than Bill Grays (at least IMO). Closest thing they have in NC which is also pretty good is Cook Out which I know there is one on Walnut in Cary and probably several others.

But I still can't believe you lived anywhere in NYS west of Syracuse for 10 years and DON'T think that pizza and wings go good together. That just makes me cringe.

Glad to hear you don't do lox though!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,229,651 times
Schaller's is heaven. I remember going there when I was in second grade...and decades thereafter. I visit every time I visit Rochester. Their French fries are the best in the world, and nowhere in NC can match their cheeseburger on a hard roll.

Sigh...memories...

Too bad they never made pizza. Pontillos used to have the best pizza.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you lived in Buff or Roch but in Rochester we have Schaller's which is actually better than Bill Grays (at least IMO). Closest thing they have in NC which is also pretty good is Cook Out which I know there is one on Walnut in Cary and probably several others.

But I still can't believe you lived anywhere in NYS west of Syracuse for 10 years and DON'T think that pizza and wings go good together. That just makes me cringe.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:

I guess I was so used to pizza being more "mom and pop" italian with all those other food items, wings just didn't fit into the equation for me. Dh and I were actually scratching our head the first time we went out for pizza and saw wings on the menu. Kind of like if you went to LI and went out for pizza and they didn't have wings...I'm sure that's odd for those from WNY that visit LI.

Where was Shaller's located? I don't recall that one at all.

We lived in Clarkson so closer to Rochester than Buffalo but we used to visit the Bill Gray's in Brockport often.

I miss Dinosaur too. That was some YUMMY BBQ! We had them cater my daughters Baptism and everyone raved, though I think down here people would turn their noses up at it.

I used to have their sauce shipped down here so I could make my own pulled pork. Now I can get it at some HT's.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,229,651 times
Schallers is on Edgemere Drive, which is near the lake and between Buck Pond and Round Pond.

Google Maps

Quote:
I guess I was so used to pizza being more "mom and pop" italian with all those other food items, wings just didn't fit into the equation for me. Dh and I were actually scratching our head the first time we went out for pizza and saw wings on the menu. Kind of like if you went to LI and went out for pizza and they didn't have wings...I'm sure that's odd for those from WNY that visit LI.

Where was Shaller's located? I don't recall that one at all.

We lived in Clarkson so closer to Rochester than Buffalo but we used to visit the Bill Gray's in Brockport often.

I miss Dinosaur too. That was some YUMMY BBQ! We had them cater my daughters Baptism and everyone raved, though I think down here people would turn their noses up at it.

I used to have their sauce shipped down here so I could make my own pulled pork. Now I can get it at some HT's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary