Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,592,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Thank you to the OP for this post. I have a friend who was able to get a transfer from NYC to Raleigh. Her and her husband are doing ok and were trying to convince my wife and me to move down. However, after doing some researching, tech jobs are nearly impossible to find and the housing market is nearly identically to what I pay in a county north of NYC.
It is definitely hard to find a job here - but I will mention that property taxes are much, much lower. So while it may look like houses here cost close to what NY(State) houses do, be sure to factor in taxes. I have family that lives about an hour north of NYC, and I'm blown away by how high their annual tax bills are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM

3,294 posts, read 8,533,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
Waterboy, just a quick question: Why do you think your salary would remain the same if you moved to the DC area? Is it the specific industry you work in?

I'm looking at getting at least $10,000 more for doing the same work up there as I'm doing down here. And maybe even up to $20,000 from what I've seen in some job postings. My husband would definitely take a massive pay cut if he left his VA-based company to do the same job down here. So I'm just curious about your rationale.
I think our family income would stay the same, at least for a while anyway. I think I could make $10k, posibly $15k more if I got on with a good company. However, I think my wife would take a $10-15k cut in what she makes now.

Long term we could possibly make more, but short term we'd be lucky to make the same and that would be if/when we get new jobs. She is making much more now then she made when she worked in Rockville, MD.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM

406 posts, read 786,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Thank you to the OP for this post. I have a friend who was able to get a transfer from NYC to Raleigh. Her and her husband are doing ok and were trying to convince my wife and me to move down. However, after doing some researching, tech jobs are nearly impossible to find and the housing market is nearly identically to what I pay in a county north of NYC.
Your welcome.

I Hope people that are researching this area consider all variables. Cost of living is an important factor, and it's relative. I have never lived in the North East, my wife and I moved from the midwest (michigan) and I can tell you that the cost of living is significantly higher in the Triangle; everything from groceries to dry cleaning.
The online cost of living calculators are not that accurate. IMHO

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM

995 posts, read 2,721,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
It is definitely hard to find a job here - but I will mention that property taxes are much, much lower. So while it may look like houses here cost close to what NY(State) houses do, be sure to factor in taxes. I have family that lives about an hour north of NYC, and I'm blown away by how high their annual tax bills are.
Property taxes might be high, but everything else is pretty much the same. Plus way too many New Yorkers for even me living in Raleigh/Durham area.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Don't forget our very, very high sales taxes here. And they tax everything.
A $100 pair of shoes in Connecticut will cost you $100. Around here it would be $107.75.

My wife and I would leave tomorrow if we could. Have to get some stuff worked out first. DC/Baltimore or North Jersey would be our top choices.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM

17,696 posts, read 15,410,768 times
I live in fear of losing the one job I've managed to find and keep here. I've been here for 8 years and have been employed for the last 5 of those 8 years at one company. The prior 3 - 4 years were just dismal. I have my MBA, 20+ years experience, and I'd be S.O.L. if my job went away and I would probably have to move since I'm in the IT space (non-technical).

As far as I'm concerned, and I've said this before, the job situation has been sparse/difficult for IT (and telecom) for most of the 8 years I've lived in the Triangle. I know it's bad everywhere, but I live here.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM

122 posts, read 287,507 times
I just heard today that GSK is laying off another 4,000 people world-wide. Don't know how many of those jobs are in the Triangle..................

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,555,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
I just heard today that GSK is laying off another 4,000 people world-wide. Don't know how many of those jobs are in the Triangle..................
You're obviously not getting your daily dose of CD. We've known since Monday

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-lay-offs.html

Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,426,231 times
I feel for you all with the current job market. I have watched the homes around me go up on the market as some of the groups in the RTP either close completely, or issue the pink slips for a RIF.

My husband and I have been looking outside the Triangle area, and would love to go to DC. Seems some of the best opportunities right now are with the Feds. Our next-door-neighbor had better luck moving back to DC, herself, than staying here and looking for two years for a position in her area of project management, although another neighbor finally landed a good job that lets him project-manage from home.

Teachers' positions seems to be a moot point most any place, but my husband is in water reclamation and has had bites -- little better than nibbles, but not quite offers -- if we are willing to move to areas like the Midwest and the West Coast.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times
Seems too many places have a faultering economy. We left the north country in February when I was offered a position in the area. My wife was just offerred a position TODAY, almost 12 months after we moved. We are glad for the work, and it was the reason we came down. But we would just a s quickly look else where if (fingers crossed) our jobs were eliminated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary