Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times

Advertisements

Mailbox damage was par for the course when I lived in MA. Most homeowners I knew just fixed it themselves. It was usually the post that was beat up -- not the actually mailbox. Thankfully my HOA doesn't have any fancy mailbox requirements

Is the $1000 for just the mailbox or the whole kit & kaboodle (post and all)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
it's probably the only thing i don't particularly care for with our HOA. it's lax otherwise. and, of course, you can't just go buy one from Lowe's that looks similar. noope, it has to be the EXACT one. and guess who's the only one in town that can get it? yep, the HOA.

Mike
Wait- your HOA sells the mailboxes they require? That seems shady.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
Maynard Loop Update-

I live just off the Maynard Loop near Cary High School. We had two service calls today on opposite sides of the Loop; so we had to drive the entire circle.

Drum roll please . . . . . . . . . .

We counted over 60, yes, SIXTY mailboxes, posts, or both that were damaged by the snowplows. And, more than half the reflective lane markers were gone as well. A DOT engineer friend told me that those reflectors cost over $4 EACH (not counting the labor to install them, block traffic, delay commuters, etc)

The Storm of January 29/30 was quite expensive in many regards. I should go into the mailbox replacement business, Just call if you need a new mailbox. I bet we can find you one for less than $1,000!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Yeah, 60 mailboxes is pretty bad.

Last year my box got taken out by a snowplow...i thought it was the plow, but I heard from a neighbor that she saw it happen...it wasn't the plow but the flying snow/ice. If the plow never touched it, I figured I didn't have grounds for a claim. I sucked it up and paid for the repair myself.

We don't have those reflective markers here in NY...now i know why!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
ugh every time we have a snowstorm they seem to plow the road reflectors up with the snow. i've never seen a mailbox trashed. terrible!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
ugh every time we have a snowstorm they seem to plow the road reflectors up with the snow.
How could they plow the roads effectively without risking knocking the reflectors off? Happens up north as well, they just have a budget to replace more of them.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
Mailboxes.com – Home and Residential Mailboxes, Rural Mailboxes, Decorative Mailboxes and Mailbox Posts (http://www.mailboxes.com/Residential-Mailboxes.asp - broken link)

I've delt with this comany through work.... I bet thie is where some of thise 1k mailboxes come from.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
How could they plow the roads effectively without risking knocking the reflectors off? Happens up north as well, they just have a budget to replace more of them.
In northern areas, the reflectors are frequently embedded in the pavement, so the plows go right over them without damaging them. It's more expensive upfront, but obviously they do a lot more plowing up there.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I'm in CT and I've never even seen reflectors on the roads-we just have regular white paint lines. I've also never seen so many mailboxes knocked down as I'm reading about here (from one storm). I think you've got some inexperienced plow drivers! Wow.

We did live in a rental house a couple years ago that had a curbside mailbox and it got knocked down, but the town replaced it. It was just a cheap plastic box and plain wood post though. I'm shocked at the idea of expensive mandated mailboxes.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I'm in CT and I've never even seen reflectors on the roads-we just have regular white paint lines. I've also never seen so many mailboxes knocked down as I'm reading about here (from one storm). I think you've got some inexperienced plow drivers! Wow.

We did live in a rental house a couple years ago that had a curbside mailbox and it got knocked down, but the town replaced it. It was just a cheap plastic box and plain wood post though. I'm shocked at the idea of expensive mandated mailboxes.
Some of the damage is probably because the snow is much heavier there due to the "melting" vs up here. Slush packs a pretty good punch getting tossed from a plow.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-08-2010 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Edited out off-topic comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary