U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 12,545 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I have been in search of a good Jewish deli in the Raleigh/Cary area? Does anyone have any suggestions?

 
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
 
997 posts, read 4,138,108 times
Reputation: 350
No Jewish Deli really. Most Jews seem to use New York Bagel in Raleigh in the Kroger shopping plaza on the corner of Falls and Strickland near the Bent Tree subdivision. There used to be Horwitz's in Cary in the MacGregor Plaza but it closed a few years back. Good luck. If you find one that I don't know about, please let me know.
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:17 PM
 
3,069 posts, read 4,945,719 times
Reputation: 5265
Default With all due respect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
No Jewish Deli really. Most Jews seem to use New York Bagel in Raleigh in the Kroger shopping plaza on the corner of Falls and Strickland near the Bent Tree subdivision. There used to be Horwitz's in Cary in the MacGregor Plaza but it closed a few years back. Good luck. If you find one that I don't know about, please let me know.
First of all, it would be a Kosher Deli, not Jewish.

Second, the comment "Most Jews" would beg for some verification. The Jewish community in the Triangle is large enough so as to not be easily identified or tracked. While not offensive, the comment reads in such a way to appear irresponsible.

Third, a bagel shop is not a Kosher Deli. For those in the know, meat and dairy can't share a common space and still allow the designation of "kosher". And you can't have a successful bagel store without selling the various cream cheese spreads that complete the culinary experience; Therefore, no deli type products allowed.
 
Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 PM
 
460 posts, read 2,182,430 times
Reputation: 182
I am from NJ and I understand what you are saying but just because you and I understand an ethnic group of people does not mean EVERYONE does.
NC is the bible belt shug, it will take time for them to speak deli, jewish and kosher. We are moving to their neck of the woods not the other way around.
You wonder why they get touchy about us yankees, there is your answer.
HELLO?
 
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 AM
 
3,069 posts, read 4,945,719 times
Reputation: 5265
Default System check.... testing 1 ..... 2 ....... 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
I am from NJ and I understand what you are saying but just because you and I understand an ethnic group of people does not mean EVERYONE does.
NC is the bible belt shug, it will take time for them to speak deli, jewish and kosher. We are moving to their neck of the woods not the other way around.
You wonder why they get touchy about us yankees, there is your answer.
HELLO?
Did you read something between my lines? There was absolutely no acrimony intended (nor in my humble opinion displayed).

And in the Year 2007 with a true blend of race, religion and ethnicity existing in Wake County I would expect that my original post would be viewed as informative not combative. I have found everyone to be extremely open minded and accepting in my time in Raleigh.

If I offended anyone else by providing clarification then please accept my apologies.
 
Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 AM
 
1,484 posts, read 3,679,890 times
Reputation: 731
Default synagogue

I would stop by a synagogue (which is alot easier to find) and ask people in there where you could buy what you need. Even the rabbi ! I have a close relative that is jewish and I also need to find one in wake county.

Also what is it with society with us getting so easily offended? It is almost like we try to look for ways to say someone offended us (us being anyone)
 
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
 
3,069 posts, read 4,945,719 times
Reputation: 5265
Default Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I would stop by a synagogue (which is alot easier to find) and ask people in there where you could buy what you need. Even the rabbi ! I have a close relative that is jewish and I also need to find one in wake county.

Also what is it with society with us getting so easily offended? It is almost like we try to look for ways to say someone offended us (us being anyone)
Great suggestion! And considering that most houses of worship make themselves available via the Internet it's quite likely you could simply email them with just such a question.

As for people being easily offended, I suspect it's the few representing themselves as the voice of the many. And in a written forum such as this I'm often amazed how in the absence of descriptive words someone is able to derive attitude or intent.
 
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
 
997 posts, read 4,138,108 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
First of all, it would be a Kosher Deli, not Jewish.

Second, the comment "Most Jews" would beg for some verification. The Jewish community in the Triangle is large enough so as to not be easily identified or tracked. While not offensive, the comment reads in such a way to appear irresponsible.

Third, a bagel shop is not a Kosher Deli. For those in the know, meat and dairy can't share a common space and still allow the designation of "kosher". And you can't have a successful bagel store without selling the various cream cheese spreads that complete the culinary experience; Therefore, no deli type products allowed.
Excuse me but I was just trying to be helpful and answer a question. I did find that reply offensive. All I was trying to state was that they didn't have what they were looking for here and was offering the alternative that most people seem to use instead. If I didn't KNOW what they were talking about, I wouldn't have replied to the thread. NY Bagel is the closest thing here that carries a mix of things and some deli products that you could find up North. Not everyone keeps Kosher and some don't mind that it comes from a place that mixes milk and meat. This is a great place to live and yes, not everyhthing is the same but we have to be accepting and enjoy the quality of life that the Triangle has to offer. I have.
 
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
 
Location: NC
1,264 posts, read 2,111,739 times
Reputation: 534
In answer to the original question, I looked up kosher deli cary and came up with this one... Can't recommend it as I've never been there, but it's the only one I saw listed with kosher in the description. Might be worth checking out.
Horwitz's Delicatessen
919-467-2007
107 Edinburgh South Dr
Cary, NC 27511


Rate It:


Cuisine(s): deli, kosher
Features: delivery

The Open View
Horwitz's Delicatessen is located in North Carolina. This Kosher restaurant is known for its deli. The menu is extensive. This restaurant features delivery and catering.
 
Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM
 
997 posts, read 4,138,108 times
Reputation: 350
Horwitz's closed a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top