U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,562,393 times

Advertisements

We'd had lots of discussions about how bad the economy is, but what about businesses that are doing OK? There must be some folks on here with small businesses or their own consulting firm that are doing alright? I've thought about starting a one person IT Consulting firm but don't know yet how well that would work right now. I'd like to hear from other folks in any industry about how things are going for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,694,945 times
I guess not doing bad is doing well now a days, so I will throw out Verizon Business in Cary, NC. Not exactly a small business though.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM

31,645 posts, read 55,374,605 times
The real deal for a business right now is to grab market share and survive.
If you can increase market share in a declining or unstable market, and service your new clientele well, when business turns, you likely will keep that market share and increase your volume organically.

I think there is still a lot of opportunity for people who can unburden themselves from templated thinking.

I also think there are some businesses doing well, and owners keeping their mouths shut, so as not to be thought of as gloating or being insensitive to people who are unemployed or closing their doors.
Cars are selling well.
They are selling so well that inventories are down, and Crossroads didn't even call me back, not once, after I went in a few weeks ago with a "Buyin'" look in my eyes.

IT?

I am struggling with making helpful changes to my webhosting, email hosting, computer and smartphone networking setups and knowledge, and looking for workable solutions within some personal criteria.
And, like a lot of small business people, I don't want to be my fulltime IT guy. I just want to use good efficient tools with a single credible source for most support and training, and have the tools and support function dependably. It is worth paying for, for service and competence.

And I am not alone.
We are in an extremely challenging technically evolving information world. Can you do broad IT at a retail, small business level?
People throw money away on stuff they won't use; fail to invest in good stuff they don't understand; and get ulcers worrying about it.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-05-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

5,358 posts, read 15,059,488 times
In my field, I see these companies popping up on the job boards quite often:

All of the utility meter companies are doing well now that the stimulus money is rolling in for smart grid technology. Try Sensus, Elster, and Itron.

RIM and Garmin are opening new Triangle engineering centers, although with only a few dozen employees to start.

Storage: NetApp and EMC are hiring like crazy.

Too bad all of these companies are wanting HIGHLY specialized engineers that are relatively rare to come by.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,876,380 times
all the bars and restaurants i go to seem to be doing fine. recession or not, i need to find things to do, and i'm not alone.

i am amazed by the number of new places opening during a recession tho.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,853,853 times
My accountant said, when I asked last year, that her clients who sold pizza were all having a GREAT year.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:09 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 232,131 times
You're thinking of starting a business...But now doesn't seem to be the right time?

It will never seem like the right time. When the economy is sailing along and unemployment is almost non-existent you can find a good job so why risk it. And in a recession, well, we know the problems then.

To me starting a business is like planting a tree. The best time was twenty years ago and the second best time is now.

I know it's a cliche, but have a bias for action. Make a plan then do your best to execute it.
It isn't that hard. Half the battle is just showing up.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 PM

239 posts, read 1,004,727 times
We've been quite blessed to have maintained a waiting list of work for three decades. I know that is not the case with many contractors and as a previous post states, we all need to be sensitive to this.

Since new construction has slowed in our area, we do receive 10 to 15 calls each week from folks who used to do "new construction" only; and now wish to enter the home improvement, remodeling, and repair market and are desperately seeking work.

Who knows what the new year will bring, how the economy, stock markets, investments, real estate, and retirement plans will be? We're just thankful that folks need roofs, siding, painting, rot repair, etc. and continue to contract with us for additions, decks, kitchen and bath updating, etc. It seems that more homeowners have been keeping and fixing up what they have instead of buying new or moving up to bigger homes.

Fortunately for us, most stuff wears out and requires repair and we are extremely thankful that our crews have been busy regardless of the season or economic conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary