Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,192 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in moving from the Baltimore/Washington area to Raleigh. I'm currently a Director for an IT organization in Baltimore and looking for a similar position in Raleigh (not too tied up with titles, just want to stay with a management level position in IT.) Any advice on a consulting/contractor firm that will be an advocate for someone out of state looking to move would be much appreciated. I seem to be hitting roadblocks at every turn when it comes to the job search. Anyone have a similar experience and would like to share how they made a similar move? Open to advice and suggestions.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:03 PM

93 posts, read 698,670 times
I dont know for sure but I'm guessing alot of people will have similar experience in your field.
That will definately make it a challenge to get a job lined up BEFORE you actually move.
In my experience employers typically dont like to consider candidates that arent local, they always fear that the move might fall through or dont want to wait. Usually when a company starts seriously looking to fill a position it is because they are desperate to fill it ASAP.

I got lucky because my little niche of the Engineering field is so specialized that it is extremely difficult for companies to find qualified candidates, so I flew out a few weeks ago and got a job waiting for me when I get there in a month.
If they could have filled the position locally they would have done so, rather than wait for me to get to town.

If you dont get lucky, and Raleigh is where you want to be, just take a leap!
I've done it several times and it can be nerve wracking, but it always works out.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Honestly I would avoid any negative feedback and assume you'll be able to get exactly what you want. The IT sector of the job market is fluid and you'll likely find salaries competitive with what you're familiar with. It's my industry and I'm more then passingly familiar with the Triangle market.

The one component I would recommend you avoid is in appearing tentative when presenting yourself to a potential employer. Tell them you're relocating due to a) spouse transfer b) you bought/inherited a house c) anything you can think of. They would likely select a candidate that's already down in the area if all else is equal. That's just plain common sense.

Check out dice.com if you haven't already. That's a favorite IT job board.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
Consider a position with the state. I landed a contract position the day before we moved out from CA (we were moving either way, jobs or no jobs). I too am in IT management. 3 months later I was put on permanant. The state pay is getting better in most IT areas because they were losing so many people. If you don't like it, you can always find something else once you get here.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,192 times
Thanks to all for the responses to my message. I appreciate the advice everyone offered up and I hope it helps with my job search.

Thanks again.

Hensled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary