Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM

584 posts, read 2,417,714 times

Advertisements

I tried to throw away my recycling bin in my main trash can and got a mean note from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
So there is a huge water shortage in Raleigh to the point that you can be fined $1000 for spraying a garden hose, but we have to rinse stuff out of a tin can so that it can be recycled? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. I can't believe that a little sauce in a tin can is going to cause a problem when they go to melt that can down to recycle it. I know in NY they tell us not to rinse anything out because its a waste of water, and we don't have a shortage of water. We scrape it out and then throw it in the recycle bin. Same with plastic containers. I wonder how many people in Raleigh use a gallon of water to rinse out each can they recycle?
Once you really start thinking about your water consumption, creativity kicks in. I use the water left over in my kids cups to rinse cans & such for recycling. But I never turn on the tap to rinse out recyclables.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,209,563 times
I don't think cans and bottles have to be clean to be recycled. I took a tour of a recycling place years ago and I was told-it did not matter. I don't think you have to use up water to make them acceptable-just put them in the bin.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 AM

39 posts, read 106,079 times
Today's n&o has an article on our recycling - apparently separation is done automatically at the plant now...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,325,138 times
Here is the question: With the extreme drought we are experiencing should we rinse our recycling bottles and cans out and waste water so that we have clean recyclables? I recycle all I can and wish we had a bottle law in this state but that is for another thread. I just can't see wasting water on a waste product. If we had enough water to flush our toilets like we should I would say yes rinse the recyclables but we don't so I will not be wasting water on my garbage. Sorry if that offends anyone but I think common sense is needed sometimes.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 AM

3,293 posts, read 8,530,042 times
I read the article in the N&O and it says NOT to recycle yogurt cups and microwavable plastic dishes? I've been recycling these items for a while now and they do have the recycle symbol printed on them. Am I supposed to stop recycling these items now? Also no pizza boxes? What gives with that?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM

38 posts, read 160,701 times
Honestly I think that if people are going to recycle, the smart thing to do is rinse out everything and flatten up everything. For me, that is common sense though.

Oh I have recycled pizza boxes, just make sure they are flattened and wiped off.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Sienna View Post
Honestly I think that if people are going to recycle, the smart thing to do is rinse out everything and flatten up everything. For me, that is common sense though.

Oh I have recycled pizza boxes, just make sure they are flattened and wiped off.
Why is it smart to waste one resource (water, which is in extreme short supply) to prepare another resource for recycling (can/bottle, which are not in short supply) when the recycling facility has said that its not necessary to do so? I don't really understand that one. I used to always rinse everything out before I put it in the recycle bin, and I also sorted everything. The recycling facility let the community know (in NY) that neither of these were necessary, and in fact a waste of water and time. So I haven't done so since. I think the "smart" thing is to find out EXACTLY what the local recycling facilities need done in Raleigh, and do that... no more, no less. If they are going to dump everything into one big sorting bin regardless of whether its sorted or not, then don't sort it. If their process burns off any contamination why they are processing the materials, then don't waste water over preparing them for recycling.

Sure it is nice to have clean recycling materials to throw in the bin, but if it isn't required then its not smart, its wasteful. The key is getting an exact list of what has to be done, and this thread seems to have many different opinions on it. Our local recylcing company in NY sent out a very precise list to every household on exactly what needed to be done, which is really very, very helpful... and smart.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,740,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Why is it smart to waste one resource (water, which is in extreme short supply) to prepare another resource for recycling (can/bottle, which are not in short supply) when the recycling facility has said that its not necessary to do so? I don't really understand that one. I used to always rinse everything out before I put it in the recycle bin, and I also sorted everything. The recycling facility let the community know (in NY) that neither of these were necessary, and in fact a waste of water and time. So I haven't done so since. I think the "smart" thing is to find out EXACTLY what the local recycling facilities need done in Raleigh, and do that... no more, no less. If they are going to dump everything into one big sorting bin regardless of whether its sorted or not, then don't sort it. If their process burns off any contamination why they are processing the materials, then don't waste water over preparing them for recycling.

Sure it is nice to have clean recycling materials to throw in the bin, but if it isn't required then its not smart, its wasteful. The key is getting an exact list of what has to be done, and this thread seems to have many different opinions on it. Our local recylcing company in NY sent out a very precise list to every household on exactly what needed to be done, which is really very, very helpful... and smart.
I haven't read the recycling rules carefully here. However, I refuse to wash recyclables when I know they are going to get recycled anyway. * I may rinse out something that is particularly dirty, only because it is being stored in my apartment, but by no means am I trying to get it clean.

Regarding yogurt containers and the like: Certain types of plastics are not readibly recyclable. There is a whole coding system to it, often written on the bottom. But I don't know what each number means.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,626,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I read the article in the N&O and it says NOT to recycle yogurt cups and microwavable plastic dishes? I've been recycling these items for a while now and they do have the recycle symbol printed on them. Am I supposed to stop recycling these items now? Also no pizza boxes? What gives with that?
I didn't have the time to read this entire thread to see if this has already been posted, but here is a link to the city's website stating what is acceptable for recycling: City of Raleigh | Acceptable Materials for Recycling (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Garbage_and_Recycling/Recycling/Cat-1C-20041130-143715-Preparation_of_Recycling.html - broken link). And some examples: City of Raleigh | Examples of Materials Accepted for Curbside Recycling (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Garbage_and_Recycling/Recycling/Cat-2CA-2006601-135101-ADDITIONAL_Materials_for.html - broken link)

Quote:
All plastic bottles and soft plastic beverage rings can be recycled in the City's programs. Plastic BOTTLES should be rinsed lightly. To help save space, please crush the bottles, before putting them in the recycling bin. Plastic bottles are the only plastic containers the City collects for recycling. A bottle is defined as having a "neck" that is narrower than its base and usually has a screw on type lid. Items such as plastic yogurt cups, margarine tubs, and food service trays, cannot be recycled through Raleigh's recycling programs. We also cannot accept plastic bottles that previously contained hazardous liquids such as oil, chemicals or pesticides. If the container has the poison symbol on it, please do not place it in the recycling bin.
I had also been throwing yogurt, butter, and sour cream containers in the recycling because the city I am from has always accepted these things. I was appalled to see that Raleigh doesn't have the capacity to recycle these types of plastics. I, for one, use far more of these types of plastic containers than drink bottles, etc. As the area grows, I really think it's time to think about broadening the city's recycling capabilities. Also, I'd much rather recycle all plastics and no paper/carboard if there had to be the tradeoff, since papers/cardboards biodegrade at a much faster rate than any plastic material.

Also, on the website it does say to "lightly rinse" and crush all items. I personally have been reusing rinse water from one item to the next - sure, it doesn't get things clean, but they are still lightly rinsed. Again, another great use for the water you collect from your shower while it is warming up. Great for regular dishes too, since I have to rinse mine before putting them in the dishwasher or they don't always get clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary