U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM

3,419 posts, read 6,101,658 times
Default Company for HDTV Antenna Installation?

I finally broke down and bought a "nice" flat screen TV this weekend but I don't yet have HD broadcast service (waiting on U-Verse or an HD Directivo to be released). I know I could get quite a few channels free by using an antenna but there's no way I'll be doing the install myself. Anyone have a recommendation for a local company that'd install an antenna (either in my attic or outside), maybe figure out how to connect it to the coax wiring I already have, and not charge me an arm and a leg?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 18,092,867 times
Have you tried just plugging your coax cable to the HD TV?

I have the cheapo cable ($12) and get ABC (11-1), CBS (5-1), NBC (17-1), FOX (50-1), and PBS (4-2) in HDTV that way. I know nothing about HD antenna, maybe you can get even more stations in HD that way, but you might want to experiment with the coax cable first to see what you get.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

3,419 posts, read 6,101,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Have you tried just plugging your coax cable to the HD TV?

I have the cheapo cable ($12) and get ABC (11-1), CBS (5-1), NBC (17-1), FOX (50-1), and PBS (4-2) in HDTV that way. I know nothing about HD antenna, maybe you can get even more stations in HD that way, but you might want to experiment with the coax cable first to see what you get.
I don't have TWC - just standard (non-HD) Directv.. so I definitely need an antenna of some sort.

Thanks though! :-)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM

322 posts, read 495,190 times
Have you tried rabbit ears yet? That's what I use on my small HDTV in the bedroom. I would do that before shelling out a bunch of moeny for a big antenna.

I did buy an antenna for my mother's big HDTV that works good for her. Here's the link to it:

Amazon.com: Winegard SS-3000 Amplified Indoor UHF/VHF Antenna: Electronics

Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM

210 posts, read 374,066 times
Since you have an attic I would really recommend DIY. Go to antennaweb.org and figure out what you need and put it in your attic. I put mine on a 1in diameter pole in my attic and have no reception problems out in WF (Franklin Co). Temporarily just run a coax out the window (waiting on pay service) or drill a hole in the siding and caulk around.

Remember, UHF for HD, not the old VHF you are used to. (Antenna looks like an alligator mouth rather than a boomerang/flock of birds shape.)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM

2,595 posts, read 3,650,344 times
I too am curious if anyone has a name of someone who can do such an install. For the record, I did try connecting a new UHF antenna to my TV and I don't receive strong enough signals to bring in a clear picture, and I am surrounded by a lot of trees, so I'll need a bigger/stronger antenna that is either mounted in the attic or on the roof.

I am not a DIYer who's going to start running cables from my attic or on the outside of the house, which is why I'd like to get a name of someone who can/will/does those types of installs.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,385,885 times
We've had good luck with an amplified antenna. We are in a hilly part of town, surrounded by 50'+ trees. I tried and returned 3 different ones before settling on the Terk.

Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM

2,595 posts, read 3,650,344 times
I've done a bunch of research and here is the equipment that is most recommended for either an attic or outside installation, and is strong enough to pick up 'deep fringe' channels:

Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna
Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp
Channel Master 9521a rotator (if you need to rotate the antenna to pick up more signals than in one direction)

If you also want to pick up the VHF channels (2 - 16), then a separate VHF antenna is needed and this is the one everyone raves about: Wade-Delhi VIP-306 VHF antenna

All can be ordered online (always my preference).

I'm working on finding a person who can do the professional install and encourage people to share names of installers here.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,205,469 times
My bro did it with the rabbit ears in like 20 minutes. I don't think it would be very hard to do.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 AM

210 posts, read 374,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
My bro did it with the rabbit ears in like 20 minutes. I don't think it would be very hard to do.
Just an FYI. Traditional rabbit ears are really only good for VHF channels.

Quote:

For example, indoor “rabbit ears” usually need to be augmented with an additional “wire loop” or “bowtie” antenna (see pictures below) in order to pick up signals on UHF channels.
Local channels are all (for the most part) UHF

ABC11 - VHF 11 (antenna in Garner)
NBC17 - UHF 17 (Garner)
CBS5 - UHF 48 (Garner)
FOX50 - UHF 49 (Garner)
PBS4 - UHF 25 (antenna in Chapel Hill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary