U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
 
156 posts, read 240,325 times
Reputation: 38
Sorry to horn in on this post but does the grim IT prospects apply to someone with top secret security clearance as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:05 AM
 
143 posts, read 224,729 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
Sorry to horn in on this post but does the grim IT prospects apply to someone with top secret security clearance as well?
Probably, there are EPA and Social Security who might be interested in you, but understand that there will probably be 3-4 people applying for "that job" who did exactly what the company is looking for here. The unique issue here is that the local companies (specifically) have been hit so hard with layoffs (resulting in so many people looking for work; in addition to many people trying to move here looking for work) and there are no "other huge businesses" (non-tech but which employ some tech people) here (as there are in most other large areas) to absorb the people laid off that local tech employers are getting literally hundreds of resumes for individual job postings. I have a small group in IT, and I can say with some experience that this is the ultimate "buyer's market" for tech employers, IF they are hiring, which very few are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
 
453 posts, read 508,976 times
Reputation: 335
I'm also in IT - desktop support and when I glance at spots the pay has gone down. Systems people seem to fair better but help desk and desktop....bleh. Let's just say if I loose my job now I don't know if I would even want to go back. Sadly the days back when I first started in 1996 there were more jobs than people to hire. Now as gotsomedata said, it really is a buyers market. With your experience it still won't hurt to look. But have something in place before making the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:56 AM
T|K
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
752 posts, read 1,140,592 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomove4sure View Post
Hi, T|K. In my 17+ years in IT, I've worked as an internal PC / LAN supervisor and specialist (4 years, supporting OS/2, Windows (WFW, NT), Novell NetWare, Macintosh OS, numerous applications, building servers and desktop systems, supporting laptops and printers, installing networks (data and voice) (distributing and punching down the cables, configuring user accounts, managing resources, managing backups, etc.), documenting policies and procedures, overseeing completion of support requests, purchasing hardware and software, and many other tasks); systems engineer and Exchange administrator (2 years, including travelling to numerous countries for instruction of users and migration of computers to new e-mail systems, analyzing e-mail usage for violations of corporate policies, supervising an e-mail migration team); systems builder and help desk supervisor and team member for a computer manufacturer (1.2 years, researching, testing, and proposing hardware configurations for new systems, documenting aspects of system configurations and builds, participating in quality control during assembly and failure diagnosis, supporting customers on-site and off-site (phone support), creating databases for tracking equipment failures and support incidences, contributing to OEM OS image creations), and independent IT consultant (10 years, providing support to organizations and individuals; building and supporting Windows servers and domains (2003, Exchange 2003); managing e-mail (off-site POP3 and internal Exchange 2003); configuring and maintaining backup systems; providing instruction; building networks (cabling and routing); setting up wireless access points and VPNs; configuring firewalls; supporting AS/400; repairing printers, laptop (components included) and desktop computers; researching, selecting and purchasing new computer systems; providing some web publishing and domain support; supporting numerous applications, including Intuit's QuickBooks, Blackbaud's The Financial Edge and The Raiser's Edge, Microsoft Office suites, ACT!, FileMaker; removing malware, and other tasks).
Around here the Jack of All Trades have a much harder time finding a job (especially through a staffing firm), a lot of people have a similar background to you in this area, as IT was booming years ago, and maybe people held similar roles to you, and those people are looking for work, as many of the smaller companies that would use somebody with your skills do not have the budget to hire somebody right now. There are jobs out there, but it maybe hard to get "in". I do IT recruiting here actually, you can DM if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your resume sounds a lot like my husband's, plus he's a PMP.

He was out of work for a solid year after losing his job in June 2008, got a job in June 2009, but that job fell thru within 6 months. He's been out of work now the last 3 months.

Just FYI - it's grim in NC right now. You many want to seriously consider Texas, they are doing a lot better than many other states.
I would assume he is a Project Manager if he has a PMP, that area has been hit hardest in my opinion. The PM's that are getting jobs have very specalized skills right now that clients are looking for such as Agile/Scrum or have been hands on developers and can do dual roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
Sorry to horn in on this post but does the grim IT prospects apply to someone with top secret security clearance as well?
If you are willing to go to Fayetteville, there are plenty of roles there, and the area is hiring a lot. We have placed a couple people with top secrets down there lately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I'm also in IT - desktop support and when I glance at spots the pay has gone down. Systems people seem to fair better but help desk and desktop....bleh. Let's just say if I loose my job now I don't know if I would even want to go back. Sadly the days back when I first started in 1996 there were more jobs than people to hire. Now as gotsomedata said, it really is a buyers market. With your experience it still won't hurt to look. But have something in place before making the move.
Rates have gone down a lot, like you said, it is a buyers market. So far this year it is getting better though for hiring for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
17 posts, read 15,331 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks, everyone, for the comments and suggestions. I have much to consider.

T|K, you wrote that small companies would be the ones to hire someone with my skills. Why do you exclude large companies? For the 6 years that I lived in Houston, I worked for large companies. They were the ones that needed my skills. It wasn't a problem. Are you speaking as a recruiter only? It may help me to know why you have this perspective.

Also, why would it be harder for recruiters to place someone with my skills? What are the ideal IT candidates for you? If I were to apply for a certain position, I would probably tailor my resume and such to emphasize my skills that relate to that position. I wouldn't have a problem focusing in one area, just as when I was an Exchange adminstrator I didn't work as a network administrator (there was another team that had this role). When I worked as a help desk supervisor, I didn't also work as an Exchange or network administrator. Just because someone has worked in many areas, does that mean that they can't work in just one area? You likely know much more about what employers are looking for than I do, so I'd appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
17 posts, read 15,331 times
Reputation: 10
(I don't think that this external link violates any terms as it is just to a USA Today article; if it does, I'm sure someone will point this out, and then I will need to review the terms carefully before posting again.)

In this USA Today 2010 job growth forecast, Texas stands alone ! Wow. It doesn't look great for NC and many other areas, and things look dismal for the poor state where I am (MS) (ignore the 2009 in the link):
How jobs growth forecast was done - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 8,485,893 times
Reputation: 18496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomove4sure View Post
(I don't think that this external link violates any terms as it is just to a USA Today article; if it does, I'm sure someone will point this out, and then I will need to review the terms carefully before posting again.)
Actually, the TOS say that, because of copyright issues, you should post links, rather than articles themselves.

So ya done good .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
17 posts, read 15,331 times
Reputation: 10
I'm in the clear! (now, that's a good feeling!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: North Carolina; former New York Stater
6,051 posts, read 8,044,311 times
Reputation: 4030
Let me add my personal knowledge in case it wasn't clear from multiple postings and the USA Today article: It's grim in the Triangle for people with backgrounds like yours.

Enjoy Fayetteville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:43 AM
T|K
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
752 posts, read 1,140,592 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomove4sure View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the comments and suggestions. I have much to consider.

T|K, you wrote that small companies would be the ones to hire someone with my skills. Why do you exclude large companies? For the 6 years that I lived in Houston, I worked for large companies. They were the ones that needed my skills. It wasn't a problem. Are you speaking as a recruiter only? It may help me to know why you have this perspective.

Also, why would it be harder for recruiters to place someone with my skills? What are the ideal IT candidates for you? If I were to apply for a certain position, I would probably tailor my resume and such to emphasize my skills that relate to that position. I wouldn't have a problem focusing in one area, just as when I was an Exchange adminstrator I didn't work as a network administrator (there was another team that had this role). When I worked as a help desk supervisor, I didn't also work as an Exchange or network administrator. Just because someone has worked in many areas, does that mean that they can't work in just one area? You likely know much more about what employers are looking for than I do, so I'd appreciate your input.
I say that as a "generalization" to your post. Reading your post it looks like you have been a little bit all over the place in the IT arena, but it is hard to judge without seeing a resume. I would have to see a resume to really be able to say what maybe out there based on your skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top