Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 27,931 times

Advertisements

Tryon Road (SR1009) between Lake Wheeler Road and US 70-401 is in desperate need of repair, widening and realignment to better serve the Southwest Raleigh community. This section of Tryon Road has become a major thoroughfare not only for the citizens of Raleigh but also for the adjoining communities of Garner and Cary.

In 1999 it was identified as "severely limited, especially at peak commuting times when there is an extensive wait for traffic entering" (Tim Clark, Senior Planner in a memo to the Wake County Planning Board (http://lnweb02.co.wake.nc.us/web/comfac.nsf/aac7d56ca8fd884b852563be00610639/db153df0d8196d878525680800595418%21OpenDocument - broken link)). The situation has been addressed in some areas between Raleigh and Cary but, unfortunately, has not connected to the much needed areas of Southwest Raleigh.

In 2007, with the creation of the Renaissance Park Community, Tryon Road was given a planned realignment to meet the needs of the new 1000 home master planned community. The need for expansion has risen significantly since the community started and a road that once saw moderate traffic is beginning to see heavy traffic and an increase in incidents, accidents and delays as a result.

In addition, Bridge 259, located on this narrow section of Tyron sits in the bend of the road and is a "functionally obsolete" (http://www.ncdot.org/projects/ncbridges/download/StatewideBridges.pdf - broken link) bridge that was never intended to serve the over 11,000 vehicles that cross it daily. The bridge was built in 1936 it is currently on the AAA of the Carolina's NC Substandard Bridges list (http://www.aaacarolinas.com/absolutenm/templates/releaseTemplate.asp?articleid=2028&zoneid=2 - broken link) (released January 7, 2010).

We believe that the widening of Tryon Road, addition of sidewalks, the realignment through Renaissance Park and the subsequent replacement of Bridge 259 will have an overwhelming positive impact on the traffic between the Raleigh, Garner and Cary communities. We also feel that this project will have a significant impact on the area's economy by making existing retail more readily accessible and by giving more areas the ability to support retail outlets.

What are your thoughts on this project?
Do you live in the area and travel this route?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Yup, I seldom use this part of Tryon because it is unsafe. It would be nice to see it redone before the outer beltway is built.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
I avoid the part east of Holly Springs RD since it's a construction disaster.

I think there is a good chance of it getting fixed before the outer beltway is completed since the final part isn't even funded yet.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,270 times
I use Tryon weekly from Garner to Cary, and that part of Tryon is definitely in need of some work. I'm glad that they've widened the part that leads to Cary, as it's dramatically increased traffic flow through the area. I grew up in Cary, traveled Tryon my entire life and have seen 4 wrecks in that curve. I'm surprised that bridge is still standing. It gets a lot of traffic.

There are plans to extend Tryon from where it stops on Garner Rd. to I40 past Jones Sausage, so widening that portion is probably on the "To Do" list, just not sure of the priority. http://www.ci.garner.nc.us/PLAN/N.GarnerFinal.pdf (Check out the map of pg 24)

Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
I used to live RIGHT off this section of Tryon Road in the Tryon Pines subdivision in Raleigh. That was from 2002-2005. It was horrible then; if nothing has changed I can't even imagine how much worse it must be now!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
The only thing really holding up this is that bridge you mentioned. The new section of Tryon that will extend into (http://www.renaissancepark.com/pdfs/RenParkSitePlan6.pdf - broken link) the Renaissance Park development has already been paved (old google map data though). It just dead ends on both sides at the existing Tryon.

That and the developer probably doesn't want a ton of traffic blasting through there until the development is mostly complete.

Get that bridge fixed and it'd be more of just a matter of connecting things together... in theory.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,766 times
One of the issues with revamping that section of road is a dispute between RGA (golf course) and the frat house on the opposite side of the road , as to who loses most land, apparently the wall of the frat house is 'historic' but would need to be moved , otherwise the widening would come up to (almost) the door of the golf club house. PLus the golf course wants a tunnel putting in where the course is bisected by tryon road (in two places - before the clubhouse and afterwards)
As another poster has remarked - the roadway in renaissance park is already in and ready for use but it may effect sales if 11,000 cars a day go through the development

Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM

steve54 -
The dispute between RGA and Delta Sigma Phi has been resolved per my understanding. The hold up is becoming a priority with CAMPO (Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization) and getting things moving on that end. I believe based on what I've read that even funding is earmarked it is just a matter of the public requesting it.

As for the Renaissance Park neighborhood - the developer is unavailable for comment but the residents are pushing strongly to have this happen. I am one of them.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcleod View Post
it is just a matter of the public requesting it.
Where can I show support for your proposal? You have it here on the forums, but beyond that I wouldn't know what to do. Do I have to go to some kind of meeting? Details man, details!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM

If you are interested please contact me via direct message for more information and a public petition. Please do not link the petition here because that is against the forum rules. You can also come to SWCAC meetings for current information and/or to give comment.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary