U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM

3,599 posts, read 3,862,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Wegmans will find their way further south, it's almost certain. I offer Trader Joe's as evidence that businesses will migrate in any direction in which the market takes them.

I watch with amusement as Dunkin Donuts continues its slow crawl into Raleigh as well. Eventually I expect that 7-11's will start popping up despite the fact that there isn't really a specific need for them. But people from the North, South and West pine for the days of Slurpee's and as I've already pointed out, demand sets the market and where's there's a market there's a business looking to exploit it.
You mustn't be a native or you are a young native Dunkin has been here for decades - I think they have the best coffee but, I am a KK donut fan And, 7-11 was here when I moved to Raleigh in'74. I think they might have changed over to Fast Fare? or maybe than was the one I frequented that was bought out by them(?). Anyhow, I know they were here back then.

PS - Sheets has slurpees

Last edited by RaleighLass; 02-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: added ps
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

642 posts, read 822,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Did you even read the rest of my post?
Yes I did. You listed ways to overcome the flaws of the poorly designed (IMHO) grocery store.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
DPK

1,023 posts, read 1,214,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Yes I did. You listed ways to overcome the flaws of the poorly designed (IMHO) grocery store.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,468,217 times
The H-T on Falls is much better and not that far.

Nicer customers and employees too.

North Hills is an overpriced overcrowded pile of junk.

Only thing I like there is the Regal Cinema 14.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,903,111 times
Most Harris Teeters in the DC area have been two stories for a while now. Urban people don't complain. It's part of living in the city. As Raleigh grows and urbanizes, it will be the norm. Get used to it, and stop acting so country.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,904,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Most Harris Teeters in the DC area have been two stories for a while now. Urban people don't complain. It's part of living in the city. As Raleigh grows and urbanizes, it will be the norm. Get used to it, and stop acting so country.
I agree..."Times are a changing" and some folks better take off those "blinders" and take a wider look. I admit that I was disappointed when the old mall here went down, but this new North Hills is started to grow on me. It's starting to remind me of the old downtown

Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,235,548 times
I recently went to Wegman's for the first time (Syracuse). I totally get it. We need Wegman's! I almost wish I'd never gone - I wouldn't know what I'm missing! They had an Indian section on the hot food bar! Also had a machine that made rice cakes and shot them out a few feet against a plastic barricade, which amused my nephew quite a bit.

I've been to stores in NYC that had the escalator for the grocery carts, it was kind of fun to use. I hope this Harris Teeter puts those in. Waiting for an elevator in a grocery store definitely wouldn't my my preference; I'd just go to another store.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,181,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post

I bet that HT put some more thought into the layout in DC. What items are upstairs? Is the store laid out to accomodate easy travel to those items in a way that allows people to flow? I bet those DC stores can be entered on street level by pedestrians without going into a deck.

What they have done here seems like they are doing a second floor to seem nice and urban, when everything else about the store is poorly thought out and overall it does not work. Does complaining about a stupid design make one country now?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,898,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I miss Wegmans, too. Shopping at Wegmans is fun. Shopping here is pure drudgery and quite often a pain in the x.

Whenever I visit friends who live in the land of Wegmans, it seems we end up there at least twice a day for one thing or another, and I never mind it.

I was hoping a brand new Harris Teeter might be fun, too, but I guess not.
There's a group on Facebook called "Bring Wegmans to North Carolina" as a campaign to try and get their attention. If any of you guys are on facebook please think about joining and telling you friends. We really need a Wegmans here!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,261 times
Smile Harris Teeter at North Hills - Park Downstairs/Start Shopping Upstairs

I agree with you. I have gone a few times (to take advantage of some sales and coupons only good at the North Hills location) and have found it best to park near the underground entrance, take your cart upstairs first (there are no cold items upstairs so no worries about things melting. They have some baking items, toiletries, medicine, and I think baby items upstairs....they have a map of the store at the entrance, I recommend picking one up) then go down to finish your shopping. That being said I cannot believe they did not utilize the same system Target has for getting the carts up and downstairs. The elevator only holds 3 carts (in a pinch) and that requires everyone being willing to squeeze in which they often are not willing to do. If they don't have any store specific sales I am interested in I won't go to that store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
First I want to say I'm a big Harris Teeter fan. Not the cheapest but if you shop sales and use coupons IMHO they are a great value.
That being said I went to the new 2 story Harris Teeter at North Hills this morning and wasn't impressed. A logistics nightmare. I parked out front and had to traverse a flight of stairs (down) just to get to the front door. Not sure how you would get a grocery cart back up to the car. I realize you wouldn't make that mistake but once which means you must park in the parking garage. I didn't do that so I can't comment on how that would go but I wouldn't be a fan of walking a cart up several floors or waiting for a elevator with a weeks worth of groceries. Speaking of elevators, if you are wheeling a cart around in the new store and want certain items you must take the (only saw one) elevator. On a busy day I can see my ice cream melting as I wait in line to get up or down. Maybe I'm missing something but I'll gladly stick with my old one story Harris Teeter any day. Just my 2 cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary