Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 PM

709 posts, read 934,611 times

Advertisements

out back the riparian zone has dried up and the snakes are getting active looking for water, so I basically trip over this guy with my beer spill beer on his head and what does this snake do? Looks at me and his tongue is wildly going after the beer. Nothing scared this critter.

Hose finally sent him back to the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
out back the riparian zone has dried up and the snakes are getting active looking for water, so I basically trip over this guy with my beer spill beer on his head and what does this snake do? Looks at me and his tongue is wildly going after the beer. Nothing scared this critter.

Hose finally sent him back to the woods.
We had one about that size at work last week. We are next to a park area for the business complex in RTP. The GM just took a broom handle and 'wrangled' the critter back into the bush at the back of the property.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:00 PM

95 posts, read 101,318 times
A few weeks back I read on city-data that there were no snakes in Raleigh, or at least that I would "never" see them. What happened?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
A few weeks back I read on city-data that there were no snakes in Raleigh. What happened?
I've never seen one at my home....which is in the woods. This is the first one I've seen in 4 years. My job is RTP which has large open areas still....and it isn't Raleigh. Also, the recent lack of rain is making them search a bit wider.

Also, no one said that there were 'no snakes'....just that they aren't popping out of every bush, basket or corner ready to devour unsuspecting newcomers.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM

95 posts, read 101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I've never seen one at my home....which is in the woods. This is the first one I've seen in 4 years. My job is RTP which has large open areas still....and it isn't Raleigh. Also, the recent lack of rain is making them search a bit wider.

Also, no one said that there were 'no snakes'....just that they aren't popping out of every bush, basket or corner ready to devour unsuspecting newcomers.
So you mean that living in Raleigh isn't like Snakes....ON A PLANE!?

Just kidding of course. I just thought that the 6' black snake story was funny in light of some folks' insistence that snakes in the Triangle were a rarity. There are plenty of snakes everywhere you go.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
I saw my first ever sign of a snake last week when I found a 9 inch long snakeskin between the brick and the framing for the garage door. Must have squeezed in there to get some assistance shedding that skin. No actual snake though.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
They are starting to come out into the open now from lack of rain. My daughter and I saw one in our neighborhood today as well. We know they're out there, but they rarely just hang out in yards. I think people's sprinklers might be bringing them out of the woods as well.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
I saw my first ever sign of a snake last week when I found a 9 inch long snakeskin between the brick and the framing for the garage door. Must have squeezed in there to get some assistance shedding that skin. No actual snake though.
When I read this I thought that snakes only shed their skins in the fall. But after reading
http://www.naturalsciences.org/funstuff/faqs/snake.html#shed (broken link)
I discovered they shed 3 or more times a year. Also, there is a FAQ on what to do if you find a skin in your "attic". YIKES! Garage is bad enough. It says if the skin is dry then the snake is probably not present. Never occured to me that the little booger might still be hanging about.

Good reading though.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
snakes shed all the time depending on how much they get to eat and how quickly they grow.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM

311 posts, read 887,645 times
we came across a young copperhead last night on our evening walk. it was just hanging out in the road - after the nice rain - and i came within 18 inches of it! i was shocked! we've only encountered black snakes in wake forest - this was my first copperhead in the area (saw plenty up in western nc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary