Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

371 posts, read 1,357,551 times

Advertisements

While we are mostly focusing outside of Wake County, there do seem to be some very lovely towns in Wake County that I hate to ignore. However, the redistricting issue concerns us ... does redistricting affect the whole county or are small towns like Holly Springs and Mebane immune-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,976,445 times
All of Wake County is effected. (Mebane is not in Wake County)

Holly Springs, and other rapidly growing towns, are particularly prone to this due to over crowding and the construction of new schools. No-one is immune, even many Heritage residents don't go to the Heritage schools.

However, new school board, stay tuned...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,712,014 times
HS just got re-districted this past year. HS Elementary sent many to the new Herbert-Akins school that opened this year. Definitely not immune, no one is...

Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,842,500 times
No one is immune in Wake County. We are in HS and were reassigned this yr.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM

997 posts, read 4,631,711 times
Where is your job or reason to move the the area. The distance from Mebane to Holly Springs is quite considerable. About an hour or more I would say roughly. Mebane is North of Chapel Hill and Durham. Holly Springs is South of Apex and Southwest of Raleigh.

Also Holly Springs is in Wake County making it part of Wake County schools. While some areas within Wake experience more redistricting than others no one can be blind to the fact that it cannot happen. Holly Springs is in an area of growth right now. Wake constitues Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Knightdale, Wendell, Wake Forest, Zebulon and Rolesville thus making them all part of the same school system. I think I got them all.

I don't know anything about Wendell schools.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 1,357,551 times
Quote:
Where is your job or reason to move the the area
We both work from home and our jobs are totally portable. We're moving for greener pastures.

Thanks for the info. I was totally confused about Mebane LOL!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
We both work from home and our jobs are totally portable. We're moving for greener pastures.

Thanks for the info. I was totally confused about Mebane LOL!
A friend of mine has a child in Yoder Elementary (in Mebane) and loves it, and this Mom is very intellectual and could afford to put her kid in private school if she "had" to.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM

128 posts, read 433,893 times
Ok, I"m really confused about the school thing here in NC...never heard of anything like it...you mean 1 year your kid can go to one school and the next year out of the blue they just change her to a different location??? You have no say? Anyone know of where i can read about this b/c I"m really really confused. (i also grew up in a small town in Indiana where we had 1 elementary for the entire town and, the middle and highschool was for our town and the next small town kids as well, so this is ALL so new to me!)

Old 03-15-2010, 02:32 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,836,379 times
Yes, they can get changed because of the growth our county is experiencing - 100 people each day move here!
If you could live anywhere in NC, why not choose the beach or mtns? Why Wake County - what's the draw? Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to live but the school situation is unnerving at the moment.
OK, if you really want to know about our schools - got www.wraltv.com, search wake county schools. Then go to www.wcpss.net and read the newcomer info. Your school assigned is based on your address - it dictates which node (area) you are in. The same subdivision if large enough, can be split up so you must have an address to search for the school.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,419,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk11 View Post
Ok, I"m really confused about the school thing here in NC...never heard of anything like it...you mean 1 year your kid can go to one school and the next year out of the blue they just change her to a different location??? You have no say? Anyone know of where i can read about this b/c I"m really really confused. (i also grew up in a small town in Indiana where we had 1 elementary for the entire town and, the middle and highschool was for our town and the next small town kids as well, so this is ALL so new to me!)
You are talking about schools in Wake County. There are over 100 other school districts in NC where this does not commonly occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary