Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,992 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am looking to move and interested in houses that are in the 300-340k$ range with 4 bed and 2.5 bath. I saw a couple in Savannah in morrisville which i liked - one even listed below 300k. I love the third floor as I have a projector which would fit very nicely in it!

Any feedback on folks living out there regarding families with kids? Is it deserted during halloween or are there kids all around? I stay at home, and would like to know if there is a "mommy group" or something that will help me meet my new neighbours. thanks for taking the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
We rented a house in Savannah while house hunting. We loved living there. The detached garages have a nostalgic look. Lots of kids and very convenient to everything. Can walk to many shops. Great neighbors who have remained our friends. Very quiet at night. We had lots of trick-or-treaters. And most neighbors go "all out" decorating for the holidays.

We were seriously considering buying across the street in Phase III (new construction), but had heard very bad things about the warranty process with DR Horton. Didn't want the bother....so we bought elsewhere.

Nonetheless, we were happy there and loved the open layouts of the house. I would highly recommend the neighborhood!

P.S. Even though Savannah is technically in the RDU flight path, we were not bothered at all by the planes. Hardly noticed them.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM

28 posts, read 73,555 times
There is a post in the forums about the warranty service.

Any Feedback on D.R.Horton (the builder)?

Looks like the warranty service is brutal, but otherwise they seem ok. They use real wood for their windows and flooring, compared to breckenridge (pulte).

I know a couple who live in savannah, and I did hear a mention about a mailing list for mommies (not sure if it is still active).

Some people like the detached garage, and some like me don't. On the flip side, the garage is bigger than ours, and has a lot of storage above it accessible by a pull down ladder.

Also, the lots are pretty small ~.15 acr.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafel77 View Post
Some people like the detached garage, and some like me don't. On the flip side, the garage is bigger than ours, and has a lot of storage above it accessible by a pull down ladder.
Yeah...having a detached garage did stink on occasion....like rainstorms, but overall we liked that having a detached garage allowed for more windows and LOTS of light. The tradeoff of having lots of beautiful light was worth the occasional inconvenience of having to go outside to retrieve something from the garage. My wife really liked that all the "garage smells" were totally separate from the house.

Falafel77 is so spot on about the size of the garage. We had enough room to easily park two cars plus junk. The garages also have TONS of storage space in the attic. I SOOOOOO miss having all that extra space!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
We live there and love it!!! We're in Phase III and have almost 1/4 acre (we're on a pie-shaped lot on a cul-de-sac backing up to woods). We have kids and I know there are tons of kids on both sides of the neighborhood of all ages. Halloween is a ton of fun--neighbors seem to go out in packs. On our side, we have 3-4 other families we socialize with 3-4 times/month. I think there's a mom's group that meets on Fridays with strollers and walks up to Dunkin Donuts; my kids are school aged though so I've sort of "aged out" of that crew.

The community has periodic parties at the pool, sort of potluck type of gatherings.

We LOVE the 3rd floor bonus area. We made sure to put the full bath up there--ours is huge (basically 2 rooms and a bath) and it makes for such a nice flexible space. For now it's guest room on one side and playroom on the other. LAter it could become a teen suite or media room.

One thing I really love is the location--you can walk up to the shops on M-C and Davis; and the new Morrisville Town Center plan is adjacent to Savannah and up Town Hall drive, both an easy stroll once completed. There are lots of parks around.

I think the small lots can be a problem for a lot of people. We happened to pick one that affords a lot of privacy. But we really did NOT want a lot of yard to care for.

DM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 PM

98 posts, read 131,771 times
Interesting homes, but lots of air traffic and mostly small lots. The detached garages mess up the usable yard space.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,992 times
Appreciate the feedback. I actually like the small lots- less maintenance. And I feel that the garage position gives you privacy in your lot.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
move2make, you're right. It really depends on your perspective. We don't really need a large lot b/c our kids spend so much time in the cul de sac and in the front yard/on sidewalks with other kids in the neighborhood. We're on a hill, though, so sledding in the back yard has been awesome!

We really couldn't be any happier here, and that's certainly partly b/c of our house and how flexible it is (we have a first floor master but actually put our room on the 2nd floor in a huge bedroom that has its own bath so we could be nearer to our young kids) and what a great lot we have. But it's also really about having great neighbors and a great location in morrisville itself.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I live in Savannah also. No doubt the lots are not huge and the garage is different, but we like it. As mentioned, the garage does screen some of the neighbors, so you really only see right into one backyard in the worst case, some barely at all where the lots are staggered. Also, they were careful in how they laid out the plans of the houses so there are no windows in certain places where you might be looking out into someone's bedroom. I never feel like I am being watched by someone.

The airport noise is not bad at all. If you look at the maps posted elsewhere here, you can see that we are just in the lowest noise contour. Not to say a plane never turns differntly and makes a little more noise, but the vast majority are on a path where you can see them but the noise is not a problem. ALso, they tend to land on this side more than take off, whcih helps. Plus, in all honesty, RDU is no Laguardia, so it is not like we have a mass of planes coming by at 3:00 AM or anything.

If you are worried about air noise, come out and listen between 4:30 and 5:30 in teh afternoon when it seems like the most planes come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary