U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 AM

8,267 posts, read 14,762,307 times
What we really need is the policy of "if you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em".

Of course, loss of employment and/or death of breadwinner should be a reason to provide assistance.

So many kids are coming from unstable homes, the quality of education must decline for all. Busing those with "three strikes" at home usually won't help the underprivileged and will degrade the educational experience for all.

As any sanitation worker will confirm, trucking garbage around won't make it smell good.

I am not a bigot in any way. Good people as well as trash come in all varieties. Lower income students with good family support should get preference in admission to magnet programs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 AM

276 posts, read 433,155 times
ASAP does not mean overnight. It means that it needs to be done as quickly as possible - in a correct manner that is beneficial to our children. If the present Superidentent is quitting in June how much time do we have anyway ? is 3 months enough to find a person for this challenging job ? - doesnt the new person coming in need transition ? Its not like Mr Burns is being removed from his job - he made the decision to quit for whatever reasons. Does that mean that we hire a new person after he has relenquished office in June ? just my 2 cents.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM

8,267 posts, read 14,762,307 times
We can start searching now with a start date after Dr. Burns leaves.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM

123 posts, read 391,772 times
I think it is a good thing. I am glad he resigned. Finally the school board is listening to us parents. I'm one of the people that are zoned for 4 different cities - Wendell, Knightdale, Wakeforest and Raleigh (between YR and traditional). It is crazy! We live in the city of Raleigh yet are zoned for overcrowded schools in other towns when there are other school - some at only 55% capacity that are within a couple to a few miles from our home! I am praying the school board comes to it's senses.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 3,551,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear75 View Post
I think it is a good thing. I am glad he resigned. Finally the school board is listening to us parents. I'm one of the people that are zoned for 4 different cities - Wendell, Knightdale, Wakeforest and Raleigh (between YR and traditional). It is crazy! We live in the city of Raleigh yet are zoned for overcrowded schools in other towns when there are other school - some at only 55% capacity that are within a couple to a few miles from our home! I am praying the school board comes to it's senses.
You must live near me, I am in Raleigh, our "choices' are Knightdale, Wake Forest and Raleigh. Our base MS is Carnage and unless your child is in the (AG)magnet track, I've heard they are not on the radar. I choose a Wake Forest school for this reason and the year-round track as a plus.

But don't think that we won't have issues just b/c Dr. Burns is leaving. Remember, it's the board that determines the assignment plans, as Tedesco has said, he (super.) is the CEO and is to carry out the duties they task him with.

My concern is that we will have a "Yes Man/Woman" next and if they don't have relatable experience, sufficient to be objective and willing to give feedback, then we will have even more of a mess. I am not aware of our board members having ever handled a project like this before, so they are figuring it out on our childrens' time. That concerns me. When their term is over, they can walk away - you and I can't - unless we move.

If you are a native then you know the full story. If not, please bear in mind that the current system evolved over yrs of steady growth and more recently it was continued and increased growth. It has certainly got room for improvement but with the growth we've had, I don't know there was a right way to do it. Time will tell.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM

111 posts, read 107,375 times
Picking and choosing who gets fed based upon income is discrimination. You can paint it with any color paint you choose. My two ideas, either to feed all or none is based upon the belief that we should not discriminate. As for paying for anything more than what the federal government subsidizes with local tax dollars, it is still our tax dollars whether they come from the federal state or local coffers.

Why do we give the students a choice of which school to go to? Is this a requirement or is this additional overhead? I never got a choice and turned ok .

Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM

8,117 posts, read 11,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86000 View Post
Picking and choosing who gets fed based upon income is discrimination. You can paint it with any color paint you choose. My two ideas, either to feed all or none is based upon the belief that we should not discriminate.
I assume you mean it should be unlawful discrimination, because by definition "picking and choosing" is discrimination. It's what the word means.

But I don't under the logic of your public policy choices. You are in favor of using tax dollars to feed children whose families do not need assistance? How much are you willing you have your taxes raised to pay for this? Do you believe the same should be true of other government benefits - they should be for all or none?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary