Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
draw cirles around the schools. Here are the boundaries. Done
THis is so oversimplified it is funny. If someone builds a new 200 house subdivision in a empty field in that circle, then that school is over crowded, while the school in a more established "circle" will become less and less crowded as their kids head off to college. So either you have overcrowded and undercrowded schools as the norm using such "circles" or you redraw the circles EVERY YEAR...not sure the "don't move my kids around so much" people will like that...oh, wait, they are the ones pushing this "draw circle" ideas.

It is not as simple as the new Board members like to think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Nor is it as complicated as the old Board made it. Hopefully there is a happy medium in which it's possible to achieve greater stability for families (less frequent re-assignments), some level of economic diversity, and greater emphasis for nearby schools.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This would be such fascinating drama if it didn't involve the well being of our children!
Agreed. And in terms of the big picture it's disturbing because it's just another break in the link of the American Education System. There are many folks w/ a lot of resources in this country who look to and fund elections to their benefit to dismantle the current public education model. Let's face it, schools are expensive. If you can get middle class folks to find other alternatives to educating their children that doesn't require tax dollars or as many tax dollars then taxes are lower. But the problem with this is that WE ALL BENEFIT FROM PUBLIC SCHOOLS even IF you don't have children or school aged children.

The WCPSS drama DOES effect each and everyone of us in The Triangle. And to a degree it effects the either country! I wonder if some of the newly elected school board members in WCPSS are truly aware of how they are just pawns in a national movement to eliminate schools & school taxes as we know them today. And if they know, how do they sleep at night or look their own children in the eye?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I wonder if some of the newly elected school board members in WCPSS are truly aware of how they are just pawns in a national movement to eliminate schools & school taxes as we know them today. And if they know, how do they sleep at night or look their own children in the eye?
PDX - I think that's a bit of an insult to many good people who yearned for change in the WCPSS for very legitimate reasons having nothing to do with a movement to eliminate public schools & school taxes. One reason I no longer live in Wake County is the school situation and the impact it had on my family. While I can't say I'm a fan of everything this new Board wants to do, I certainly was not a fan of what the old Board was doing.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM

280 posts, read 740,950 times
Isnt it unfair to blame the new board members for Mr Burns leaving? They got themselves elected on a certain agenda. Did Burns think that they would change their tune once they got on the board ?
That said, I fully agree with Mr Burns' reasons on why he is quitting - one cannot do a good job if one is radically opposed to the policies that one must implement. He has already said how he feels about the policies so what good will it do to him or the school system if he stays till June ?
IMO in such high ranking positions they will have a succession plan(I think that is what it is called) to handle such emergencies. IMHO we have to get a new Super in June anyway might as well do it asap. Its sad that this whole thing has turned into a power struggle between two groups - one trying to up the other.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Other than the children being affected by the looming changes, I wonder how it will impact certain neighborhoods as to property values if they school suddenly become school of majority free and reduced lunch pupils?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
THis is so oversimplified it is funny. If someone builds a new 200 house subdivision in a empty field in that circle, then that school is over crowded, while the school in a more established "circle" will become less and less crowded as their kids head off to college. So either you have overcrowded and undercrowded schools as the norm using such "circles" or you redraw the circles EVERY YEAR...not sure the "don't move my kids around so much" people will like that...oh, wait, they are the ones pushing this "draw circle" ideas.

This is becoming tragic and if this is what booting the old guard out is going to look like down the road, yikes! Now exactly who is politically supporting this new wave of thinking? Do they really still want to be identified with it?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
PDX - I think that's a bit of an insult to many good people who yearned for change in the WCPSS for very legitimate reasons having nothing to do with a movement to eliminate public schools & school taxes. One reason I no longer live in Wake County is the school situation and the impact it had on my family. While I can't say I'm a fan of everything this new Board wants to do, I certainly was not a fan of what the old Board was doing.
You are both right but talking about two parallel concepts. The vast majority of parents who voted for the new board were doing so with legitimate reasons and disagreements with the then policy. Agree or disagree with them they were doing so for legitimate concerns that they thought would improve education for their children. However there are also those who want to lower taxes for education and do away with public education as it is known in many areas and make it resemble public education as it is known in other areas. Weak and very limited support for public education and private schools for anyone of means. There is reason to believe that they were and our trying to capture the legitimate parental support for change and use it obtain their goals of limited government and limited public education. They may find themselves on the same side right now, not because of philosophy but because of circumstance. They quite possibly will find themselves on opposite sides of future issues. Remember you didn't need to be a parent to vote in the election but you did need to be a parent to participate in the survey. Thus conflicting results were possible.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Nor is it as complicated as the old Board made it. Hopefully there is a happy medium in which it's possible to achieve greater stability for families (less frequent re-assignments), some level of economic diversity, and greater emphasis for nearby schools.
A lot of things are possible if folks aren't polarized. However that is the new American norm. There are those who thrive in the creation of polarization. Just watch the talking heads on tv.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
PDX - I think that's a bit of an insult to many good people who yearned for change in the WCPSS for very legitimate reasons having nothing to do with a movement to eliminate public schools & school taxes.
"Legitimate reasons" (regardless of what they are) is very subjective. Someone living in a 400K house in Cary who is tired of reassignments could have legitimate reasons to vote for the new board. While someone living in inner SE Raleigh in subsidized rental squeaking by on 2 jobs that pay minimum wage might have had "legitimate reasons" to vote against the new board.

But I don't think the majority of voters had any idea who was funding the campaigns and who on a national level was supporting and pay attention to the last school board election in Wake County. The MAJORITY of voters just look at how something will affect them and their families and rarely take the time (understandably because of time constraints) to really see who and what is behind the person at the microphone.

I think the media failed (as it often does) to cover a local school board election by researching it on a national level. The media use to be instrumental in these sort of issues (not just education), but it's a dying form with nothing on the horizon to replace it. So yeah, many voters are going to be duped into thinking their reasons are legitimate but in fact they are just pawns in a bigger picture too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary