U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the building code in Raleigh required houses to have felt/vapor barrier under the siding of a house in 1997?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,793,096 times
A vapor barrier under siding sounds like an invitation to a moisture problem. Perhaps you mean a house wrap?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 722,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooberDoober View Post
Does anyone know if the building code in Raleigh required houses to have felt/vapor barrier under the siding of a house in 1997?
Caveat = I am not a contractor, builder, housing inspector or other expert.

The code governing that period is the CABO code (The Council of American Building Officials) which has since been essentially renamed the International Residential Code (IRC) also published by the International Code Council. Most municipalities modify the IRC to meet their specific local requirements (often they weaken the code to make it easier for builders if they have significant political sway, which they seem to have around here) and I don't have ready access to the relevant amendments for NC over that time period.

However, you are referring to:

IRC Code R703.2 Weather-resistant sheathing paper.

The CABO Code used the identical reference number to apply to this topic (i.e. R703.2).

Here is the current language, but I'm almost positive that the CABO code contained something similar (the ASTM requirement is new).

Asphalt–saturated felt free from holes and breaks, weighing not less tha14 pounds per 100 square feet (0.683 kg/m2) and complying with ASTM D 226 or other approved weather–resistant material shall be applied over studs or sheathing of all exterior walls as required by Table R703.4. Such felt or material shall be applied horizontally, with the upper layer lapped over the lower layer not less than 2 inches (51 mm). Where joints occur, felt shall be lapped not less than 6 inches (152 mm).

Exception:

Such felt or material is permitted to be omitted in the following situations:

1. In detached accessory buildings.

2. Under panel siding with shiplap joints or battens.

3. Under exterior wall finish materials as permitted in Table R703.4.

4. Under paperbacked stucco lath

Go to any of Wake County's libraries and they should have a copy. Search for "North Carolina State Building Code" as a title search from the Wake County Library home page to see specific holdings. It appears that the Southeast Regional Library has a 1995 edition that should answer your question exactly.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM

56 posts, read 177,681 times
I guess an easier way to help is to find out what initiates your question…..Does your house not have house wrap?

I know many track builders in the area in the 90’s have used blackboard (it is like a black fiber board) which doesn't technically require any wrap...however it really isn’t a great product (IMO).

If your house has plywood or OSB behind the siding it probably should have a wrap (however, I am not 100% certain that was part of code).

Matter of fact, in many cities in NC the inspector doesn't have a framing inspection called in until the siding is already on the house in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary