Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 34,645 times

Advertisements

I live in Wake County. My Dad is passing along a handgun and a shotgun to me. I know that I need a permit to receive them but my question is more on his side. He is in Virginia, and to be honest I don't think he has a permit for the guns. He has had the handgun since the Korean War (he bought it while in the Navy) and the shotgun has been his for probably 50 years. Has anyone had a similar experience?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 AM

28 posts, read 94,386 times
330 S Salisbury St is the Public Safety Building in Raleigh. The Wake County Sheriff's Department is the local jurisdiction for gun permits. Fill out some paperwork and you can get a permit there. I wouldn't worry about the guns not being permitted in another state. As long as they're not stolen and they have serial numbers, you can register them here. A lot of people do not go out and get a handgun permit when guns are exchanged between relatives or person-to-person transactions but it is a misdemeanor if you're caught doing it. You won't need a permit for a shotgun or rifle. Check with Wake County Sheriff's Office if you want to report that you have a gun in your home. I think you're supposed to but it is my opinion that most people don't. Lastly, check with your local police department or the Sheriff's office and they'll give you free gun locks if you need them. http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/citiz...ol_permits.htm

Last edited by rc1199; 02-17-2010 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: initially posted wrong info

Old 02-17-2010, 05:30 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,590 times
If you search this forum, you'll find several posts already on this topic. Go down to the Wake County Sheriff's office and tell them you want a handgun permit. You don't need a permit for the shotgun. You'll have to wait a few weeks due to the background check and then pay $5 for a handgun permit. Give that permit to your dad. That's all you need to do.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,766 times
You only need permits for a handgun in this state and then , only when you purchase them, not if you just received them from a relative. In your case you do not need a permit for either the long gun or the handgun. This state does not register firearms either
Essentially you can just bring them back and keep them at home, safely - if you have children you will need to abide by the firearms storage rules
Here is the NC 2007 Firearms Laws
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I did do a search before posting but didn't see anything regarding my Dad's side of the equation seeing that he never had a permit for them. I've read through the NC Firearms Laws, great link. Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,032 times
Quote:
You only need permits for a handgun in this state and then , only when you purchase them, not if you just received them from a relative. In your case you do not need a permit for either the long gun or the handgun.
That is not correct. The NC statute says "purchase or receive" and it makes no exception for transfer from a relative. Also, page 4 of the document you linked says it also applies to handguns inherited due to the death of a relative.

"
§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."

Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
That is not correct. The NC statute says "purchase or receive" and it makes no exception for transfer from a relative. Also, page 4 of the document you linked says it also applies to handguns inherited due to the death of a relative.

"
§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."
Thanks - I stand corrected on the 'purchase' only aspect - I was misinformed. If he receives it whilst in Va I guess he will need to conform to Va's laws regarding acquisition, The NC permit has no real use in these circumstances , does it?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,032 times
It does say "purchase or receive, at any place within this State", so if the transfer took place in Va you are probably right.

Not sure, but I believe that in VA there is no permit or registration required for handgun purchase, only the federally required background check. Anyway, with a gun that old owned by his father for all that time I doubt there are any records of it. There would be no way to prove when or where he received it from his father so personally I wouldn't worry about getting a NC permit either.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. I think I'm just going to take the overly cautious route and give my Dad a permit when he gives me the handgun. I'm going down to apply for permits anyways for potential future purchases so I figure I might as well if I already have one in hand.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
Make sure you apply for 5 all at once, so you have them, in case you get bit by the bug like I was! I did the onsies-twosies route a few times and eventually wound up with 9 permits, but should have planned accordingly and saved all those trips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary