Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,713 times

Advertisements

I am hiring a young lady fresh out of college with her masters in business. She has only written one plan and had the assistance of three fellow students in doing so. She interviewed well but i have no idea what to pay her. She will be working from home and in our offices about 3 days a week. Any suggestions on how we should pay her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I hate when employers do this, but you could always ask for her salary requirements. This puts her on the spot for what she's expecting, and then you can decide if you are willing to pay that or if you need to negotiate her down some. Hopefully others can offer you an idea of a pay range if you don't want to do that.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I think that's an awful thing to do -- to ask the applicant how much she wants. If it's too high, she will miss out on the opportunity, and if it's too low, you can take advantage of her. Continue to research what you'll pay her and offer it to her. Then you can begin negotiating if needed.

Why don't you hire someone with more experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I hate when employers do this, but you could always ask for her salary requirements. This puts her on the spot for what she's expecting, and then you can decide if you are willing to pay that or if you need to negotiate her down some. Hopefully others can offer you an idea of a pay range if you don't want to do that.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Are you paying her for a scope of work or per hour? What are her specific duties? Write a business plan? Or also type your correspondence, answer phones, clerical/admin tasks, etc. I assume you are hiring her directly vs through a contract agency, right?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I am an experienced professional writer, and these things are expensive when done well and done right. I hope someone fresh out of school can do the job for you--and with a Business degree. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that but I have English degrees (3 of em) and have a bias toward that

Usually it's not an hourly project, and it can be broken up in phases: for example, she can submit an invoice at completion of research, one upon submitting a first draft, and one when the job is done. It is usually a 40-80 hour job, if that helps. $2-3k is not unreasonable but that's for someone with some experience. Many will charge more. If you want to pay her hourly and have her log her hours, you could offer her $15-20/hour perhaps.

In the end you should have a well-researched, accurately cited, thorough document that is professionally prepared, printed, and bound with relevant charts, graphs, and other information in full color where appropriate.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think that's an awful thing to do -- to ask the applicant how much she wants. If it's too high, she will miss out on the opportunity, and if it's too low, you can take advantage of her. Continue to research what you'll pay her and offer it to her. Then you can begin negotiating if needed.

Are you saying that a prospective employer shouldn't ask your salary requirements?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with asking how much she wants. That's how business works.

The hiring process is just a negotiation, simple as that. Generally, the first person to name a number loses. Why should a business pay more than the prospective employee wants?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM

I never, ever, am the first to say what I'm looking for. When the time is right, I am the first one to ask what the "range" is. The negotiation starts when they make the decision to hire me.

For a business, it's NOT a good practice to offer an employee "what he or she wants" -- without worrying about anything else.

Thinking, "Oh, she only wants $20 an hour, good!" isn't good if you have other employees with similar education and experience who are making more than that.

That sets you up, as an employer, in a situation where that employee may later sue you for gender/age/etc discrimination -- and she'll win. Or if that new person is getting more money than existing employees, the other employees can sue you.

Believe me, you don't want to have an employee who is even thinking about suing you. He or she has to do very little to start the process, and you have to spend a lot of time and resources ($$$$$) to address a lawsuit or potential lawsuit.

That's how business works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
There's nothing wrong with asking how much she wants. That's how business works.

The hiring process is just a negotiation, simple as that. Generally, the first person to name a number loses. Why should a business pay more than the prospective employee wants?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
I never, ever, am the first to say what I'm looking for. When the time is right, I am the first one to ask what the "range" is. The negotiation starts when they make the decision to hire me.

For a business, it's NOT a good practice to offer an employee "what he or she wants" -- without worrying about anything else.

Thinking, "Oh, she only wants $20 an hour, good!" isn't good if you have other employees with similar education and experience who are making more than that.

That sets you up, as an employer, in a situation where that employee may later sue you for gender/age/etc discrimination -- and she'll win. Or if that new person is getting more money than existing employees, the other employees can sue you.

Believe me, you don't want to have an employee who is even thinking about suing you. He or she has to do very little to start the process, and you have to spend a lot of time and resources ($$$$$) to address a lawsuit or potential lawsuit.

That's how business works.
Hiring someone to write a business plan should never involve an employment agreement in the first place.

You are right about the litigious nature of our society when it comes to the work place, which is why as a business owner I will do everything possible to avoid ever having to offer employment to anyone. Generally, I can satisfy my needs by using other companies - or freelancers located outside the United States.

At any rate, cost is obviously one of the first things I would consider when deciding to use anyone's services (which is essentially what employment is). I don't know a single business owner who does things differently. In this context, your comment "The negotiation starts when they make the decision to hire me" seems like wishful thinking...

Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Not involve an employment agreement?

Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Hiring someone to write a business plan should never involve an employment agreement in the first place.

You are right about the litigious nature of our society when it comes to the work place, which is why as a business owner I will do everything possible to avoid ever having to offer employment to anyone. Generally, I can satisfy my needs by using other companies - or freelancers located outside the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary