Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times

Advertisements

I will tell you this, I used to trap squirrels as a kid with my neighbor and move them out to the country.

We would trap close to 100 a season, they always come back. Good luck with the battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
2 words:

Shot Gun! lol Squirrel is good eating!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 PM

321 posts, read 880,036 times
Best bet is to simply close up any areas where they might be able to get into your house. Beyond that, trapping them is a losing battle. They will just keeping coming......

Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
Best bet is to simply close up any areas where they might be able to get into your house. Beyond that, trapping them is a losing battle. They will just keeping coming......
I am just imaging waves and waves of squirrels attacking.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Electrify the gutters.
I have met Bob a few times, great guy!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
We have a neighborhood hawk family. No problem squirrels ;-)
Wow! that's why I don't see squirrels in my neighborhood! I never thought about that! Between the hawk and coyotes we have, it's wonder anything under 30lbs makes it around here We have loads of very fat geese.

Here's a local co. Raleigh Animal Control, NC -

Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
One tip for those drafted into the Squirrel Wars: I had a long battle with them in my house. Trial and error and some suggestions from a professional let me to a combination of:

1) The havahart trap: peanut butter as bait, and make sure you road trip them far away both from you, and from any other houses so you don't export to your neighbors, squirrels who have learned how nice and warm attics are.

2) Sealing openings with Great Stuff expanding foam-in-a-can (Lowes or Home Depot), layered with thin layers of steel wool. The form fills any shaped openings you can identify and get close. and the steel wool is like dental floss (can't bite through it). Foam a layer, then stretch a layer of steel wool, then foam. Use disposable gloves and t-shirts/pants when working with the foam.
Home Depot also sells tubing the same size as the dispensing stray, and you can use it as a flexible extension to the can's tube to reach out long distances from where you can get to.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
Default Critter Control vs Trapper Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I wish I had saved the name/contact info for the company I used. I think it was Critter Control...but not sure. Either way, this company does what you need. Raccoon Removal, Squirrel Control, Bird Control, Bat Control

My experience from talking to both of these companies today. A CC person came to the house and performed the inspection; I only talked with TD by phone.

Both CC and TD had the same basic approach - lethal or "non-lethal" traps. (We had a squirrel die in the "non-lethal" trap when it was exposed to the elements all night so non-lethal may be less humane.)

Rates may change so I'll keep them relative & compare their rate structures. CC charges twice what TD charges to come out. If you give them the business, TD will wave the charge. Not so with CC. The person that came out wasn't sure if I'd need to pay the fee again if he had to come out a second time. I'll take that up with their office since that would kill the deal & TD would be the cheaper option at that point.

CC charges a per suirrel fee & TD is a flat rate. The break even between the two (including the inspection fee) is about two squirrels. TD charges twice what CC does to patch a hole, but if there are multiple holes, TD lowers the cost per hole until the cost between the two companies becomes the same. I don't know how many holes it would take to get to that point. If the hole is on the roof itself, the repair isn't guaranteed to not leak; I will need a roofer to fix it.

Related point: The inspection report itemized $1200 to $1800 of additional work that was recommended. Know what you're willing to sign for before they arrive.

In my case, I hear more than one squirrel up there, I just don't know how many will be there when the put the traps up. They both seem competent & capable but I'm leaning to TD at this point.

Hope this helps

Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Have you considered trapping them yourself using a havahart trap? Before we moved in, the people who owned our house did that repeatedly and released them at blue jay point. Our squirrel population was down for years as a result.

No wonder I can't get rid of hem! I live right down the road from Blue Jay Point! Been trying to get rid of squirrels around here for years with no success!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM

We have cats and dogs and the squirrels thrive, they can climb a tree like no ones business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary