Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times

Advertisements

I went to the cat show today. Kind of a strange experience but I did see some pretty felines. The vendor booths were awful; not many toys and what there was was wayyyyy overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:24 PM

379 posts, read 580,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I went to the cat show today. Kind of a strange experience but I did see some pretty felines. The vendor booths were awful; not many toys and what there was was wayyyyy overpriced.
fewer booths than expected, but well priced and fair. better selection of toys than you can find at the big box pet stores. my wife and I found some great additions to our spoiled cats and were surprised by the number of local artists/vendors that made homemade toys.

everyone was very nice, but we aren't big fans of the whole breeders/crazy cat person activities

Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Are these shows mainly to show off the breeds or are there rescue groups that go to these shows as well? I am considering adding one more kitty to our family, but then my dh thinks one more would qualify me as a "crazy cat lady".

I love my kitties...but I promise we do not have calendars, t-shirts, keychains and bumper stickers proclaiming that!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Most cat shows I've attended are for cat breeders. They advertise their catteries and show for ribbons and points like dog shows. But of course there are always some rescue kitties available-usually- or at least a table set up for information. Alot of people attend when they are researching a particular breed or need special not mass produced towers and toys and t shirts, etc. We bought a 6 foot carpet covered multi level tower about 15 years ago and it is just great.

It's fun to see all the breeds you never knew existed. kids love it and cat people are a breed unto themselves.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM

You know those little coil spring cat toys? My cat is nutz about them. They were selling them for $1/EACH at the fairgrounds cat show (ridiculous). I found a pkg of 10 (TEN) on ebay for $2.00 and $2 shipping.

Those cat feather wands: $5/ea. at the cat show. $1/ea online.

Cat trees at the show are $100 - $700. Online/ebay they range from $35 and up.

Catnip mouses: $2 - $5 ea. at the cat show. $5 for 15 mice online

Glad I didn't patronize any of the vendors there! For a fraction of what I would have spent I got exactly what my kitten needed and lots of it!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Are these shows mainly to show off the breeds or are there rescue groups that go to these shows as well? I am considering adding one more kitty to our family, but then my dh thinks one more would qualify me as a "crazy cat lady".

I love my kitties...but I promise we do not have calendars, t-shirts, keychains and bumper stickers proclaiming that!

I am a cat foster parent (lol) for Second Chance Pet Adoptions (Second Chance Pet Adoptions: Second Chance Pet Adoptions. Adopt a cat or dog at our shelter in Raleigh.) and YES, they frequently go to pet shows and enter the cats in the "house pet" category. It's loads of fun and one of my fosters won several ribbons and, even better, got adopted that day!

It's funny-I posted on facebook one day that I had six new foster kittens in the house and my brother posted "oh, a crazy cat lady starter kit!" in response. I guess the fact that I'm a foster, and not an owner, to the cats makes me think I can't possibly be a crazy cat lady.

If you're interested you can DM me about Second Chance. I'm very proud to be a part of the organization and love fostering; adopting from them is kind of like buying a house, just short of the credit check, but I know all my fosters have gone to great homes!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Just bought a 52 inch cat tree off overstock today for under $70. I wouldn't buy them from any pet store as they are way over priced.

And in keeping somewhat on topic, I love cat shows. I let my crazy cat lady freak flag fly once or twice a year and attend . Didn't make it this weekend, but I'll have to search the websites posted on here to see whan another one is.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 AM

I saw the Second Chance folks (and cats). This was the only station in which visitors could actually hold/cuddle some cats. The rest of the people were...well...not nearly as friendly.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 AM

207 posts, read 433,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I saw the Second Chance folks (and cats). This was the only station in which visitors could actually hold/cuddle some cats. The rest of the people were...well...not nearly as friendly.
I second the "not nearly as friendly" part. I am a cat person meaning that my family has always had several cats that we love very much. This was the first cat show I had been to in about 10 years. I took my 8 year old son and he enjoyed it but didn't understand why you can't touch/pet them all. We really enjoyed watching the judging that included rescues. This show was different from what I have experienced in the past as far as breeders answering questions and "advertising" for there breeding business. I realize that all people there are not breeders. Alot of the resting cages were not identified even with the breed information.

We tried to respect the owners space and only tried to look where there was no crowds and the cats were just resting but only 3 owners spoke to me. Just much different from shows I went to years ago.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
The reason breeders or owners don't let you hold or pet the cats is because they are so deadly afraid of viruses being passed to their expensive cats. That is why they spray and wipe down the showing tables after every cat is removed. I don't blame them for that but not to speak or answer questions is not good. After all, you might be a future buyer and you need to know about characteristic about the breeds.

We ended up not going because it was such a pretty weekend and we enjoyed being outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary