Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 66,340 times

Advertisements

What are some of the quieter coffee shops, locations to study in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham or even Cary both during the day and later at nighr? I'm a grad student at UNC and trying to get away from the somewhat noisy, UNC undergrad crowd. Internet access isn't an issue. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
my son is a phD candidate at UNC and he always studies in the library and he is always whispering when we talk on the phone. I don't think any serious studying can be had at any place where folks gather for socialization.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:46 PM

149 posts, read 431,481 times
Um, Davis library study rooms, Health Sciences library, the basement of Phillips, or any classroom in an open building after classes end for the day. There really is a ton on-campus if you just explore.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

305 posts, read 767,914 times
cafe driade going down the franklin st hill. they have great outdoor seating when the weather is nice.

have you tried Open Eye or Foster's? Not sure any of those are going to be as quiet as the library, but...

Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 66,340 times
thanks, i'll look into these. i didn't know davis had study rooms.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 PM

487 posts, read 890,858 times
Fellow UNC grad student here.

Davis is, I agree, not an ideal place to study. The architecture is just too depressing and the air conditioning too unreliable. But in Davis there are private study rooms, as well as more comfortable study lounges, which are usually empty.

Also, look into getting a library carrel. This is a super-quiet, locking 'office', where you can leave all your stuff and study in total silence. I use mine all the time.

Some other suggestions:
- try the other branches of UNC libraries. The Wilson library is only open in the daytime, but is great and quiet.

- in Carrboro, open eye coffee and looking glass cafe are of variable noise levels.

- try the perkins+bostock libraries at duke. much better and quieter than the UNC libraries.

chwboy

Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 PM

100 posts, read 295,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanrow View Post
What are some of the quieter coffee shops, locations to study in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham or even Cary both during the day and later at nighr? I'm a grad student at UNC and trying to get away from the somewhat noisy, UNC undergrad crowd. Internet access isn't an issue. Thanks.
The stacks in Wilson. Pretty quiet there.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,590 times
John Lindsay Morehead II Lounge on the ground floor of Graham Memorial. It's in the Undergrad Center of Excellence, and as a fellow grad study I would have been initially weary, but it's AWESOME. Quiet, two fireplaces, beautiful and comfy furniture, a small coffee shop open with limited hours (M-F, usually closes around 3-ish). People so there to study and everyone seems pretty respectful of being quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary