U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,423 times
Default I Need help finding a place to live with bad credit!!!!!!

My fiance and I are looking to find a 2bdrm apartment/house/trailer for rent between 500-600$/month in the apex/cary/raleigh area. Basically..we are looking to leave my parents house.

Unfortunately we have not had the best of luck seeing as we both have terrible credit. We are willing to pay a larger deposit or basically fulfill any reasonable requests from the landlord.

We've tried craigslist, we've spent hours among hours searching the internet but still no luck.

We'd hate to relocate back to our previous 'home' (in asheville, where we have seemed to find the best housing opportunities.) seeing as our jobs are here.

If anyone has ANY properties or ANY tips please feel free to reply!!

***We do have a very small, very well behaved 2 year old neutered cat who simply sleeps the day away, and most importantly an 8 month old daughter, so we need somewhere safe for our daughter, and of course someone who is pet friendly ***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 PM

3,195 posts, read 3,529,801 times
Can you stay with your parents a little longer while you improve your credit? Do you know what steps to take to improve your credit? That's where I'd start.

Keep looking, though, and you might find someone willing to take a risk - and a tenant with terrible credit is a big risk for the owner. Two adults with terrible credit? Even worse.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM

997 posts, read 2,909,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Can you stay with your parents a little longer while you improve your credit? Do you know what steps to take to improve your credit? That's where I'd start.

Keep looking, though, and you might find someone willing to take a risk - and a tenant with terrible credit is a big risk for the owner. Two adults with terrible credit? Even worse.
I agree. Every apartment is going to do a credit check. We had a problem with our son who wanted an apartment for the first time. His problem was he had no credit. It didn't help that he only had a part time job because he was still in school. We ended up co-signing for him.

Do you have anyone that can co-sign for you if the will even accept this since you say both of you have bad credit. This might be the only way.

Good luck. It still might be best to stay with your parents until your credit improves.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM

833 posts, read 1,036,998 times
Be prepared to explain to the landlord/apartment complex just WHY your credit is so bad. Youre going to have to sell them on how it was related to past hardships, stressing that you are beyond them now...be prepared to verify income, discuss tenure at your job, show bank statements if necessary, etc.

Your best bet is to go on craigslist and try to find someone subletting or a private condo/apt owner who makes the decision versus a formal office...that way you can try to sell them personally on why you are not really the risk you appear to be.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 16,678 times
I had the same problem moving from new York here.. my credit was shot from struggling just to pay the crazy rent much less all my other bills plus be a single newly divorced mom of 5.. however there are a few places that will rent to you just with a higher security deposit..usually equal to one months rent. I rented at Cary pines in Cary and they were willing to work with me. Try the not so high class ones like that. . Brentwood west also approved me.. they aren't the best but they were at least in safe neighborhoods and within my budget so I could have a place while I fixed my credit and get something better.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM

26 posts, read 120,573 times
You may have to settle with renting from a individual as oppose to trying to rent from a company owned apartment complex as the individual may be more inclined to rent to you without being as concerned about your credit rating as the apartment company would be. If you're lucky enough to find one who will rent to you, be prepared to come out of your pockets with 2-3 months advance rent because they feel that they're taking a risk on you and they have you between a rock and a hard place.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM

12 posts, read 22,197 times
I'm in the same boat and when I do move, which will be 3-4 years from now, I will be looking for a single detached home. I'm hoping to find a landlord with who will listen to the background of my story.
Coming from the mortgage industry disaster I have good reason and I own where I live now so that doesn't give me a reference.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,135,353 times
3-4 years is a long time to work on getting your credit back on track.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 PM

74 posts, read 130,157 times
I was in a similar situation after I ended up shutting down my business last year. Apt. complex's will look at your job stability, income, rental history and credit. I was able to rent from an apt complex - every complex I looked at approved me, I just had to make a sec. deposit equal to one month's rent. You'll be able to get your utilities too, just have to make a sec. deposit and pay on-time. I think my income, rental history and job stability helped. Don't be afraid, go for it. Just be prepared to pay.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,849 times
I understand about the credit part, but how is the job market in Carey North Carolina and also the crime level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary