Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 16,909 times

Advertisements

WOW! Such great replies. Thanks folks. I guess I'll reply to the all in this one post.

I didn't realize how large an acre really is. I now know I don't want more than 1/2 an acre. Preferably 1/4 acre.

I need to know more about how the average HOA operates. I was assuming its similar to the condo association we had when we owned a condo. That cost us a little under $200/mo. and hardly seemed worth it.

Is the school reassignment situation similar in both Wake and Durham counties?

As far as my cost expectations are concerned, I had found this listing and assumed I'd find more of the same in the county.

151 Pontiac Court, Wendell, NC, 27591 - MLS #1690319 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Apparently this property is not typical. The former NJ residents can attest that this property would cost $700k plus up here with property taxes of at least $12k per year.

Any home I've found in real estate searches of Wake County would cost about 2-3 times more in central/northern NJ. My $200k max price was based on the assumption that I would pay that much for a house that's listed at $225k.

What are the costs for some of these items? Gallon of milk, gallon of regular gas, 6 pack of Budweiser? Are cars registered with the state yearly? Costs? What could a person expect to pay for an average car insurance policy if they have no accident or ticket history? I pay $1,600/yr for 2 cars/drivers in NJ. Home owners insurance? I pay $1,000/yr for a crappy 2,000sf 4bed, 2 bath house on a 75x100 lot. Its currently appraised at $350,000.

How does the yearly personal property tax work?

I'm going to look into other surrounding counties. The year round school schedule is interesting. How does that work? Is each school day shorter? More days off? How does a child attending year round school from 1st to 12th grade differ from one attending a traditional Sept-Jun schedule? Having spent more time in school would the year round student be more educated? Would there be a chance of my children being on different schedules? They'd be 2-3 grades apart.

Are there specific towns/areas I should avoid because of the airplane noise?

Thanks again for the great replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
That link doesn't work but seeing that the property is in Wendell you should know that it is considered pretty "out there" for the Raleigh area; not close to a whole lot of amenities, not the best schools, and will likely have septic and well plumbing. Not terribly convenient to malls, hospitals (though Rex hospital might be within 30 minutes) or the airport. A newer 2000+ sq ft 3-4 bedroom house with .25-.5 acre lot close to amenities, with community sports/recreation activity and closer to hospitals, airport, etc with better schools are going to be in the true "suburbs" or Raleigh such as Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs (holly springs being the furthest removed of those); and will probably cost a minimum of $250k; with the market really opening up at the $300k price point.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks. Not sure why the link isn't working but it works if you cut/paste it.
I'll look into the towns you mention. Can't wait to take a trip down there to see the area. I have family in Elon I need to visit.

How does sceptic service work? Costs?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
HOA's don't cover as much in single family communities, so the monthly cost would likely be quite a bit less than your typical condo fee. For example, I pay $41/month where I live and that covers a swimming pool, tennis courts, community center, common area landscaping and walking trails. I think that's pretty reasonable.

It is hard to find large lots, especially with newer houses. Since the 90's the trend has definitely been to cram in as many houses as possible. Some people like smaller yards because they don't want to do maintenance, but I prefer to have a bit of privacy. I only have 2/10th of an acre now but I back to an easement and only have side neighbors. I also have a ton of trees, which adds to the feeling of privacy. Of course, trees are also usually lacking in new construction (my house was built in 1987).

Anyhow, good luck with your search!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM

That's seems VERY reasonable. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
I don't think well and septic are a disadvantage. You pay to have the septic cleaned out once in a while, but you don't have to pay for sewer. Your water bill is $0 every month, and the water doesn't smell like a swimming pool. The only disadvantage I know of with a septic tank is that you can't have a garbage disposal. I've learned to live without it.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The linked property is in Johnston County.
It is atypical for Wake County.

It has a Wendell mailing address, because it is served from the Wendell USPS, but shows Johnston County Schools.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That link doesn't work but seeing that the property is in Wendell you should know that it is considered pretty "out there" for the Raleigh area; not close to a whole lot of amenities, not the best schools, and will likely have septic and well plumbing. Not terribly convenient to malls, hospitals (though Rex hospital might be within 30 minutes) or the airport. A newer 2000+ sq ft 3-4 bedroom house with .25-.5 acre lot close to amenities, with community sports/recreation activity and closer to hospitals, airport, etc with better schools are going to be in the true "suburbs" or Raleigh such as Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs (holly springs being the furthest removed of those); and will probably cost a minimum of $250k; with the market really opening up at the $300k price point.
Actually, Wendell is a lot closer now that 64 bypass goes there. I live in Raleigh 1.5mi from I-440 and can be in Wendell in 10mins on the bypass. It is normally 15 -20 mins going thru Knightdale on hwy 64 east. A former colleague who lives there also confirmed her time from Wendell on the bypass to my cross street.

So, withing 10-15 mins from the Wendell bypass exit you can be at Wake Med hospital or Duke or Rex medical facility at I-540 in Knightdale. And there are lots of shops there, target, Best Buy, Office Max, TJ MAxx, Kohls, restaurants and loads of small businesses, car repairs, Walmart Lowes foods - ck them on line for prices as you'd asked about them. Another 7 mins gets you to Triangle town ctr mall.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Brian,

You should definitely come down and spend a few days exploring. I can see how everything blends together when looking online, but once you are here you can get a much better idea of what the different areas are and how some parts of Wake County and Durham County can be "really out there" and not very conveinent to stuff.

You may have to adjust your housign criteria to meet your budget. In the end, its tough to give suggestions when your looking three years out. As a NJ transplant myself, I caution you not to get too hung up in the "cost of living" aspect. Is it a factor? Sure, but if that is the only thing or main thing you like about the area I would think long and hard before uprooting your family. There are a ton of transplants here. Most are very happy and have carved out fruitful rewarding lives, but I do meet people who are unhappy and homesick and as it festers they seem to find fault with almost everything around them. The one common thread among those unhappy folks I have met is that they all put a huge emphasis on cost of living and failed to evaluate what this area has to offer and what moving here really meant for them and their family in the long run.

Good Luck with your search!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Brian,

You should definitely come down and spend a few days exploring. I can see how everything blends together when looking online, but once you are here you can get a much better idea of what the different areas are and how some parts of Wake County and Durham County can be "really out there" and not very conveinent to stuff.

You may have to adjust your housign criteria to meet your budget. In the end, its tough to give suggestions when your looking three years out. As a NJ transplant myself, I caution you not to get too hung up in the "cost of living" aspect. Is it a factor? Sure, but if that is the only thing or main thing you like about the area I would think long and hard before uprooting your family. There are a ton of transplants here. Most are very happy and have carved out fruitful rewarding lives, but I do meet people who are unhappy and homesick and as it festers they seem to find fault with almost everything around them. The one common thread among those unhappy folks I have met is that they all put a huge emphasis on cost of living and failed to evaluate what this area has to offer and what moving here really meant for them and their family in the long run.

Good Luck with your search!

You said it perfectly! We moved here for many reasons and I think as North Raleigh Guy mentioned with being homesick....many don't fully grasp what it means when you move away. We knew going down there that for the most part we would not see family all that much. We may make a trip up once a year and other than parents...we don't get visits from other family members BUT we anticipated that happening anyway. It's only 8-10 hours via car but you are sorta out of sight out of mind. Granted that is just us and our families. We are close but so much that I would not leave the state just to be with them. Plus ( and this is just my own observation ) you will need to remember things are a little slower paced ( again to me ) which is part of why we moved. Sick of the rat race. It's a growing area but without the rudeness. Which many transplants may not take well to. Meaning they want the upfront approach and don't want to be called Ma'am or Sir etc...Not all but my own boss is one of them. She is very much the typical fast paced, rush rush.. tell ya like it is ( which I love as a manager but not socially..lol ) and she even said she did not care for the niceness..she felt as if you could not tell when people are being nice or just faking. Granted it's nice to know where you stand with someone but I still prefer a warm smile and a quick wave to say hello then people looking at you as if you have five heads for daring to be friendly. Just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary