U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 AM

149 posts, read 574,774 times
Being referredto as "ma'am"--hate it!
inner and outer belt line
not knowing if I am headed north/south/east or west
no dunkin donuts
slow pace when I am in a RUSH
narrow roads

Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
bta

282 posts, read 1,411,435 times
Gunfire

And after living just outside of DC you'd think we'd be used to it. But we hear far more gunfire here than we ever did in Northern VA. Come to think of it - we never heard gun fire there.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:16 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,539,252 times
Just a few gripes, although I agree with most everyone else so far.

1. Bad roads, especially around some nice neighborhoods and areas. The soft shoulders, uneven pavement, etc. I'm not even talking about potholes, since they happen everywhere. Just an overall lack in quality of the roads, including the grading (roads flood a lot).

2. Not many people use their turn signal, getting used to this, but I ALWAYS use mine. I was in the Coast Guard in the 90's down in the Morehead City area, so I've been used to it before. I realize that people everywhere don't use their turn signals sometimes, but in NC there is much lower percentage that due that I've seen so far. Is it that difficult?

3. Not much lighting on major roadways and interstates. I think it's a safety issue that needs to be addressed as this area grows.

4. Speed limits are too high in most places. 45 MPH speed limits on winding narrow roads close to neighborhoods. They should be 35 MPH. Also I-540 and I-440 should be 55 MPH, or at least no higher than 60. I realize people will speed anyway, but 65 is way too fast as a starting point. I know some areas of the beltline are 60.

That's about it. I love this place though, but with some minor changes I think it could be better. I'm not trying to change the culture, these are all just safety related issues.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 252,988 times
Default DONUTS..yes

LUVMYGUYS......know you are in Holly Springs, but if you need a dunkin' fix there 's one at Highhouse and NC 55 on the Kroger mall side of 55. It's sort of hidden, but it's there. BTW the people who work there are from all over the country and are super talkative and nice.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 AM

141 posts, read 495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Gunfire

And after living just outside of DC you'd think we'd be used to it. But we hear far more gunfire here than we ever did in Northern VA. Come to think of it - we never heard gun fire there.
Where do you hear gunfire?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
bta

282 posts, read 1,411,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
Where do you hear gunfire?
NW Cary - just walking around the neighborhoods. We're still in a developing area - so there's a lot of rural wooded areas around us. Target practice seems to be a pretty regular occurrence... at least I hope it's target practice

Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 AM

574 posts, read 764,156 times
*No WaWa

*It's freakin' hot here

*The whole weird eye contact with strangers thing that seems so popular here.

*Teachers that say "Cuss" and "Valentime's Day" and tell my kids that crap is a cuss word, but you can say crud. Crud?? This is the first place I've lived where you are actually taught how to sound uneducated.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 AM

478 posts, read 1,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post

*Teachers that say "Cuss" and "Valentime's Day" and tell my kids that crap is a cuss word, but you can say crud. Crud?? This is the first place I've lived where you are actually taught how to sound uneducated.
LOL! I heard on a kid's programme here, a character saying, 'well, 'fix' can mean you need to repair something, but 'I'm fixing' means you intend to do something!'

I cannot get used to:

So much poison ivy my kids are covered in rashes

SD pools that open at 4pm (what about people who want to swim/swim laps before 4pm?) and will close for the season in September.

Strangers (with southern accents) touching my kids a lot (and my kids don't like it)

'Ewe speek Inglish?' I've been asked that more than once and believe me, I look like I speak English.

Fox News blaring in too many restaurants, lobbies

Big homes (hell, any sized home!) on tiny lots. We sorely miss a proper back garden.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM

478 posts, read 1,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentonc View Post
LUVMYGUYS......know you are in Holly Springs, but if you need a dunkin' fix there 's one at Highhouse and NC 55 on the Kroger mall side of 55. It's sort of hidden, but it's there. BTW the people who work there are from all over the country and are super talkative and nice.
Is this the Drive Thru Dunkin' Donuts combined with Baskin-Robbins?

There's also a Dunkin' Donuts inside Crabtree Mall in Raleigh, fwiw.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,144,468 times
Oh--I totally agree with the inappropriately high speed limit thing. Why is Fayetteville Rd a 45MPH road at ANY point? Too high, IMO.

The slowness of cashiers really drives me crazy... especially at the grocery store. Checking out at the Harris Teeter is such an ORDEAL. And I don't think I've EVER had someone bad my groceries there either (and I have a TODDLER in tow). Ugh.

I mostly have an issue with the reaction to inclimate weather. Network television shows are INTERRUPTED so that they can show us satellite images of an oncoming thunderstorm?!?!?! You've got to be kidding me... and don't even get me started about the reaction to snow/ice. Schools close preemptively? That shocks me. Grocery stores run out of bottled water, bread and eggs? Crazy. Makes me miss home, where we'd get upwards of 6 inches in an afternoon and nobody batted an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary