U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 30,074 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a weight doctor/clinic in the area that will prescribe phentermine? I used to go to a place in PA that prescribed them but have not found a place in the Raleigh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM

611 posts, read 1,060,353 times
This may be a long shot, but Dr. Jennifer Schmidt of Schmidt & Catchings in Cary has just left that practice and told me that she would be doing weight loss programs, including one that utilizes an appetite suppressant. I'm guessing that is what phentermine is? I am sure if you called Schmidt & Catchings they could refer you to her new office and someone there could answer your question.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 AM

190 posts, read 599,129 times
There is an office (? Physician Assisted Weight Loss ?) across from Southpoint Mall (on Fayetteville) in Durham. I am told that they do prescribe those things, but can't really speak from experience. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Thank you! This does help!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 AM

3,641 posts, read 4,035,372 times
Dr George Bartels, he has a Cary office and a Chapel Hill one. Years ago he was a family physician in Garner, he's the sweetest man. Now he focuses completely on weight loss/management and has done so for many yrs.

He's a Duke and UNC grad.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 173,243 times
I go to Physician Assisted Weight Loss and I am pleased. They do prescribe phentermine if that is what you want.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Default weight Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinS View Post
I go to Physician Assisted Weight Loss and I am pleased. They do prescribe phentermine if that is what you want.
Kristin,
Is it just a walk in, get weighted, ck blood pressure, talk with the Dr. for a few minutes and he gives you appetite suppressents like phentermine and then your finished? You go back once a month to get weighted and get more if needed?
I used to go to a place like this in Philadelphia and well, need to get a jumpstart and have been having a hard time finding a place like this.
Thanks for responding!
Danielle

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,337,543 times
Keep in mind it's possible to lose weight without drugs or expensive programs. I finally figured it out and have lost 27 pounds since Christmas. Didn't cost me a thing. I've tried WW and other programs, and the first 10 pounds on any program is easy, and then it's not. Then you gain it all back and more. And some diet drugs can have devastating side effects.

My current "program" is one that I figured out for myself, and I was surprised to learn recently (from a magazine article) that it's not much different than what the "Biggest Loser" winner follows. Mine has fewer calories because exercise is not a big part of it.

I've run my diet by my doctor, and she is in full and enthusiastic agreement with it. I wish I figured it out sooner! I'm rarely hungry, too, unlike all the other plans.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 02-23-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM

38 posts, read 85,155 times
Most doctors will tell you, diet and exercise is the only sustainable weight loss strategy. If you rely on fad diets, especially those involving severe calorie restriction, or weight loss supplements/medications - the weight you lose will return and then some.
The whole key is lifestyle modification and willpower. People don't want to hear this however and so there is a large market. I am not going to say the weight loss medications are never appropriate, but they are overused in my opinion, especially considering the history and potential for severe side effects.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 AM

794 posts, read 1,627,270 times
Lifestyle management is the key to success. You have to change your attitude about eating and exercise. It really does not matter what you way, you need to take care of yourself and become healthy. In this context you want to reduce the strain on your system and especially your heart and joints. The big concern is type II diabetes. When this sets in you are at serious risk.
You don't make this kind of a change with pills. It is not so much how much you eat as what you eat. You have to get the sugar out of your head before you get the fat out of your butt.
I have gone from 210 to 185 working with a program called Transitions Life Style. You can look it up on the internet or PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary