Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM

189 posts, read 796,285 times

Advertisements

Prior to putting our home on the market we cleared out all the clutter, painted the whole house a neutral color and put in new neutral carpets. We also put in a new master bathroom. The house has only been on the market for a few weeks and we have had a lot of showings. The couple that came yesterday said it was "too plain". I thought you were supposed to remove everything so the buyers could visualize their things in the house? Now I don't know if I should go and buy things. Any suggestions? We were down in Clayton for several days over the long holiday weekend and found the house of our dreams and I want to sell this one quick.

Last edited by pad3; 05-31-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 PM

93 posts, read 698,023 times
Just relax, It will sell & this is the selling season.

You did the right thing.

If all else fails, drop the price.

Thats what we had to do and after we lowered the price $8K it sold in a week.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM

842 posts, read 3,225,781 times
I agree with Jethro. I wouldn't give much weight to one comment. If you see the same comment more than once, then you need to be concerned.

Just for an example, I just sold my home (in about 1 week) which was built in 2003. But one of the comments left was that it looked 'outdated'. Wha??? How'd it get outdated in 4 years?!?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM

850 posts, read 3,622,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
Any suggestions? We were down in Clayton for several days over the long holiday weekend and found the house of our dreams and I want to sell this one quick.
Hey congrats on finding your dream home!!! I agree with the others, don't do anything else. People will always find something to complain about. I've even heard of folks who love a house, criticize it to APPEAR disinterested so they could haggle more. A bit unscrupulous to me but whatever.

Anyhow, I'm sure your home will go. Here's hoping it all works out timewise for ya.
Lauren

Old 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,328,795 times
Some people just need to be led on a leash. They can't envision the walls a different color than they are, they can't envision furniture in an empty room. In other words completely left-brain. No worries. I am happy to hear you found your home that you want, and if you're getting a bunch of showings on your house now, it's only a matter of time. The right buyer will see it.
Good Luck, you soon-to-be Clayton-ee.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 PM

189 posts, read 796,285 times
Thanks for the encouragement. I know it is plain right now, but again that is the way it is supposed to be. I am tempted though to go out and buy some new window treatments and accessories to dress it up a bit. I know when we went house hunting I was able to visualize our family "living" there with our things. This is so much easier to do in a new house than a house on the market that is so cluttered with years of accumulation. We did look at some resales and I was very surprised in a negative way with the appearance of the homes. As far as the house of our dreams, they already have a contigent offer, so whoever goes to contract first wins.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:39 PM

53 posts, read 161,952 times
Post Sell the house fast

We just sold our house in So. Cal. with three back up offers, in a soft market.. Had the house priced right, we did the clutter clean, fresh paint on baseboards, did some curb color, hid the pets from view, ( cat box was in closet w/ food bowls) kept the house clean as a pin, left cookies or crakers and cheese in kitchen, and had the house smelling great. ( cooking something like a pie, or great candles ) Maybe all you need is a little staging. Work w/ a good agent, and wish you the best of luck. We are moving to Clayton in June. ( Glen Laurel )

Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,751 times
I don't care how soft a market is, in the end it's all about price. I've sold two houses to date and in both cases I settled for less then what I'd hoped for because my Realtor forced me to accept the market reality. Nicer houses then mine one block over still sit unsold because they're too high.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 PM

139 posts, read 550,000 times
pad3 there is this really great website called garden web. They have a homesite forum called "buying and selling a home". There people will give you hints, suggestions etc on your home and situation. Not always nice, but their honest opinions (Not suggesting your house is not wonderful, just letting you know there are those who are good at staging things!). You might want to check them out. Love it that you want to come to Clayton! Good luck!

Buying and Selling Homes Forum - GardenWeb

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,648 times
Smile keep the faith...it will sell!

your home will sell...from what you have posted, you have been proactive so far...good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
Prior to putting our home on the market we cleared out all the clutter, painted the whole house a neutral color and put in new neutral carpets. We also put in a new master bathroom. The house has only been on the market for a few weeks and we have had a lot of showings. The couple that came yesterday said it was "too plain". I thought you were supposed to remove everything so the buyers could visualize their things in the house? Now I don't know if I should go and buy things. Any suggestions? We were down in Clayton for several days over the long holiday weekend and found the house of our dreams and I want to sell this one quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary