Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,341,798 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Yeah, I don't remember that either. I've been here since January 2006, and this winter is the first time I remember seeing much snow (except for MLK weekend last year).
You came after the RDU megasnowfalls of the early part of the decade. You missed the Snowmegeddon of 2000.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,581,892 times
The weekend looks great, thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,581,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
You came after the RDU megasnowfalls of the early part of the decade. You missed the Snowmegeddon of 2000.
Yes, yes I know.. Raleigh gets TONS and TONS of snow. I was responding to the "snow on Easter 2007" comment. From what someone else posted it was a "dusting" at RDU - it probably melted before I woke up!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Yes, yes I know.. Raleigh gets TONS and TONS of snow. I was responding to the "snow on Easter 2007" comment. From what someone else posted it was a "dusting" at RDU - it probably melted before I woke up!
Of course. It was April.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM

476 posts, read 1,671,356 times
To quote Francois "It has snowed several times in Raleigh in April, though not LATE April and not much accumulation to speak of."

You are right that it was not a large accumualtion of snow, but I do remember we could not have our early morning easter egg hunt (April 8, 2007) for the snow on the ground. It was cold that month though - with hard freezes as late as 4/21.

I found some cool sites while trying to figure out which year it was... Snow is referred to under the blanket of precipitation. This one gives a report on recorded unusual weather events in our area: Past Events -NWS Raleigh, NC

This is from the report April 6-10 from that page:
"Due to the unseasonable warmth preceeding Easter weekend, many crops began germinating early. The unseasonable cold period during Easter weekend damaged many crops in the region. The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services estimates crop losses at $112 million in North Carolina."

And the monthly summaries are available if anyone is interested in that kind of thing! http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/ncsummar...y.Apr.2007.doc

"April 2007 brought damaging freezes, strong winds, and few showers.

April 2007 will be most remembered for the hard freezes that affected inland areas of North Carolina during the second week of the month. This was followed by a strong wind event on April 16. The combination of hard freezes and strong winds brought significant damage throughout the state, especially to the agricultural community.

There were large week to week temperature swings during April, which were often accompanied by windy conditions. The largest swings in temperatures came during the first two weeks of the month, when temperatures soared into the 80s April 2-4, followed by hard freezes April 6-10. Another week of cool weather followed the freezes during the April 16-21 period."

Personally, I am not a fan of cold weather so am hoping we get and keep an early Spring! Though we don't need any more late freezes causing crop damage - WOW $112 million in damages, and I complained about my flat of pansies?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM

2007 will be remembered as the year without produce because of devastating late spring freezes.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Accuweather's Joe Lundberg now says:

And lest you think winter is over after that, think again. The southern branch of the jet stream remains very active, and there will be another southern storm late in the week into the start of the weekend that may bring snow across the Deep South. After that, another storm will come out of the Southwest, one with heavy rain and mountain snow over California into Nevada then the central and southern Rockies. This storm will have more room to work with early next week, and with the monster storm over the Northeast weaker and farther away, the storm could spread yet more snow across the South but also into the East.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM

335 posts, read 797,118 times
And now, the only forecast that matters: My snow nose!

for this week the snow nose says: meh, don't even bother going to the store for supplies.
for next week my snow nose says: Last chance for making snow angels!
I need to step outside and really breathe the air to confirm next week. It's the most accurate about four days out for some reason.

And no, I have no idea how it works, it's just been that way all my life.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM

A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued by the National Weather Service as more winter weather is headed to our region.

The advisory is in effect from 6 a.m. Wednesday to midnight Wednesday night for accumulating snowfall likely across the central part of the state.

According to the NWS, precipitation will begin as rain or maybe a mixture of rain and snow Wednesday morning and then switch to all snow.

NBC17 Chief Meteorologist Wes Hohenstein says snow is expected to accumulate up to two inches, mainly on grassy areas.

"While the snow accumulation will not be significant, the drop in temperatures will be fairly drastic," said Hohenstein. "Highs Wednesday and Thursday will not make it out of the 30s."

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow will cause travel difficulties and limited visibilities.

Steve Abbott, with the NC Department of Transportation, tells NBC17 since the weather will begin with rain, his department can't salt brine the roadways. Abbott adds that his department will monitor the situation and adjust their plans as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary