Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,907 times

Advertisements

The tornado alley is selma and east and south. Raleigh and all the way up to Garner is safe and has statistically less in land hurricane and tornado activity.
Raleigh is INLAND. Stop panicking. Just make sure you watch the weather channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
I'm more afraid of tornadoes than hurricanes this far inland. Where does one go when there are no basements in these homes!?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
The tornado alley is selma and east and south. Raleigh and all the way up to Garner is safe and has statistically less in land hurricane and tornado activity.
Raleigh is INLAND. Stop panicking. Just make sure you watch the weather channel.
That's good news! My brother-in-law keeps saying they'll never move to Raleigh because of all the hurricanes, and I always thought he was full of it. I guess he's just kind of full of it!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,725 times
for the tornado around here it is advised to go to the lowest floor innermost bathroom or closet, or closet under the stairs. furthest away from windows, and protected from the outside by a few walls, rooms etc.
there's now the first tropical storm of the season off the coast of FL. and it starts.....
If the concern is the hurricanes I'd stay away form the outer banks, obviously. The parts that stick out normally are the ones that get it. Inland as Raleigh is, it's just a bad storm by then, and not the 100 plus mph winds that would first hit the coast.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:00 PM

125 posts, read 530,122 times
Keep in mind, the media blows everything so far out of proportion its sick. They want ratings afterall. Having lived in Florida for the past 2 1/2 years ive seen this first hand.. I think it was 2 summers ago, a hurricane came thru, it wasnt much of anything, and i actually think it may have just been a tropical storm .. The weather channel was out there on the coast in all their rain gear, and i swear they had an industrial fan off camera blowing on the guy as i was watching it on TV, i was looking outside and just laughing at all the hype they made about it. All we got was a little rain. I'd had rainier days in new york !
Dont get me wrong, a hurricane is a serious matter, but dont let the media paint this inaccurate picture about it.. We arent all sitting around with our flashlights, and transistor radios waiting for a hurricane to form once hurricane season starts.
I'd heard as well, that around cities, it is very hard for a tornado to form, because of the heat that they hold. You dont ever hear of tornadoes hitting kansas city right ? always seems to be way out in the country. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 PM

39 posts, read 166,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
Keep in mind, the media blows everything so far out of proportion its sick. They want ratings afterall. Having lived in Florida for the past 2 1/2 years ive seen this first hand.. I think it was 2 summers ago, a hurricane came thru, it wasnt much of anything, and i actually think it may have just been a tropical storm .. The weather channel was out there on the coast in all their rain gear, and i swear they had an industrial fan off camera blowing on the guy as i was watching it on TV, i was looking outside and just laughing at all the hype they made about it. All we got was a little rain. I'd had rainier days in new york !
Dont get me wrong, a hurricane is a serious matter, but dont let the media paint this inaccurate picture about it.. We arent all sitting around with our flashlights, and transistor radios waiting for a hurricane to form once hurricane season starts.
I'd heard as well, that around cities, it is very hard for a tornado to form, because of the heat that they hold. You dont ever hear of tornadoes hitting kansas city right ? always seems to be way out in the country. Someone correct me if im wrong.
I must respectfully disagree with you. As a degreed meteorologist, this is something I run into quite often. Tornadoes can and DO affect metropolitan areas. There is nothing about a city that protects itself from a tornado. Three that come to mind in recent years was the 1998 Nashville tornado, the August 1999 Salt Lake City tornado, and the May 1999 F5 tornado that struck Oklahoma City. There are countless other tornado events that have occurred in populated cities.

In fact, a F4 tornado ripped through North Raleigh back November 28, 1988. Here is a page with a full summary of the event... Raleigh Tornado

While tornadoes are not as common in NC as they are further west, the state is still susceptible to severe weather and tornadoes.

As far as hurricanes go, the biggest threats to the Raleigh area are inland flooding and tornadoes.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee18 View Post

While tornadoes are not as common in NC as they are further west, the state is still susceptible to severe weather and tornadoes.

As far as hurricanes go, the biggest threats to the Raleigh area are inland flooding and tornadoes.
And when there is flooding even with no tornados we have to watch for the "downed trees" and "downed power lines".

We lived on the coast, then goldsboro, now up in granville. And we do feel this is by far safer if a hurricane comes our way. BUT!!!!! they are unpredictable lil' buggers, ; but!!!! you can see them coming in advance and have notice.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's rare, but it can and has happened. The last hurricane that came through the triangle was Fran in the early 90's (can't remember exactly what year it was without looking it up). Quite frankly, the devastation was unexpected and took most of the area off guard. You can still actually see Fran debris in triangle parks. It's illegal to cut down or remove trees downed by storms in NC and many of them are still lying exactly where they were downed over 10 years ago.
I wouldn't worry about it though. I lived through Fran and really don't spend much time worrying about hurricanes.
ALso, although hurricanes are unpredictable, the worst time in NC for these storms tends to be towards the end of summer (August-September). I'm not saying it COULDN'T happen earlier, but that's sort of the general trend.
Isabel in 2003 went over the Northern parts of the area...but wasn't the biggest one...no major damage a few trees and such...short power outages....but it did effect the area.

I agree however, it really isn't much to worry about....just a pretty good wind and rain storm.

Now that I've said this.....watch, we are going to be hit with something major!!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

125 posts, read 530,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee18 View Post
I must respectfully disagree with you. As a degreed meteorologist, this is something I run into quite often. Tornadoes can and DO affect metropolitan areas. There is nothing about a city that protects itself from a tornado. Three that come to mind in recent years was the 1998 Nashville tornado, the August 1999 Salt Lake City tornado, and the May 1999 F5 tornado that struck Oklahoma City. There are countless other tornado events that have occurred in populated cities.

In fact, a F4 tornado ripped through North Raleigh back November 28, 1988. Here is a page with a full summary of the event... Raleigh Tornado

Ahh, thats news to me, and thanks for the good info!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Not expected to reach hurricane strength, but predicted (at the moment) to pass through the Triangle. At least you'll get some much needed rain out of it.

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary