Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Overrated?

Very.

But it's fine, it's nice, it's not exciting and it is pretty in areas in the spring and fall.

The job sitch here is not good, and it hasn't been great in the 8 yrs I've lived here. The 'recession' has lasted at least the last 8+ yrs (and don't think it hasn't). Will it improve? Maybe. Eventually. But this area will always be big on the sciences, agriculture and a few other key industries, but it's not a great place for I.T. and other computer/tech industries and I think that's not going to improve much.

I moved here from CA early 2002, had no job, had lost my job the year before in CA (tech bust), and I would not move here now if I didn't have a job. I don't know where I'd move, but it took me a long 2.5 yrs to get somewhat established in this area, and I'm very underemployed for my background and education. But it's a job and benefits and that rules my world since I don't have a trust fund or a sugar daddy.

I personally find it limited socially and it's geared more for families here so singletons with no kids, (esp those over 40) can feel out-of-place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Mostly yes. BUT the people here are wonderful!!! And a place is mostly about the people, don't you think?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Mostly yes. BUT the people here are wonderful!!! And a place is mostly about the people, don't you think?
I agree with you, if more of my friends from out of state relocated here it would be pretty nice.. However, I find it to be the other way around though... love the area, but the people are just eh... JMO

Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
... a lot of people do have misconceptions about what life is really like here based on a possible once-upon-a-time reality of cheap real estate and plentiful jobs.
THIS.

Quote:
Raleigh is in the PIEDMONT. which means FLAT
Actually, piedmont does NOT mean "flat"--it means "at the foot of mountains". It comes from French "pied" (foot) and "monter" (to climb) so I've always thought of it as literally meaning "a step up with your foot" from the coastal plain to our east. Now THAT's flat! The Piedmont is quite hilly in fact.

Last edited by Francois; 02-25-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Having lived my entire life in Florida (up until 2000), I find the area to be an extremely nice place to raise a family. My kids have freedoms here that they would not be allowed to have (for their safety) in Florida.

Yes, some of the local governments could use a few tips on planning, but coming from "the land of the strip malls and Disney", I still really like the area. Yes, it's hot in the summer, and we can sometimes (like now) have lousy winter weather. But the spring and fall are outstanding, and we're 2+ hours from the beach or the mountains, so you can change the weather fairly quickly if you'd prefer.

I still have high hopes for Research Triangle Park. I know some of the tenants have taken a hit recently (Nortel, Cisco, IBM, Lenovo), but I feel that with the concentration of colleges in the area, those companies will be back, along with the bio-tech industry. I've had the good fortune to travel to quite a few of the 50 states, and this area stacks up very well. The real estate prices are usually the killer in the other hot areas (Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley), so I'm happy to have my large house and 1/2 acre lot for less than a third of what they pay in those areas.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Having lived my entire life in Florida (up until 2000), I find the area to be an extremely nice place to raise a family. My kids have freedoms here that they would not be allowed to have (for their safety) in Florida.

Yes, some of the local governments could use a few tips on planning, but coming from "the land of the strip malls and Disney", I still really like the area. Yes, it's hot in the summer, and we can sometimes (like now) have lousy winter weather. But the spring and fall are outstanding, and we're 2+ hours from the beach or the mountains, so you can change the weather fairly quickly if you'd prefer.

I still have high hopes for Research Triangle Park. I know some of the tenants have taken a hit recently (Nortel, Cisco, IBM, Lenovo), but I feel that with the concentration of colleges in the area, those companies will be back, along with the bio-tech industry. I've had the good fortune to travel to quite a few of the 50 states, and this area stacks up very well. The real estate prices are usually the killer in the other hot areas (Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley), so I'm happy to have my large house and 1/2 acre lot for less than a third of what they pay in those areas.
I have to agree ... I've lived here 30 years but have had 9-15 months assignments in places like Houston, Santa Clara, Tampa, etc. We definitely live here by choice and if we had kids it would be even more so. I've probably said "no thanks" to relo offers half a dozen times.
Is it perfect here? No . If I was unemployed would I consider moving? You bet. Does it all balance out for me as better here than most areas? Yes.

Frank

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
In my experience the RDU area has a larger income disparity than a lot of other places. Either you make a lot of money and are comfortable or you are lower class and don't make much at all. Lots of tech/medical jobs and lots of lower end service jobs. Very few in between middle class jobs making $30k-$60k/year.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
In my experience the RDU area has a larger income disparity than a lot of other places. Either you make a lot of money and are comfortable or you are lower class and don't make much at all. Lots of tech/medical jobs and lots of lower end service jobs. Very few in between middle class jobs making $30k-$60k/year.
That suprises me - I would have thought the majority of people here would be making 30-60k a year.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
That suprises me - I would have thought the majority of people here would be making 30-60k a year.
I agree.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Great post! Yeah, I find the Triangle to be over-rated in the same way that sex is over-rated (over-rated but still great!).

I strongly disagree with the poster that said there is little to do with kids, I gotta believe they just haven't found stuff yet. And even if there is more to do in the North, who can afford to do it?!?
I must agree!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary