U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM

461 posts, read 1,501,394 times

Advertisements

plants? We want to get 2 year old asparagus crowns, not 1 year, and also to get a few heirloom tomato plants. Clearly the tomato plants are a few months out, but the asparagus we can start getting ready now (even though we won't be able to harvest and eat till the next year). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

9,077 posts, read 18,698,708 times
I saw asparagus crowns for sale at Logan's in DT Raleigh. I would contact them to see if they meet your needs.

Once the various farmer's markets start up in the Spring there are usually vendors selling heirloom tomato plants. I know their was a stand at the North Raleigh Market last year (near falls river) that didn't sell anything but heirlooms. I'm waiting for him to show up in April and get a plant or two from him then.

Logans | One Stop Garden Shop

Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM

464 posts, read 545,867 times
I asked a question about buying Cherokee Purple tomato seedlings on this forum last week, and someone posted a link to Cross Country Nursery (ChilePlants.com Home Page). I haven't ordered from them personally, but the poster who responded was happy with their products and service.

They offer 175 varieties of tomatoes, so hopefully they will have what you are looking for.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

461 posts, read 1,501,394 times
awesome thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM

100 posts, read 180,067 times
You might want to check out craigslist. Seems to me I remember ads for heirloom tomatoes last year. Should be able to pick them up in April.

A lot of people think the German Johnson is the best, however I have my favorites and they are: Big Rainbow, Cuostralee, Cherokee Purple - all big ones

Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM

857 posts, read 1,738,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
I asked a question about buying Cherokee Purple tomato seedlings on this forum last week, and someone posted a link to Cross Country Nursery (ChilePlants.com Home Page). I haven't ordered from them personally, but the poster who responded was happy with their products and service.

They offer 175 varieties of tomatoes, so hopefully they will have what you are looking for.

Hi! I am "someone"! (Finally).

Here is the source I purchased my 100 asparagus crowns from in 2008. They are killer plants and the variety I chose was Jersey Knight. There are great resources online to help you with the prep, planting and care instructions. I used the Ohio State University Extension website for most of the guidance. Your asparagus bible: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html

Here is the place I ordered from:

Nourse Farms, Inc.
41 River Rd.
South Deerfield, MA 01373
413-665-2658

http://www.noursefarms.com/

DM me if you would like advice, encouragement, recipes, etc. Always glad to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary